Plodprasop Pushes For 'master Map': New Mapping Database To Be Set Up

webfact

New mapping database to be set up
The Nation

Bt140-bn plan for standard maps for all agencies to avoid confusion

BANGKOK: -- A mapping database using a 1:4,000 scale will be made available in the next five years in a move to standardise usage as well as help prepare for long-term planning and development in the country, Deputy Premier Plodprasop Suraswadi said yesterday.

The GPS system would be useful when implementing some projects under the Bt350-billion water-management scheme and the Bt2.2 trillion strategy for large-scale infrastructure, he said, in addition to other projects such as setting out farming zones or forest and land management.

Many government agencies have used a variety of maps with different scales, which has proved problematic when data is shared. For instance, a 1:250,000 ratio is used to designate areas as national parks, while the Land Department uses a 1:40,000 scale for land management, causing confusion over several issues as both agencies have to work together closely.

The Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand uses a 1:2,500 standard, while most other agencies rely on a 1:50,000 scale. The Metropolitan Electricity Authority is the only agency that uses the 1:4,000 scale for reference when distributing electricity bills in Bangkok and neighbouring provinces.

Plodprasob said the mapping scheme would cost around Bt140 billion. But it would be precise and an important strategy in long-term developments and policy-making. It would boost investor confidence, while the Kingdom was becoming a high-income nation from a moderate-income one.

Aerial photographs, satellite images and modern mapping technology assisted by the global positioning system (GPS) will be incorporated into the database to make mapping and re-designation very accurate.

On farmland zoning, he said, enhanced images could show which plots are being used to grow crops. The system would also allow high-resolution photographs that would help the government work out exactly what areas were damaged by flooding and who needs to be compensated.

Half of the budget to set up the communal database would come from the Bt350 billion for water management, while the remaining Bt70 billion will be provided by the government, Plodprasob said. The project's terms of reference should be ready shortly, possibly by next week, he added.

A new agency will possibly be set up to run this new project.

At the moment, all mapping reference operations are run by Thailand Spatial Data Infrastructure (TSDI), which falls under the jurisdiction of the Geo-Infomatics and Space Technology Development Agency.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-12

Having worked at Ordnance Survey, the UKs national mapping agency I can really see the benefit in moving to a standard that covers the whole country.

Five years seems an ambitious timescale to me but advances in digital technology will help get the job done.

I am truly amazed at the 140 billion bht cost. Seems a huge amount to me.

Ordnance Survey, widely regarded as one of the best mapping institutions in the world costs 3 maybe 4 billion bht per year.

• Like 2

What a load of crap. The idea of a common map is a good one, but the belief that it will cost billions to implement is just crazy. What kind of cartography department do they have here? Can't they just change the scale and print new maps that reflect the new scale? And what about the military, do they use a different system? Maybe the military only has maps for the border regions of Thailand. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

maybe the US could lend them a couple of planes with some high powered cameras to do all the work for them, for free??

Good one. They would have to check with China first for permission.

Accurate maps at such a large scale *are* expensive, and Thailand needs them. The currently available digital data layers are scattered, incomplete, out-of-date, and riddled with errors.

This is not just a question of locating roads, water bodies, and other items you can "see" in a satellite image or aerial photo. One of the most critical data layers required is accurate elevation data, which requires either high resolution stereo images or LiDAR (laser-based sensing). Both of these data sources are labor- and capital-intensive as well as time-consuming to acquire.

This is a far more worthwhile expenditure of my Thai taxes than giving rebates to first-time car owners. I just worry that they will will not do the job right. (And I'm sure they will outsource significant parts of the effort - as they should.)

Let me get this straight, out of the 140 Billion (blink.png ) 70 would be taken from the 350 Billion emergency budget to prevent flooding, approved by decree, bypassing parliamentary scrutiny because, well, it was an emergency and the money is needed right this instant! This money, from that emergency fund is to be used in a dubiously connected way its intended purpose 7 years after the emergency decree?