Morgage On A Shera Built Home?

Hi, i'm thinking of having a house built useing Shera board, but what I wanted to know is, if I was to sell it later, would the person, Thai or Farang, be able to get a morgage on it. I've been told the Banks will only lend money if the house is built of brick or block, is this true.

If this is true & I was to build the shell in brick, can I use stud partitions & plasterboard, gypsum for the interior walls, like they do in England, or is that frowned upon? One of the reasons I would like to use plasterboard is I don't want any posts in the corners & I didn't want to use double brick, because of the expence & also I can't lay a brick but I can do stud partitions & I wanted to do a bit myself. Any help want be apreciated. Thanks
Edited by lopburi3
correct font

Value is in the land, not so much in the building.

Banks give a mortgage based largely on that land value, the house is more a confirmation that someone lives there and of course the ability to pay back a mortgage.

A house would need to be of superior build, size or quality to have an effect on the availability of a mortgage.

Hello,

When you state "Shera-Built" home; I am assuming that you are trying to convey a house built following the "Stick-Built" method ?

If this is the case, then you have two (2) choices in Thailand:

1. Timber Frame construction

2. Light-Weight Steel Frame construction.

For the purpose of constructing a dwelling in Thailand, the Steel-Built (Light-Gauge steel Studs) would be preferable, for many practical reasons, which I would be happy to explain to you if you send me a PM.

Did you know that a Steel-Framed home is (from a construction-technical point of view) is many times stronger than a conventional concrete Post & Beam discipline ? ? - Furthermore; the thermal-insulation capabilities are far superior to the traditional method of construction !

There is now a company in Thailand who will actually "engineer" your house-plan and then supply all the steel studs, dwangs, headers, base-plates etc. together with a computer-generated plan, which simply allows you to construct your home by "following-the-number" (each "part" has a number printed on it and as long as you follow these <> the plan; even a total layman can put this together. There's no cutting; planing; fooling-around: it all fits together lile a hime built out of Lego-Blocks.

BTW: this particular factory has machines imported from NZ and the engineers have also been trained there.

With regards to being able to get a mortgage on a home built in this way: NO PROBLEM at all.

I look forward to helping you realize your project.

wai.gif

To the OP: "house built using Shera board" doesn't even make sense? It's like saying "I'm going to build a house out of Vinyl Siding"

As to the using plasterboard/studs for interior walls; it's not common practice in Thailand for a number of reasons, such as:

- Termites (will eat the paper on the plasterboard, and will eat wooden studwork)

- Flooding/Water/Humidity

Cost-wise I don't think it would be any cheaper. Bricks are quite cheap and the big white QCon bricks are very easy to lay (even for someone with no brick laying experience). The double wall method is, IMHO, the only way to go. Just lay the bricks yourself, then have a more experienced technician come and do the concrete rending (as this part is a bit trickier if you want it to look good).

Did you know that a Steel-Framed home is (from a construction-technical point of view) is many times stronger than a conventional concrete Post & Beam discipline ? ?

And this is based on what calculations? Surely a concrete column has a far higher compression strength than a steel beam? Are you using some kind of strength-to-weight ratio to make these statements? In which case you could say a piece of A4 is stronger than concrete because it's got a higher strength-to-weight ratio?

Thanks everyone for your coments, good or bad. I was originaly going to build useing a metal frame, & then on the outside use Shera Board, which is a cement composit board. On the inside I said about useing stud partions, I would have either used Shera again for the frame,[ studs] they make something similar to a 2x4 in the same material, or the u shaped aluminum, then I was going to cover them with plasterboard, & then have it plastered, nowhere would I have used wood. A lot more people are useing plasterboard now then 10 yrs ago, but mainly on the ceilings, I never gave it a thought about termites eating the paper.

I have spoken to the local bank, & after a lot of confusion, they have told me that, yes they will lend money on a house useing steel frame & Shera board clading, but they won't lend the same percentage as they would if the house was built of bricks & morter. So if I was to build useing Shera board or anything else for that matter, which was not bricks/blocks & morter, it would make it harder to sell, if I was to sell, because the person buying would have to find extra cash for the deposit.

I hope all that makes sense, I'm not the best when it comes to explaining things.

Thanks again