3G Dongles - Are They Available?

ravip

TrueMove do a USB dongle called an Aircard(I think).

I have one, not sure about the speed as haven't speedtested it, but its good enough for Skype video chat and other streaming.

Their 5gb package valid for a month costs about 800baht I think. Most of the alternatives are about the same from what I can see. True offer a larger data bundle also - forget the size and price 10GB/1200baht maybe?

Sent from my iPad-mini.

• Like 1

They are available in Bangkok. The usual speeds of air card are 7.2 and 21 mbps (mega byte per second) which you can select which speed you prefer and you can buy accordingly. I have been using a brand called iFox and it is doing very good so far. Based on promotions during a period of time, there are 3 main service providers which are AIS, DTAC, and True Move which you can check their internet packages and purchase a sim card along to use with an air card.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.totalaircard.com/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/573846-what-works-where-2g-3g-coverage-maps-thailand/

Recommendations would be based on more detail from you: location(s), requirements, budget, usage, duration of stay, etc.

My duration of stay is about 21 days per visit minimum of about 2 visits per year. Locations are near Don Muang Airport & Hua Hin/Cha Am area. I don't mind going in for a post paid package if it is cheaper as I can get it with my friends credentials (who would be using it in my absence, anyway). Usage mostly is for Skype & Email and of course for browsing the net for news etc - no, I don't need to download movies, music and other heavy stuff.

I hope this info is sufficient.

What is the make/model of your phone? I only ask as it might be able to function as a modem/MiFi device.

An 850 MHz/3G-capable aircard along with a TrueMove H or DTAC/Happy SIM, and a monthly volume-based data plan might offer the best solution? I wouldn't recommend a post-paid plan as it offers no benefits based on your stated requirements. You can get a 1/3/5/7 GB data plan. Just let the plan expire naturally - by making sure you don't have enough balance for it to automagically renew. Then maybe ask your friend to keep the SIM "alive" for you during your absences? For some/many SIMs keeping it alive simply requires one short completed call.

The links I provided up-thread should get you started.

Edited by lomatopo

• 2 weeks later...

What is the make/model of your phone? I only ask as it might be able to function as a modem/MiFi device.

An 850 MHz/3G-capable aircard along with a TrueMove H or DTAC/Happy SIM, and a monthly volume-based data plan might offer the best solution? I wouldn't recommend a post-paid plan as it offers no benefits based on your stated requirements. You can get a 1/3/5/7 GB data plan. Just let the plan expire naturally - by making sure you don't have enough balance for it to automagically renew. Then maybe ask your friend to keep the SIM "alive" for you during your absences? For some/many SIMs keeping it alive simply requires one short completed call.

The links I provided up-thread should get you started.

Samsung Galaxy Y Duos S6102 and Samsung Galaxy S Duos S7562. At the moment I am using a True Move number as my primary mobile (pre paid).

I suspect both of those phones are 900/2100 MHz 3G compatible, although there are two versions of the 6102 (6102B is 850) so you'd be limited to AIS/One-2-Call if you wanted to use one as a MiFi device and get 3G. (I've assumed these devices are capable of supporting this applicaiotn but you'd have to verify that with the user's guide(s).) You could also experiment with a TOT (2100 MHz) 3G SIM

Do you have a TrueMove SIM? Or a TrueMove H SIM?