Galaxy 7.7 And Ais

diddums

To use a sim card that I use on an aircard on this tablet, do I have to download something from AIS ?

I presume the aircard has all the software within the contraption and if I simply take the sim card out and put it into the tablet, then it will need it from somewhere.

If so...anyone know where to get it from ? or what else required ?

A quick review of the user's guide indicates that you just need to pop the SIM and you're good to go.

You may ultimately have to configure an APN.

http://www.ais.co.th/faq/th/handset_setting.html

I assume you know this tablet can function as a GSM phone?

Yeah I have used it as a phone...albeit not convenient.

I took the sim out of the aircard and put it in the tablet.....it did not work.

Did you ever use a SIM in this device successfully before? Did you ever use this SIM in another phone successfully?

Can you expand at all on "it did not work"?

Did the device appear to recognize the SIM? Did you re-start the device? Is this SIM active? Can you check the balance and validity? *121# Can you put the SIM in a normal/regular phone? Can you make calls? Receive calls?

This is a One-2-Call pre-paid SIM? What is the SIM name, if you can remember? How old is the SIM?

What version of Android?

If you go in to Settings,

About device, Status - what does it say?

Model number?

Baseband version?

Settings, Wireles & NEtworks, more, Mobile networks, make sure Dtaa enables is cjecked....Access Point Names; are there any entries here? If so, select, if not, create.

Did you ever use a SIM in this device successfully before? Did you ever use this SIM in another phone successfully?Can you expand at all on "it did not work"?Did the device appear to recognize the SIM? Did you re-start the device? Is this SIM active? Can you check the balance and validity? *121# Can you put the SIM in a normal/regular phone? Can you make calls? Receive calls?This is a One-2-Call pre-paid SIM? What is the SIM name, if you can remember? How old is the SIM?What version of Android?If you go in to Settings,About device, Status - what does it say?Model number?Baseband version?Settings, Wireles & NEtworks, more, Mobile networks, make sure Dtaa enables is cjecked....Access Point Names; are there any entries here? If so, select, if not, create.

The simcard i use for internet only on another computer. It has an internet package deal all current.

I have another sim currently in the device which works fine for the phone.....i do not have internet package on this number as i do not want or need to pay 2 lots of costs.

All the tech question i shall answer when i get home and find a pen

I did put the sim i use for internet in this device, it worked no isue as a phone number, but could not access internet.

Sim is active. Balance and validity is irrelevant as have prepaid 250hr package.

This is why i am wondering if the software that is inclusive in the aircard, is needed to be downloaded to this tablet. The tablet does not have a usb port, so cannot put the aircard device in.....only the sim.

I did put the sim i use for internet in this device, it worked no isue as a phone number, but could not access internet.

This is key, and it would indicate that you simply need to manually configure an APN. I think I mentioned that in my first post, above, and provided a link with the necessary details/procedure.
  • Like 1

This is key, and it would indicate that you simply need to manually configure an APN. I think I mentioned that in my first post, above, and provided a link with the necessary details/procedure.

Ok shall give it a try.

Thanks

Some SIMs come with the APN information "baked in", and the device can pick this information off the SIM and automagically create, add and enable an APN. But not all SIMs have this detail baked in, especially older SIMs, and not all devices can read this information.

I am fairly certain you should be good to go once you've manually configured and enabled an APN for AIS/One-2-Call.

re

The tablet does not have a usb port, so cannot put the aircard device in

you can with a 150 baht usb adaptor .. available everywhere: )

dave2

The OP's device is 3G capable and accepts a SIM directly.

The OTG Cable solution you illustrate works for some low-power USB devices: mouse, keyboard, thumb-drive but it would not work with a USB aircard. (Yes, some tablets can be modded to use USB aircards,)