Khao Yai National Park - Is It Any Good?

phuturatica

Hey there, my friend's parents are coming over to Thailand in a month or so (late 60's in age) and we're thinking of taking them to Khao Yai National Park. Has anyone ever been there and what do you think of it?

Is it best to do some kind of package tour there or just go there, wing it and do your own thing?

Also if anyone has any other suggestions... Are there any other national parks in Thailand worth visiting?

Thanks in advance!

I guess it depends on what you like but I'd say yes worth a visit.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a tour; drive, do your own thing - it's well signed in the park (not that you can get lost) and there are maps etc. Easy to walk to some of the waterfalls without special walkign gear too.

There's a few descent things on Tannarat Road (main road up to the park) which are worth stopping at like Palio and some of the restaurants.

Plenty of good hotels around too.

Enjoy your trip.

• Like 2

I was there recently for a few days.

First thing, do you have your own transport, or are you able to hire a car and drive yourself?

Enterance fee for farang is 400 baht per person, you like I live here so you pay 40 baht.

Find out how much a package tour would cost and what form of transport is used, I see these mini buses flying up that highway and give thanks I aint a passenger.

Yes its ok for a day out, but there are better places to go for free.

Sorry, forgot, for just to go there and wing it and do your own thing, you will need your own transport.

Edited by rgs2001uk

Well...Khao Yai is quite beautiful. As to other places, I guess it depends on what you want to see. I've been to some beautiful national parks around the world. Thailand's aren't in the same category as these. But still interesting.

What about Sukhotai? Lot's of stuff around Kanchanabuti. Chiang Mai can easily take up a week of exploring.

If you are headed up around Khorat, do see Phimai and the big banyan tree. Quite impressive.

• Like 1

You can hire a guide up in the park for walks and stuff, lot cheaper than outside services.

Depends what they want to do, you have to walk a bit to see anything interesting, or swim. Some waterfalls easily accessible.

Night tour is ok, might see few animals or elephants.

Food inside park is rubbish, outside better. If you drive in and out you can return same day free, but next day have to pay again.

Something to be careful of if your friends are as you say late 60's/not too fit. The waterfalls are an easy trek but when you get to them they have many steps going down. Not too bad until you start to climb the steps back to the top. Whew!!

Another site that seems interesting is the bat cave. There is one north of the park about half way to Pak Chong. Again the walk is not too difficult although about 3 klicks through the jungle. Except when you get there you have to climb 200/300 feet up a mountain side and if you wait until the bats appear it's dark when you need to climb back down!

Plenty of accomadation north of the park, restaurants and some entertainment. Only worth one day/night in my opinion.

Something to be careful of if your friends are as you say late 60's/not too fit. The waterfalls are an easy trek but when you get to them they have many steps going down. Not too bad until you start to climb the steps back to the top. Whew!!

Another site that seems interesting is the bat cave. There is one north of the park about half way to Pak Chong. Again the walk is not too difficult although about 3 klicks through the jungle. Except when you get there you have to climb 200/300 feet up a mountain side and if you wait until the bats appear it's dark when you need to climb back down!

Plenty of accomadation north of the park, restaurants and some entertainment. Only worth one day/night in my opinion.

So you are suggesting they walk 3 k's and then climb a mountain to see the bats that everyone drives out in front to see with a much greater view ?

So you are suggesting they walk 3 k's and then climb a mountain to see the bats that everyone drives out in front to see with a much greater view ?

Read the first sentence of my post!!

Edited by monsieurhappy

Read the first sentence of my post!!

So why recommend a 3k hike through the jungle when you can drive there and a climb up a mountain that is hard for someone half their ages......pointless you think not ??

I guess it depends on what you like but I'd say yes worth a visit.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a tour; drive, do your own thing - it's well signed in the park (not that you can get lost) and there are maps etc. Easy to walk to some of the waterfalls without special walkign gear too.

There's a few descent things on Tannarat Road (main road up to the park) which are worth stopping at like Palio and some of the restaurants.

Plenty of good hotels around too.

Enjoy your trip.

Just a wee word of caution. There are plenty of places to stop and look at/photo great views. Everything is unfenced so all wildlife is free to wander at will. In other words, keep you eyes and ears open when outside your vehicle. I agree you should use your own transport, not an organised tour. There is a large, cheap and very good restaurant (can't remember the Thai name) on the left, with a large car park, just before you get to the park entrance.

Sure, great place, skip the organized tour. Try to hit it on a weekday vs. weekend/holiday - can and does get crowded.

We enjoy tent camping out under the stars. Small camp fire/bbq, chairs and bamboo matts, a few beers, it's quite enjoyable if you/your guests are into this sort of thing. Fauna does come out in the evening/night. Had deer every visit, other critters, troop of monkeys a couple times, etc.

There are basic brick and mortar lodges inside the park and I presume more comfortable hotel/lodge/resorts outside before you enter, no info though we've always pitched a tent at sites further into the park.

Edited by 55Jay
  • Like 1

I think you need to check some facts first before you plan the trip.Going to Khao Yai is pretty expensive if you want comfort.The organised tour that picks you up is a mad price which cost 800 baht per one way for each person(transport only) and if two x 2. I would suggest you do the Kanchanaburi trip 4 days 3 nights is absolute good,cheap and well organised. The whole trip includes transport two ways, accommodation,7 meals,tickets for Tiger Temple,Elephant Riding, Trekking,Waterfalls,Rafting,Waterfalls etc.All this we paid only for as less then 4,800 baht each.Nothing else to worry,just packed and go. Kanchanburi is as good as Khao Yai because it is one of the largest National Park too and the journey take about 3 hours to reach.They even have 3 days 2 nights if you prefer.If you need some help on this just let me know.

As you are planning to go to the natural parks I assume they are interested in nature. If they are "reasonably" fit I would definitely recommend to hire a Ranger to take you along one of the trails. There are trails of different lengths to chose from. The Rangers are very knowledgeable and make sure you don't get lost, although their English is sometimes limited. But as you live here this should probably be OK. By doing this you get a chance to see the unspoilt nature, and limited "noise pollution" from other tourists.

One month from now is Songkran, and I believe all natural parks will be over crowded then. Try to avoid.

First thing, do you have your own transport, or are you able to hire a car and drive yourself?

Enterance fee for farang is 400 baht per person, you like I live here so you pay 40 baht.

Find out how much a package tour would cost and what form of transport is used, I see these mini buses flying up that highway and give thanks I aint a passenger.

Sorry, forgot, for just to go there and wing it and do your own thing, you will need your own transport.

The 40 Baht is only for Thai persons (with Thai ID card). Sometimes they let you in on a Thai driving license or Residence Permit, but this is actually not according to the book. I understand that they have started to get more strict on this lately. Last time in Kaeng Krachan NP they even gave me a pone number to call if I didn't believe them (I didn't call though)

You can hire a guide up in the park for walks and stuff, lot cheaper than outside services.

Depends what they want to do, you have to walk a bit to see anything interesting, or swim. Some waterfalls easily accessible.

Night tour is ok, might see few animals or elephants.

Food inside park is rubbish, outside better. If you drive in and out you can return same day free, but next day have to pay again.

The food I have had there has been OK. Standard Thai food. It could however depend on how many visitors they have. In low season the turnover is very low so difficult to keep a good stock.

Driving out for lunch and then back is possible, but not really practical. It takes too long time. Better in such case to bring some snacks to add to the local fare.

Sure, great place, skip the organized tour. Try to hit it on a weekday vs. weekend/holiday - can and does get crowded.

We enjoy tent camping out under the stars. Small camp fire/bbq, chairs and bamboo matts, a few beers, it's quite enjoyable if you/your guests are into this sort of thing. Fauna does come out in the evening/night. Had deer every visit, other critters, troop of monkeys a couple times, etc.

There are basic brick and mortar lodges inside the park and I presume more comfortable hotel/lodge/resorts outside before you enter, no info though we've always pitched a tent at sites further into the park.

Hi 55Jay,

I have often thought of camping in Thailand and you seem to have done this.

Have searched for information but not much available. Can you give any advice or information as to different places to go camping and is it expensive?

Appreciate your help.

Totally agree with that.. camping overnight is the only way to experience any national park in my opinion. Pa Gluay Mai campsite deep within Khao Yai is one of my favourite places in all Thailand... being woken up at 2am by an inquisitive wild samba deer right outside your tent is awesome. Can bring your own pitch or rent one from the rangers station.

The wild elephants often come out of the forest by the river and casually roam around this camp ground too, before the park officials arrive & comically shoo them away.

• Like 1

Hi 55Jay,

I have often thought of camping in Thailand and you seem to have done this.

Have searched for information but not much available. Can you give any advice or information as to different places to go camping and is it expensive?

Appreciate your help.

Done it a number of times in Khao Yai, but nearly 2 years since the last (I can't believe it's been that long!).

A quick google "camping in khao yai" would put you onto current info such as http://www.nakon-nayok.com/khao_yai_national_park.htm and wikitravel had some good info posted, including the current 400 baht farang entrance fee - try your Thai DL if you have one for local price.

There are camp sites well into the park or you can stay in lodge around the visitor's center, which I wouldn't do personally. Get up to the camp sites around noon and check them out, but have your kit set up early so you aren't fumbling around in the dark.

We don't rent anymore but wife seems to remember our first couple times, tent and gear was in the 200 baht range for both of us.

Things I recall / recommend far as KY is concerned:

1. Take your own flashlight(s)/battery powered latern(s). A pack of those yellow candles comes in handy too. It gets DARK! If no clouds, you'll have a nice star ceiling. Big moon is a plus.

2. Don't forget towels, shampoo and soap.

2a. I sneak into the rudimentary ladies shower stalls with my wife at night vs. using the men's open air pool and bucket of variably cold water, better or worse depending on time of year and how long after sunset you wait to do the deed. Water shrivels your balls up just the same in the ladies. A real eye opener either way.

3. Take a light jacket and hat, especially in cool season, quite a bit of dew in the air, and it makes things damp/wet and chilly.

4. If the Ranger tells you to seek higher/dry ground for your tent, due to chance of rain, take that advice. We didn't once, camped in our favorite (low lying grassy) area, it poured down for an hour+, tents were water logged and underwater, leeches found us. We slogged out of there about 2000 in ankle deep water, mud, leeches, soaked, cold..... Sure the Ranger had a good laugh.

5. Possibility of your camp site being razed at 0200 is 90% deer, 7% skunk or porcupine, 3% monkey or ?

6. There's a canteen where we stay, closes pretty early, opens in the morning, prices for just ok food are reasonable, staff a bit frosty. Same as our camping gear, we started taking our own coolers with food and beverages. When the canteen closes that's it, so plan ahead, especially if you have kids.

7. Don't trek off at night, or even in the day time too far without a guide. We did a walk out once mid-morning on our own, about 3/4 mile out and back, but I wouldn't do much more than that. It's not an amusement park or a petting zoo, there are critters in the forest.

8. Go on a weekday and ensure it's not a holiday. We learned it the hard way one weekend, surrounded by yapping people who talk loud like they were downtown BKK next to the skytrain, kids crying and screaming, trash, radios playing, drunk Thais yelling at night. Never again. Every time we've been on a week day, if we aren't the only ones at the camp site, there are few and far between. You really get to enjoy deafening quiet (your ears ring for a while at first it's so quiet), sounds of the forest and animals at night, waterfalls, etc.

Dam_n, typing all this, I see us heading up there. Very soon.

Edited by 55Jay
  • Like 2

Not go allone in the jungle! Tour guide told me, many people not believe , never find the exit again! And the animal have a free breakfast ..

haha... there are claims that wild Tiger still live within Khao Yai's boundaries, but i'm not so sure about that. Clouded Leopard is a (very rare) resident however.

In the visitor centre near HQ there used to be a huge stuffed Tiger (still there?) complete with the visible bullet wounds where it was shot dead a few decades ago, it attacked & killed somebody & was hence hunted.

The 40 Baht is only for Thai persons (with Thai ID card). Sometimes they let you in on a Thai driving license or Residence Permit, but this is actually not according to the book. I understand that they have started to get more strict on this lately. Last time in Kaeng Krachan NP they even gave me a pone number to call if I didn't believe them (I didn't call though)

I paid 40 Baht with my Thai student ID (uni) one week ago.

Things I recall / recommend far as KY is concerned:

good advice, & i would add...

9. if you go out walking during the day, leave nothing in your tent and leave it open/unzipped - if you don't, you may find upon your return that it has been totally ransacked & torn to bits by the cheeky macaques.. they will rip their way into any unattended tent looking for food or whatever.

I was in Khao Yai with my in laws. They are in 70 years. I drove from Bangkok up there. Visiting Khao Yai is not only the national park you will visit but also its environments around Khao Yai. There are several Vineyards in the area which you can stop by and you can take a tour around such as Khao Yai's Vineyard or Moon Soon Valley vineyard and there have a good food but kind of expensive. You can stop at farmChokChai for a Steaks and have visiting tour inside the farm. You can stop at fruits stand on the high way to Khao Yai. There are several new opened resorts you can visit on the way to Khao Yai. If you stay over night in Bungalow on Khao Yai, you can take night tour to see the animals by night (of course if you lucky enough to see any!). There are foods stands up in the information area so you do not need to bring anyfood with you. And to go back home, you can drive the car back to exit another side of mountain which will give you other view of Thailand(assume you know the area). Of course some area in Khao Yai will be difficult to walk for the elderly buy in general it is manageable.clap2.gif

I took a trip on my bike to Phu hin Ronkla & Phu ta buk a short time ago. AMAZING! Great camping or chalets if you prefer. Trully breathtaking views. Only advice: Take beer if you like a drink coz they don't sell alcohol in the national parks. Worth a look mate. Hope you enjoy wherever you go. Joe

• Like 1

• 3 months later...