Bang For Your Buck - Photos Of Apartments In Cm

Malthus101

Howdy folks

I am planning on coming to CM in April with the intention of staying for a year, possibly longer. I will stay at a guest house or similar in CM on arrival and spend a few weeks/ a month looking for a permanent home.

It occured to me that if there were a thread showing photos of homes that people have found in CM, and some basic facts about the costs and locations etc, it would not only be helpful to me but to anyone looking to rent here too in the near future.

I am looking for a studio / 1 bed with or without a kitchen depending on price. I do require a good shower though with hot water.

I will need to install my own private high-speed internet connection. (extra cost of course)

I am looking in the 4,000 - 5,000 Baht range but anything cheaper or more expensive within reason would be interesting to look at. I just want to get a good feel for what people have found and compare them all before making a final choice.

Criteria would be:

Photos!

Price

OK to install internet or comes with wi-fi (useful to others)

Kitchen or not

Bathroom / hot water

Anything else like maids / security / parking / night porters / guards etc.

If a thread like this already exists, I apologize in advance (please post a link)

If not, it would be very interesting to see what people have found.

Thanks

Malthus101

More bang for your buck 4sure....after someone pops this bubble, then I will be licking my chopstick smile.png

Unless I won a lottery, otherwise no one can talk me into buying anything right now.

You should be looking at the web sites of some of the Chiang Mai real estate companies. Such as Chiang Mai properties, In Focus real estate, Jasmine homes, Ping properties. All these companies have have homes and condos listed for rent. Complete with prices and pictures.

Exactly!

You should be looking at the web sites of some of the Chiang Mai real estate companies. Such as Chiang Mai properties, In Focus real estate, Jasmine homes, Ping properties. All these companies have have homes and condos listed for rent. Complete with prices and pictures.

4/5,000? jeeze it will get you a cheap room on edge of town no bigger than 30 ish sq meters - to get a studio (40 sq meters up) 7/8,000 and anything good 10,000 up. If you want a nice room of 80 sq meters you must be thinking of 15,000/20,000 - why such a low budget? it's 150US

You won't be able to install your "own private high-speed internet connection." in a 4K/month rat hole in the city. Get out of the city and spend 6-8K THB and get someplace decent and then you can install whatever Internet service you want. They don't want people drilling holes in those cheapo temporary rooms. Besides they make a profit on the lousy Internet service they provide for you.

• Like 2

Despite what a lot of negative commenters will say, you can find decent, clean housing in your price range. I stayed in a studio at Huay Kaew Residence for 4000/month with a 6+ month contract and I didn't look very long. It has a very good location, not loud, decently clean, and there is a website.

Your best bet is to diligently look at apartments yourself, don't trust photos and descriptions in advertisements. When you're scouting, ask to see several rooms in different areas. Take into consideration if it gets morning or afternoon sun, if it faces the street/parking lot, what kind of neighbors it has. Ask any tenants you see about their opinion of the place, the high and low points, especially farang.

Here are some important questions:

What area of the city do you want to live in?

Along that line, what will you be doing here for work, fun, etc?

Will you have your own transportation, i.e. car, scooter, other, or will you be relying on others?

If you can answer these questions, it will help a great deal. If you still can't figure anything out, pm me. I'll assist if I can.

Thanks guys

Area, that I don't know as I have never been to CM and have not arrived yet. It's something I need to work out when I get there.

I would like to be as close to the "centre" of the city I suppose, it's what I'm used to in London but if I can get what I need further out, it might be better to do that and rent/buy a scooter when I come out.

Reason for aiming at 4-5K Baht is to keep expenditure as low as possible. I won't be working so am living off savings; the less I spend on rent, the longer I can stay/spend on food/going out etc.

Malthus101

Thanks guys

Area, that I don't know as I have never been to CM and have not arrived yet. It's something I need to work out when I get there.

I would like to be as close to the "centre" of the city I suppose, it's what I'm used to in London but if I can get what I need further out, it might be better to do that and rent/buy a scooter when I come out.

Reason for aiming at 4-5K Baht is to keep expenditure as low as possible. I won't be working so am living off savings; the less I spend on rent, the longer I can stay/spend on food/going out etc.

Malthus101

well good luck and I was commenting more on condos than 'residencies' which are more like hotels/guest houses - try Veerechai Court - in your price bracket and off thapae Road

You never know until you're on the ground and looking.

One day I was walking down a side street within three blocks of Nimmanhaemin Road itself, and asked a woman sitting out in front of a ratty-looking building if she had any rooms.

She had several. I took one for 2500, and had excellent internet service from the building at 300. They also permitted True and 3BB to install, but I never saw the need. It was a small studio, but there was an adequate kitchen, air-conditioning, and free cable.

I took a big jump up a year later, but in the same neighborhood.

5500 baht.

These are old buildings, and sparsely furnished rooms. If you want nicer stuff at the same price, head over to the east or southeast side. Be advised, however, that flooding occurs almost every year in that zone, and although it's not life-threatening, being evacuated for a few days is annoying and dangerous.

Thanks guys

Malthus101

well good luck and I was commenting more on condos than 'residencies' which are more like hotels/guest houses - try Veerechai Court - in your price bracket and off thapae Road

HI binjalin

Yes I am looking for a studio or a 1 bed, not a guesthouse. Only a guesthouse for the first month just to become aquainted with the city.

Thanks.

One day I was walking down a side street within three blocks of Nimmanhaemin Road itself, and asked a woman sitting out in front of a ratty-looking building if she had any rooms.

She had several. I took one for 2500, and had excellent internet service from the building at 300. They also permitted True and 3BB to install, but I never saw the need. It was a small studio, but there was an adequate kitchen, air-conditioning, and free cable.

5500 baht.

These are old buildings, and sparsely furnished rooms. If you want nicer stuff at the same price, head over to the east or southeast side. Be advised, however, that flooding occurs almost every year in that zone, and although it's not life-threatening, being evacuated for a few days is annoying and dangerous.

Hi - I don't mind old buildings, just so long as power and water pressure are constants. I know in some countries this is not the case, like Argentina for example.

It's info like this that I'm trying to glean, so thanks. Having looked at a few website, what I want is a 20,000 Baht condo at the price of 5,000! So, obviously I am going to have to make compromises somewhere!

Thanks.

• Like 1

5500 baht.

Hi - I don't mind old buildings, just so long as power and water pressure are constants. I know in some countries this is not the case, like Argentina for example.

It's info like this that I'm trying to glean, so thanks. Having looked at a few website, what I want is a 20,000 Baht condo at the price of 5,000! So, obviously I am going to have to make compromises somewhere!

Thanks.

It's been my experience that power is quite reliable in Chiang Mai, but when it does go out, it takes rich and poor alike. Matter of fact, the most expensive place I've stayed also had the most erratic electrical service, because the load it was drawing outstripped the engineering on the supply side.

Usually, the problem is related to entire zones, not individual buildings.

Water pressure's not likely to be a problem, but when it is you'll have lots of company in your misery. I think I've sat through one water outage in three years. That was because the building drew all its water from a well, and the pump burned out.

5500 baht.

Odd comment, I've been living in the S/SE for 8 years and it flooded once, it lasted 3 days and we just waited it out. Also had a friend in Nimmen area that got flooded out by heavy rain one year. Also know others in the Maejo and Ruamchok areas where it doesn't flood who were flooded. Acts of God can also include earthquakes, most are unlikely but can happen anywhere.

5500 baht.

Odd comment, I've been living in the S/SE for 8 years and it flooded once, it lasted 3 days and we just waited it out. Also had a friend in Nimmen area that got flooded out by heavy rain one year. Also know others in the Maejo and Ruamchok areas where it doesn't flood who were flooded. Acts of God can also include earthquakes, most are unlikely but can happen anywhere.

Well, it's sort of important to know that flooding often occurs in a general area. I have a few friends in Haiya who were evacuated for three days during the last flooding, and it wasn't a lot of fun for them.

How do you start a flood on a mountainside? Maybe the drainage canal overflowed?

Congratulations on your good fortune.

• 1 month later...

Re-joining my own discussion again!

I have heard that out by the university is a nice bit of town to live - got my ticket now so will be in CM by end of April, just.

If I took a place for 6 months and had Internet installed, would I be able to transfer my contract to a new home for thr remaining 6 months if I moved? (possible in the UK but don't know about Thailand.

Thanks

Malthus101

5500 baht.

Thanks.

Power and water pressure are never constants, try another country.

To me, it's all about the electric rates. Huay Kaew Residence charges 7, I believe, some in bkk CHARGE UP TO 13, i'M PAYING 3.7 IN THE US.......BTW, when I sold my house in 2008 (my attorney's house), I lived in an apartment on MM soi 7. 2500 inc. cable, and water/electric...no air/con.....they were real pricks about leaving phone chargers plugged in etc..., but damn that was cheap. Also, about 3 out of 4 people don't get their deposits back.....another reason to stay at a place like New Mitrapap for 300 per night..........but I'm looking to buy a cheap condo.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of guesthouses, as the women are always asking questions and nosey about what you are doing. seems intrusive, but i know they are trying to be nice.

if you are very low on money, then i say 3500 as the minimum. if worried about money, 4500 and remember another 700 in electric and water, etc...so 5200. if you have money and not too worried, go to 8,000. if you have plenty of money, and no problem at all, go to 14,000 and you should be fine.

remember, you will likely spend a lot of your time in your room.....so get a good one if you can.

Malthus101, on 13 Mar 2013 - 04:31, said:

Thanks guys

Malthus101

Then why the need for a private high speed internet line?

As has been stated here earlier not that not many areas in your price range are going to let you do that.

My primary concern is the area and the view. I would rather have a different accommodation but I am not out to impress others with where I live and how big it is. I am here to enjoy where I live.

Forgot to mention pictures are real but for some reason when you see the actual residency they loose their appeal.

Edited by hellodolly

Malthus101, on 13 Mar 2013 - 04:31, said:

Thanks guys

Malthus101

Then why the need for a private high speed internet line?

As has been stated here earlier not that not many areas in your price range are going to let you do that.

My primary concern is the area and the view. I would rather have a different accommodation but I am not out to impress others with where I live and how big it is. I am here to enjoy where I live.

Forgot to mention pictures are real but for some reason when you see the actual residency they loose their appeal.

Hi

My main reason for coming is to have time to dedicate to my studies which is all online and involves live video tutoring and lots of realtime data etc so high speed important (and relaibility!)

Yeah, doesn't have to be huge but a balcony and view of some vegetation would be nice! Is it common to have washing machines in private apartments in Chiang Mai? I'm assuming not.

Thanks for help.

Now you have mentioned the area where you can expect to have a real problem. Internet. Here you can expect high speed one hour and the next hour extremely slow. Also the area and building you live in can have an effect on internet. Whatever you do make sure you have a back up for internet something like AIS air card.

• Like 1

Now you have mentioned the area where you can expect to have a real problem. Internet. Here you can expect high speed one hour and the next hour extremely slow. Also the area and building you live in can have an effect on internet. Whatever you do make sure you have a back up for internet something like AIS air card.

Agreed. I have an AIS air card for a back up but the darn thing keeps disconnecting. They tell me they are working on the equipment and all will be well in May. I am hoping for a June or July time.LOL