Getting Married

chiangrai

Anybody know if I can get married in Chiang Rai.

I need a MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS to translate a letter from my embassy to say that

I am free to marry,and stamp it legal.

Then I can go to any amphue.

That's my understanding anyway.Has any body done it.

Is there a ministry of foreign affairs in Chiang rai

what I had to do was get a letter from my Embassy/Consulate in Chiang Mai , stating that I was 100 % Single . As I was married before , I had to also show my Decree Absolute . I was then issued with the letter to confirm I was now free to marry again.

I then took that letter to a lawyer , his office was next to the consulate in Chiang Mai , who put the paperwork together and sent all the documents to the Ministry in Bangkok. About 2-3 later the letter stating I was allowed to marry again arrived at my home address. I then took my passport and the other documents etc from Bangkok to the Amphur Office in downtown Chiang Rai . After a couple of forms that had to be signed ,and the big marraige registration book , we were then married. I think we had to pay 200 bht to the Amphur office for out certificates of marraige.

Can I add, I let my wife keep her name and not take my surname . the reason for this is she is Thai and having a farang surname DOES make things very awkward for her. All her documentation for her life needs to be changed and a big pain in the Butt. Also , having a farang name puts her at the bottom of any list when it comes to needing something . I have several friends who advised me that this was the best route to take for her .

Good Luck to you for the Future.

Sun.

That's great advice.

My consulate is in Bangkok so I must ask them if I have to go in person to get my permission to marry paper.

Can you recommend a lawyer in Chiang Rai.

There is now a new office of the ministry for foreign affairs in chiang rai,where the Thais get their passports.I wonder if they can handle marriages.

When we got married, the name change was required but I do seem to remember them changing that rule years later. It may still be necessary to distinguish between married or single on some forms of ID and certain tasks might be a little more tedious if you don’t have the same name, requiring more paperwork and still needing the husband to be involved.

You might want to check with the immigration people to see what their view is on name change, since getting a visa seems to be your main reason for getting married, as stated in previous posts.

"There is now a new office of the ministry for foreign affairs in
chiang rai,where the Thais get their passports.I wonder if they can
handle marriages."

I would simply call them and ask.

Edited by villagefarang

In rder to get marreid you must do the follwoing.

1. get the affirmation letter from your embassy/consulate.

2. Have this letter translated into Thai

3. Have this letter with the translation certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Afairs

3. Take the certified letter to any amphur and get married.

Chiang Mai has several translators, you should not pay more than 400 baht for the translation.

The Thai MFA is situated at the ground floor of the Chiang Mai provincial hall, just outside Chiang Mai, next to the passport office. The certification costs 800 baht for express service (submitted before 12:00), regular service is 400 baht and takes a few days, for 60 baht they send it to you by EMS.

Or do this all in Bangkok if you don't have a consulate in Chiang Mai (same prices apply). CR doesn't have a legalisation department.

Make a copy/scan of the certified document before you give it to the Thai MFA. (Immigration might want a copy of it)

At the amphur ask for the khor rhor 2 form, immirgation will an this next to the wedding certificate.

• Like 1

If you are using a Lawyer in Chiang Rai , it is better to take a Thai with you as some lawyers spoken English isnt so great , so if your Thai friend can translate for you , you should be able to get what you need. I would suggest going to several lawyers offices , because from my own experience , some will rob you anyway they can by over charging for the service you require , for instance , a 400 bht fee for a Thai , turns out to be 4000 bht for the farang . Sadly the over charging is only because some farangs think they are getting a good deal compared to western prices and pay the price the Thai lawyer asks for . If you find the descent lawyer who doesnt over charge and gives you good service , keep him for everything you need. .

Shop around for the best deal . It could save you thousands of Baht if you find the honest lawyer .

One Lawyer tried to charge me 20,000 bht for 1 hours work . I said it was far too much money for what he needed to do for me . He said , no problem for you , you are a farang and rich !! When I protested that he was over charging me and not good to do , he relented and halved his fee to 10,000. I then said it was still too much money for what he had to do , so eventually he dropped his price to 3,000 bht after alot of protest from me .

I said to him , thankyou very much and I will come back in a few days when I am ready to use your services. I then left his office never to return again .

I did find another Lawyer who has since moved his office to somewhere in Soi Sangkhong, its not far from the traffic lights at Den Ha, about 500 metres on the left side of the road heading towards town. Sorry I forgot his name and do not have any contact details for him but I am sure you will find his office if you look . He charged me 1000 bht for what I needed doing , and was excellent in his service .

Edited by sunholidaysun1

O.k so I can do everything in chiang mai,once I have the letter from my consulate.

Next I must contect my embassy and ask them if I have to turn up in person.

Can anybody recommend a translator near the MFA in chiang mai

If you are using a Lawyer in Chiang Rai , it is better to take a Thai with you as some lawyers spoken English isnt so great , so if your Thai friend can translate for you , you should be able to get what you need. I would suggest going to several lawyers offices , because from my own experience , some will rob you anyway they can by over charging for the service you require , for instance , a 400 bht fee for a Thai , turns out to be 4000 bht for the farang . Sadly the over charging is only because some farangs think they are getting a good deal compared to western prices and pay the price the Thai lawyer asks for . If you find the descent lawyer who doesnt over charge and gives you good service , keep him for everything you need. .

Shop around for the best deal . It could save you thousands of Baht if you find the honest lawyer .

It is very simple and a lawyer is not needed, it would only cost extra money for nothing.

• Like 1

Mario , when I got married a few years ago , it was the only option for me to avoid the confusion of what to do etc , the lawyer was the best option for me . Also there was no other route other than to use the Ministry down in Bangkok and rather than try to go through all the red tape and the travel etc to BKK from Chiang Rai , I took the cheap and easy option of getting someone to do everything for me .

I think if you can speak Thai or the office you use has English speaking Thai's ( Hard to find in Chiang Rai ) then all well and good. Or of course take the option I did , pay a small fee and get a legal expert to take all the stress out of doing it yourself.

O.k so I can do everything in chiang mai,once I have the letter from my consulate.

Do not know about Chiamngmai but if you go to the YMCA in the education complex oposite the office where the train library is they have a set scale for translating on the wall. I am not sure if they can sent them for the MFA stamps too. \If you meed more detailed directions there give me a pm.

If you are using a Lawyer in Chiang Rai , it is better to take a Thai with you as some lawyers spoken English isnt so great ,

Not if you contact K Virisak >> thaimarriagevisa dot com .. lives in Chiang Rai, speaks perfect English, has translation license ..

• Like 1

Before you get married read some posts in the "marriage and divorce section", trsut me it can be an eye opener.

Any woman who is not prepared to stay with you just as a partner and for company is not worth it, they need to be tested first, ver a period of years, thats these Thai girls I refer too.

Exepect the greatest times in your life but be prepared for the absolute worst, they cycle in and out of it! If you do get married enjoy the head games they have been tought since young to play, they play really well and any farang will go crazy and start looking inside yourself as to what you did wrong, the answer is nothing.

Alot of my friends are martied to Thai, i was, and i can tell you i have stroies up the ying yang that will scare the powho out of you.

If you found a rare speciman, which everyone claims until it turns into the midnight monster after being Cinderalla, then goodluck.

there is a translator in the MFA in Chaengwattana

Do not know about Chiamngmai but if you go to the YMCA in the education complex oposite the office where the train library is they have a set scale for translating on the wall. I am not sure if they can sent them for the MFA stamps too. \If you meed more detailed directions there give me a pm.

Only a translator registered with the MFA is allowed to do this job.

Trying to use someone unregistered, like the YMCA, just wastes your time and money, as it gets returned marked 'unacceptable'.

Only a translator registered with the MFA is allowed to do this job.

Trying to use someone unregistered, like the YMCA, just wastes your time and money, as it gets returned marked 'unacceptable'.

As I said check with the YMCA Chiangrai.

The gent I referenced in post #13 has been doing this work for more than 35 years. Besides speaking outstanding English and being registered, he has contacts in BKK that carry documents to MFA. His telephone contact is on his web site.

• 3 weeks later...