Who Rents Big Motorbikes In Chiang Mai?

rene123

I'm not talking about 250 D-Trackers. I already have one of those and love it. I'm looking for a 650 cc size Japanese bike like the Kawasaki ERN or the Versys. I would like to try one for the day just to see how I would like it. Since being in Thailand for 5 months I have fallen in love with riding and I am thinking of buying a motorbike when I get back to Canada, but first I want to try one. I think the 250 would be too small for highways in Canada where the roads are much safer. I would prefer a bike that could easily cruise at 120 km/hr and a bit faster if necessary. I checked with the Kawasaki dealer in town and they didn't know where I could rent one for a day. I'm hoping the gang here might be of more assistance.

all along thapae gate they are everywhere.

In the US the Ninja 300 is out, maybe Canada too 120kph no problem , wont struggle at all. CBR 250 will be a bit more winded.

Id recommend a 2004 up Suzuki SV 650, it'll smoke the ER6N , CBR 500 and Versys. Good used ones go for about $3500 usd and are built to last, v-twin and have adjustable clip ons. There are 3 models, half fairing, naked (handle bars) and full fairing.

Kawa ZX6R would be my second choice, comfortable riding position.I know a girl that has a Ducati Monster back in Socal and tells me she gets pummeled by the wind from lack of fairing.

120mph = 193 kph no problem

Edited by KRS1

POP have the lot! Versys, ER6F, ER6N, CBR500, CBR250R, KLX250. Check the mileage on them, some have done a LOT of miles and feel it, so worth bearing that in mind ie. they do not feel as tight as a new bike.

That high mileage could be why the other day when I saw a Honda CRF250L from POP's parked next to me

2012 I believe, I was so surprised

I glanced at it & was shocked when I saw the chain.

I have never seen so many frozen links on one chain.

I am amazed the rider didn't feel it

Edited by mania

My nephew was here(from Canada) in Dec and we rented 2- Kawi er6n (650cc) and was wanting to do the MHS-loop, after a night in Pai and setting out in the morning for MHS I went to overtake a car and suddenly had a major loss of compression, lucky we were only a km from Sop Pong and was able to drift in to town and land outside a bike service shop.

Unbelievable I had run out of oil! doing so with a high performance engine like these one would think the seals should be burned and major damage done. I rented from POP and was quick on the phone to her, she told me to ride the bike back "slowly" I said if I do so the engine will be toast. So we came to a compromise of letting the mechanic-shop owner truck the bike back to CM for 1500baht....at POP's expense.

The trip was kiboshed as I rode the nephews bike back to CM with him as a 200lb pillion.

Next day POP gave me another Kawi 650,with a free-day ride on a newer.lower km bike with much better performance..... BUT!...out and down the road to fill-up petrol and realize the oil is low...again!.... I put 1L of oil in the bike.

A Thai-friend told me it is a "scam-technique" to simulate engine damaged....and they would then try to pin it on "you" - I told him I know bike mechanics and I know my responsibility as a renter...which is NOT to crash the bike, it is THEIR job to maintain it. What a cheap trick if thats the case.

After we completed our 3-day ride and returned the bikes to POP, the owner-women showed me the problem of the bike

before...a burned out spark plug,not lack of oil.....mmm,really?.....how about the full tank of gas I just put in before breaking down-payback??..... "cannot, bike already rented out".....wow!....the er6n must have a safe-guard built in to protect the engine from oil loss.It really looked and smelled like the engine was in for a major re-build... She showed me the maintenance records and claims the oil was changed a week before I rented.....mmm whistling.gif

Anyways, the story is really only a warning of potential problems with rented bikes....Iam not saying POP is a problem,they were o.k handling the situation and I have rented a few times since from them.

My nephew was very impressed with the Ern6,it has balls of passing power but sport bikes must remain on pavement only,slippery even on minor gravel. He was talking about buying it in Canada for his daily highway commutes to the city.

I do recommend trying out these bikes if considering a purchase. Good thing about Kawasaki is the sizable service shop here,unlike Honda and Yamaha.

POP just got in a 2013 fleet of candy apple red Honda CB500 - worth a spin too! - I want to try the new Honda NC700X if I find it for rent.

Cheers and good luck on the road thumbsup.gif