Bangkok Riders Horrified By Skytrain Doors Opening Before Station

webfact

Riders horrified by BTS doors opening before station

By Coconuts Bangkok

BFH8Ig4CMAAtrJz-578x433.jpg

Photo: @zungzae

BANGKOK: -- The safety of BTS riders has become a hot topic after one BTS passenger tweeted photos of BTS doors that prematurely opened before the train car had arrived at its platform.

This morning, Tanyatorn Kirdmuang, @zungzae, was on BTS Sukhumvit Line, moving toward Mo Chit station, when the cars stopped right before it approached Siam station. She said that the doors stayed open for few minutes without any announcement from the conductor.

t.jpg

Tanyatorn’s first photo was retweeted over 1,400 times [more]

Full story: http://www.coconutsbangkok.com/news/riders-horrified-by-bts-doors-opening-before-station/

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-03-12

• Like 1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably no maintenance in all the years they have been in operation. Some of those older train carriages could use a little TLC.

Happens on the London Underground on a regular basis - even with their very strict maintenance schedules. And on new(ish) rolling stock so not just a Thai problem.

LUL Trains, RMT official circulars
DISMISSAL – RAVI SOORIAH – TRAIN OPERATOR – WEST RUISLIP – LUL

Submitted by admin on 3 December, 2010 - 17:12

From Bob Crow, General Secretary:

I write to advise branches that brother Ravi Sooriah has beencdismissed by LUL following an incident of wrong side opening. It is our firm belief that he is being victimised and has been very harshly treated by management. Following a resolution from his branch the General Secretary has decided to ballot all train grade members at West Ruislip for strike action and industrial action short of a strike.

Preparations for the ballot are currently taking place and I shall keep branches advised of any further developments.

It is not always an electro-mechanical problem - drivers have even been known to open doors manually between stations or as in the case above, on the wrong side.

A good job they don't have traffic light cameras on the London Underground - at least one crowded commuter train goes through a red light every week. Wow, who can believe than an RMT member would do that? But the Union put that down to inadequate training and thus blamed the management!

Personally I think Skytrain is pretty safe. Safer than the Chinese High Speed trains that TH wants to buy. I'll stick to minibuses to go to Pattaya when the train comes.

Still for now I'll keep using the buffalo - it doesn't have doors - but it IS high maintenance, just ask my wife and my bank manager.

This is a not a joke folks. You may think it funny to make light of this, but if you were there next to this door, especially in a crowded car as they often are, you might find yourself face first on the tracks.

Why is there no emergency CLOSE button on the BTS doors?

• Like 1

We have the exact same skytrain system in Vancouver. Never heard of such an incident here. BTW the Bangkok system is newer and has aircon carriages.

And I bet the advertisement inside the carriages is louder. What say?

....those frequent and at times extremely abrupt stops are indicative of a serious design or maintenance issue....

...the shuttle service to the airport had a section where a piece of the rail would slam up into the undercarriage...this during the flooding....

....the supports of the whole system undoubtedly were affected as well....

• Like 1

This is a not a joke folks. You may think it funny to make light of this, but if you were there next to this door, especially in a crowded car as they often are, you might find yourself face first on the tracks.

Why is there no emergency CLOSE button on the BTS doors?

Of course it is not a joke.

But nobody got his face first on the tracks.

Now just check the fatalities on the roads, if you care to compare levels of danger in Thailand.... If.

• Like 1

Probably no maintenance in all the years they have been in operation. Some of those older train carriages could use a little TLC.

actually its all german train technology !

its technically impossible to have any kind of accidents or things like doors open outside a station.

the conductor must force it to do so .. (in germany the driver need to have a written "order" to do things like this, have to press alot of buttons and stand the horrible alert buzzer anyway) if he like to keep his job and not want to go to jail).

same as the accident in the MRT some time ago, the thais make it happen even if idiot proof technology make it impossible.

this is why i do not use the Airport link. a 150km/h fast train on a bridge on overhead power support (first of its kind in thailand) ....

just too many things can be <deleted> up by thai engineers and a ccident on a bridge with that speed would be fatal.

actually its all german train technology !

its technically impossible to have any kind of accidents or things like doors open outside a station.

the conductor must force it to do so .. (in germany the driver need to have a written "order" to do things like this, have to press alot of buttons and stand the horrible alert buzzer anyway) if he like to keep his job and not want to go to jail).

same as the accident in the MRT some time ago, the thais make it happen even if idiot proof technology make it impossible.

this is why i do not use the Airport link. a 150km/h fast train on a bridge on overhead power support (first of its kind in thailand) ....

just too many things can be <deleted> up by thai engineers and a ccident on a bridge with that speed would be fatal.

From what I know of german technology, I can surmise the error was from the conductor.

But then, if you choose another alternative for transportation in Thailand, do you really think that you are safer?laugh.png

As they say in England " Excrement occurs"!

Probably the first time it has happened in 12 years or more of operation.

Like this guy said, it is no big deal in retrospect, it is an isolated incident and has happened once in the history of BTS. So many people on here quick tp jump and blame the hell out of Thai people and Thailand until they are blue in the face or bleeding at the fingertips from typing. And as somebody else mentioned, it says do not lean against the doors or something along those lines anyway. People who sit on the computers day in day out complaining about Thailand make me laugh, what the hell are you going to do about it? Vite, no, write a letter of complaint, highly doubtful, so just move... sheesh,

bts is one of the most efficient things in BKK

• Like 2