Cam Ranh Experiences

NewGuy

I'll be arriving at Vietnam's Nha Trang airport early in April and notice that it is located about 40 Kim's away at Cam Ranh (of Cam Ranh Bay fame) and am thinking of staying there for a few days before busing it to Nha Trang itself. Has anybody been in Cam Ranh in the past few years? What's the scene? I just can't find any tourism info (to dos, guesthouses, beaches, restaurants and bars). Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Best to get the taxi from the airport direct to Nha Trang. Their are a few places of potential interest at Cam Ranh, but not enough to justify staying there. Take a look at Travelfish website it will give you more details

I agree with simple 1 about Cam ranh. Better to head straight to Nha trang.

Nha trang got a nice feel to it. The main beach in town is clean and there are nice restaurants and bars there. You can take a cable car over to Vinpearl land for a day to enjoy quite a good water park with lots of nerve breaking slides etc. Around 6 pm there is a "Water fountain" concert with water being ejected upwards on a big stage with changing lights and music. Quite nice.

About 20 km south of Nha trang towards the Can ranh airport there is a nice remote quiet beach without any resorts, the "Long beach" you mentioned. Just a few basic restaurants on the beach selling drinks and seafood. You can rent a motorcycle in town to get there. A few km north of Nha trang there is a ferry to a "monkey island".

Until beginning of April the weather is a bit cooler than Bangkok and ho chi minh and there is a constant nice breeze. Nice to rent a scooter in town and ride to the north and south of the town to explore the ocean views from the road.

Food is good in Nha trang and it got a nice laid back feel to it....hotels are quite cheap outside the winter high season and TET new year...

Edited by peterbkk

• 2 weeks later...

There are a couple of resorts along the road between Cam Ranh airport and Nha Trang. There are also a couple more under construction. However, all of these resorts are upper class and quite expensive. The vibe is nice though. Otherwise, for something cheaper but still really nice, try the area along the southern waterfront in Nha Trang. I'm talking about the wharf area where you have ferries and the cable car running to Vinpearl island and the islands in that area. There is a nice hotel for around US$25-30 a night where I stayed which is inside a housing estate. Only problem is it's a bit of a hike to a nice beach. It's quite new and since it's off the beaten tourist track not many travellers stay there but it's really quiet and modern. Check the Agoda website for details.