Anti-government Rally Thread 13-25 March

Jai Dee

PAD continues to put pressure on PM to call for his resignation.

The People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) still stay at the Government House to put pressure on Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to resign from premiership.

The PAD organized public speeches and entertainment for the demonstrators all night. At around 5.30 AM, PAD leader Chamlong Srimuang (จำลอง ศรีเมือง) gave a speech, insisting that the rally is legitimate. He asked the demonstrators to be patient and continue to put pressure on Prime Minister Thaksin to resign, adding that the premier is scheduled to attend a meeting at the Government House today. He insisted that the premier can continue working as normal, as protestors will continue their rally peacefully according to democratic system.

Meanwhile, police officers are continuing to keep tight security around the Government House, as the Prime Minister Thaksin is due to arrive in Bangkok today. The security officials fear that different groups of protestors may clash today, but more reinforcements have not been called to strengthen security around the areas.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 16 March 2006

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PM supporters will hold public speeches at Chatuchak every evening.

The Democracy Protection Alliances will give speeches in support of the Prime Minister at Chatuchak (จตุจักร) park everyday during 5PM to 9PM, while expecting that the caravan of northern and northeastern farmers will arrive in Bangkok tomorrow.

Supporters of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra are planning to organize a stage to give speeches supporting the premier and campaign for the people to cast their ballots on April the 2nd. The group said that the move is aimed at giving moral support to the embattled premier who is facing mounting pressure from the People’s Alliance for Democracy at Government House.

The demonstrations at Chatuchak park went on peacefully last night, as Bang Sue (บางซื่อ) police set up checkpoints at the venue while police volunteers and city officials were on duty to keep order. The protestors comprise of the Network of taxi and tricycle drivers and local residents who throw their support behind the prime Minister. The atmosphere was lively as Ekachai Srivijaya (เอกชัย ศรีวิชัย) came to perform to entertain the demonstrators. He said that his public support for the Prime Minister may cause some people to stop buying his products, but he does not care as he feels sorry for the Prime Minister. The Prime Minister’s sister, Yaowapa Wongsawasdi (เยาวภา วงศ์สวัสดิ์) and Permanent Secretary of the Labor Ministry, Somchai Wongsawasdi (สมชาย วงศ์สวัสดิ์) also came to observe the rally.

During the rally last night, demonstrators read a declaration by Thailand Securities Institute which expresses concerns about the current situation, although the economy is rebounding. The Council also asked related parties to follow the Constitution. Meanwhile, the caravan of northern and northeastern farmers are expected arrive in Bangkok and join the premier’s supporters tomorrow.

I hear that the King issued a written statement which was read on television early evening yesterday, before chairman Prem's speech. I have searched through a few news sources and the TV forum and not heard anything about it. Anyone else heard about this?

My wife told me that it was a little more pointed than Prem's speech. She translated Prem's speech as it was shown in television. To a foreigner like me, it seemed a bit ambiguous.

If the King issued a statement, I am surprised that it got almost no coverage or comment.

Bryan

One of the things that you cannot ever do is to underestimate your enemies strengths and weaknesses, the PDA have defiantly underestimated Thaksins strength, especially in the north.

after issuing such asinine remarks as "if you don't vote for TRT, your province won't get any government money," (or words to that effect), or any of the other hundreds of issues raised by people from ALL over Thailand that are seeking his ouster.

That's not asinine. It's the truth before the TRT the other parties treated the poor and the farmers poorly, especially in the north. If they were to get back in power they would probably not treat them any better than they had in the past.

Sun Tsu - An army may march great distances without distress, if it marches through country where the enemy is not.

By protesting in Bkk only, the PDA have basically given the rest of the country and the majority of the population to Thaksin unopposed.

If you read anything about the rallies, you'll have read that protesters in Bangkok have traveled there from ALL over Thailand.

I have read about the rallies and I know that protesters have traveled in to the city. The point I am making is the PDA has not bothered to travel into the country and as such has given the countryside over to TRT. It's the same way they campaign and one of the reasons they got trounced last election and why TRT has so much rural support.

Edited by lukamar

Group of doctors and nurses from Ramathibodhi hospital joined PAD in an effort to oust the PM.

A group of doctors and nurses from Ramathibodi (รามาธิบดี) hospital marched to Government House to call for the premier’s resignation, while insisting that they are joining the protests peacefully but will not cause problems for patients.

Dr. Yaowanuch Kongdan (เยาวนุช คงด่าน) from Ramathibodi hospital led a group of doctors and nurses working at the hospital in a march to Government House to join the rally by the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD), while submitting a letter calling for the Prime Minister’s resignation to PAD leaders last night.

Dr. Yaowanuch said that she invited those who share the same political viewpoints to sign the letter, adding that more than 300 workers at the hospital have signed the letter. Among the 300 signatories are 5 professors, 11 associate professors and 14 assistant professors. In addition, she said that those in the medical profession from Chulalongkorn hospital, Kon Kaen (ขอนแก่น) and Songkhla, have contacted the group to sign the letter as well. However, she insisted that the group’s participation in the rally will not cause trouble for patients as they take turn to attend the rally and backup medical staff has been prepared.

Dr. Yaowanuch added she is not afraid of disciplinary punishments, as she believes that the people do not have to share the same opinion although they work for the same organizations. She also urged everyone to respect differences in opinion, adding that the group’s action does not represent all workers of Ramathibodi hospital.

PAD doesn't have financial strength for countrywide campaigning, though they have raised the issue that they need to educate rural folk about their activities and protests.

Goverment controlled TV have started broadcasting news from PAD rallies but it's still a long way to really educating majority of population who have listened to Taksin's monologues for six years.

Boonmee, I tend to agree with you on many points, but some are off mark, IMO.

Mega-projects, for example. They certainly need to be reviewed because TRT made a huge mess out of it by putting politics ahead of economics, or even common sense. They are only at a concept stage at the moment and there no bids, or even terms of reference, so no one will really lose anything if Democrats come to power.

And I'd disagree on post 1997 recovery - when Taksin came to power, four years after the crash, all major work has been done already.

On political and corruption fronts - Taksin is a clear step back from Democrats. People have toppled dictatorial governments before but it's the first time that the major charge is widespread corruption. He is corrupt even by Thai standards, even by old timers ike Banharn and Snoh standards, and they've seen corruption in their long lives.

One of the things that you cannot ever do is to underestimate your enemies strengths and weaknesses, the PDA have defiantly underestimated Thaksins strength, especially in the north.

after issuing such asinine remarks as "if you don't vote for TRT, your province won't get any government money," (or words to that effect), or any of the other hundreds of issues raised by people from ALL over Thailand that are seeking his ouster.

That's not asinine. It's the truth before the TRT the other parties treated the poor and the farmers poorly, especially in the north. If they were to get back in power they would probably not treat them any better than they had in the past.

Sun Tsu - An army may march great distances without distress, if it marches through country where the enemy is not.

By protesting in Bkk only, the PDA have basically given the rest of the country and the majority of the population to Thaksin unopposed.

If you read anything about the rallies, you'll have read that protesters in Bangkok have traveled there from ALL over Thailand.

I have read about the rallies and I know that protesters have traveled in to the city. The point I am making is the PDA has not bothered to travel into the country and as such has given the countryside over to TRT. It's the same way they campaign and one of the reasons they got trounced last election and why TRT has so much rural support.

actually in the last election... the TRT Party was the one that got "trounced" :o

"Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra appears to have learnt little from Sunday's by-elections, in which his Thai Rak Thai party suffered humiliating defeat in three out of four constituencies."

==========

p.s. Aren't these multi-colored quote functions fun? :D

p.s.s. ahhhh ok.... nice editing.... :D

Edited by sriracha john

Leaders of PAD insists PM’s decision not to attend the meeting at Govt. house is unrelated to the protestors

Core leaders of the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) insisted that Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s decision not to attend the meeting at the Government House this morning is unrelated to the protestors.

Maj. Gen. Chamlong Srimuang (จำลอง ศรีเมือง), who is one of the PAD's leader, talked about the premier’s decision to change the meeting venue from the Government House to the Foreign Affairs Ministry. He said the decision is unrelated to the protestors since the demonstrators have not blocked the entrance of the Government House.

He reiterated that the demonstration will be continued until the premier resigns from his post.

As for the advice given by the Privy Council President and Statesman, Gen. Prem Tinsulanonda (เปรม ติณสูลานนท์), for every party to halt the ongoing situation and find solutions to the problems, Maj. Gen. Chamlong said the protestors have not caused the problems, but the problems are down to the resignation of Prime Minister Thaksin.

Concerning the traffic problems along Ratchadamnoen (ราชดำเนิน) Road, he added that there has been no coordination between his demonstrators and the Traffic Police. However, he claimed that it is normal for the traffic problems to occur due to the protest.

They are, until you have a 7 month old sitting on your lap hitting all the keys.. :D

ahh... count your blessings that he/she isn't hitting "something else" while lap-sitting. My first born did that so many times, I'm surprised I was even able to have a second born. :o

Concerning the traffic problems along Ratchadamnoen (ราชดำเนิน) Road, he added that there has been no coordination between his demonstrators and the Traffic Police. However, he claimed that it is normal for the traffic problems to occur due to with or without the protest.

*fixed*

PM said change of meeting is due to avoid confrontations with the opposition

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has indicated that his decision to change the venue of the meeting is to avoid confrontations with the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD). The PAD has been staging demonstrations in front of the Government Hose for weeks. The meeting was to be chaired by caretaker PM Thaksin to discuss plans to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of His Majesty the King’s Accession to the Throne.

Instead the meeting venue was changed to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, rather than the Government House. Dr Thaksin has been avoiding speaking to reporters recently.

A source from the meeting said Dr Thaksin has apologized regarding the change of the meeting venue.

Some photographs from The Nation:

5gi_copy1.jpg

Protesters march past Democracy Monument on Tuesday on their way to Government House, where they joined a rally demanding Premier Thaksin Shinawatra’s resignation.

7gi_copy.jpg

A few protesters take a nap during last night’s anti-Thaksin rally outside Government House, while others are still all ears as protest leaders give their speeches on stage.

6gi_copy1.jpg

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra looks at his palm while discussing his luck with respected monk Luang Phor Khoon in Nakhon Ratchasima yesterday. The monk blessed Thaksin and expressed his wish that he remain in office for three more years.

They are, until you have a 7 month old sitting on your lap hitting all the keys.. :D

ahh... count your blessings that he/she isn't hitting "something else" while lap-sitting. My first born did that so many times, I'm surprised I was even able to have a second born. :D

He - I know what you mean. :o

Khunying Sudarat took the party's Bangkok candidates to the headquarters of Bangkok Bank in Silom yesterday. With a megaphone on the crowded ground floor of the bank, she urged her audience to cast their votes on April 2.

They should vote for Thai Rak Thai if they wanted economic growth and electric railways. If they did not like Thai Rak Thai, they could tick the no-vote box, she said.

That's funny - vote Thai Rak Thai, vote for electric railways. What was the megaphone for? So that people in Tonburi could hear her promises?

hi'

seems that toxin is just a dirty little coward :o

avoid confrontation, probably when he's sure he will be on the edge of downfall,

typical attitude of an arrogant leader!

we may say what we like, there's a big turmoil in LOS these days :D

francois

PM supporters will hold public speeches at Chatuchak every evening.

The Democracy Protection Alliances will give speeches in support of the Prime Minister at Chatuchak (จตุจักร) park everyday during 5PM to 9PM, while expecting that the caravan of northern and northeastern farmers will arrive in Bangkok tomorrow.

So, we have the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) and now the Democracy Protection Alliances (DAP) who are supporting the PM, a misleading name if you ask me....

Maj. Gen Panu is negotiating with PAD key members to move their stage on Ratchadamneun Rd. to Pittsanulok Rd. instead

The Traffic Police Commander, Major General Panu Kerdlabpol (ภาณุ เกิดลาภผล), is negotiating with the key members of People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD), in an attempt to move their stage on Ratchadamneun (ราชดำเนิน) Road to Phitsanulok (พิษณุโลก) Road instead. He said that the stage has caused traffic congestion around the area.

He has informed that the commuters and motorists, who traveled around the Government House, have faced with severe traffic condition since the demonstration has taken place in front of the Government House.

At 14:00 hours today, Metropolitan Police Bureau Commissioner Viroj Chantharangsee (วิโรจน์ จันทรังษี) has called for a meeting with top-officials to assess the daily situation.

hi'

seems that toxin is just a dirty little coward :o

avoid confrontation, probably when he's sure he will be on the edge of downfall,

typical attitude of an arrogant leader!

we may say what we like, there's a big turmoil in LOS these days :D

francois

I think he is very wise and should be commended not to provoke easy confrontation that would only make matters worse.

He is an elected leader, the protesters are a few unhappy voters not representing the majority of the Thai electorate.

Edited by Krub

Guest endure

Was talking to a Thai friend of mine here in the UK last night. He's from Bangkok and he says that Taksin is sending 5-6 buses into the part of Bangkok where he lives every day. Anyone who climbs on the bus to join the 'Taksin Supporters Club' gets 300bt a day.

Was talking to a Thai friend of mine here in the UK last night. He's from Bangkok and he says that Taksin is sending 5-6 buses into the part of Bangkok where he lives every day. Anyone who climbs on the bus to join the 'Taksin Supporters Club' gets 300bt a day.

I've heard similar claims. Anybody going to support him will have to be "compensated" for the daily work they're missing back in their home towns.

Unlike the people in Sanam Luang who just want him out.

Guest endure
Was talking to a Thai friend of mine here in the UK last night. He's from Bangkok and he says...

Now how does he know all that if he is in the UK?

He has a gadget called a TELEPHONE. His sister, who lives in his house in Bangkok, has a TELEPHONE too. They use their TELEPHONES to talk to each other every week. Jeez...

always these high-tech gadget....

phones :o

Was talking to a Thai friend of mine here in the UK last night. He's from Bangkok and he says...

Now how does he know all that if he is in the UK?

He has a gadget called a TELEPHONE. His sister, who lives in his house in Bangkok, has a TELEPHONE too. They use their TELEPHONES to talk to each other every week. Jeez...

Hi all,

Talked with some of the people in my company and they told it is best to find a way to solve the issue by looking for a way that Thaksin not loose too much face and keep his assets.

Another thing they told me is that now they not talk about corruption but more about ethics.

Yes they all agreed Thaksin was not so good and he will be punished in his life for doing bad to Thailand.

Have people here from all over Thailand.

Kind regards

Aex

I've heard similar claims. Anybody going to support him will have to be "compensated" for the daily work they're missing back in their home towns.

Unlike the people in Sanam Luang who just want him out.

I stood on the jetty at Pin Klao crossing over to Sanam Luang late afternoon on March 3 when Taksin had his rally. People from buses from Ang Thong, Ayuttaya were crowding on the pier to go to the rally. One or two got on to the ferry when their leader shouted out,' wait, not everyone's here yet', they got off immediately. Every bus was plainly controlled by a kamnan or local councillor.

And once Thaksin finished his speech it was straight home on the bus, no need to listen to other speeches, they weren't paid for that.

Thaksin supporters arrive

(TNA) - Thousands of rural farmers from the North and the Northeast will attempt to move their farm-truck "Caravan of the Poor" into Bangkok on Friday morning to show support to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The anti-Thaksin People's Alliance for Democracy also expects to be on the move. PAD will move many of its demonstrators from Government House to protest at the Singapore Embassy and at several military bases outside the capital. PAD will maintain a core protest and sleep-in at Government House.

Attharit Singlor, vice chairman of the Caravan of the Poor, a coalition of small-farm groups from 19 northeastern provinces, said his group and grass-roots people in more than 400 farm and pickup trucks, were at Pathum Thani lst night, and expect to move to the Mor Chit bus terminal or Chatuchak area of Bangkok at 9am on Friday.

The rally leaders will hold a meeting and announce their support for the embattled prime minister to fight on, said Atthasit.

Meanwhile, the core leaders of anti-Thaksin groups have agreed to switch their tactics from a mass rally at the official seat of Government to diversify their targets in the capital and other provinces.

Suriyasai Katasila, PAD spokesman, said five core leaders will lead some demonstrators to protest outside the Singapore Embassy at noon on Friday.

The move, he said, is aimed at pressuring Singapore to reconsider the recent Shin Corp takeover deal by Singapore's investment company Temasek Holdings which has allegely caused major rift in Thai society.

The Singapore government has said it has no control over Temasek's actions, and Temasek completed its purchase of more than 96% of Shin Corp stock earlier this week.

Another group of demonstators will converge at military facilities in Kanchanaburi in the west and at northeastern Udon Thani airport, which is also an air force base, to demand that Singapore interests be moved out of the country.

Singapore troops train at the two bases - Army forces in Kanchanaburi and Singapore Air Force at Udon Thani..

The PAD core leader also said a group of businesspersons will rally from Lumpini Park to Government House to join activists, members of Santi Asoke's "Dharma Army" and other demonstrators to continue their vigil there for the fourth consecutive night to demand the premier step down.

The only problem I have with these rallies are... the badly tuned guitars, man!

Best Thai musicianship I've ever seen so far in Thailand was a band called Diamond,tonight at the rally.

All members are blind but can they ever play...

Protests spreading to other areas of Bangkok.. :o

Silom crowds call for PM's resignation

Silom Road saw the largest crowds in recent memory yesterday as office workers in Bangkok's financial district turned out in droves to join the call for caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's resignation.

The majority of the protestors came out during their lunch break to listen to Business Democracy Club members speak about how Thaksin was unfit to continue as prime minister.

Senator Chirmsak Pinthong, Prasarn Maruekapitak, head of the club, and Preeda Tiasuwan, a jewellery trader, led the gathering, which began at about 11am near Sala Daeng Skytrain station and finished at about 2pm.

The scene was reminiscent of a gathering during the 1997 financial crisis when hundreds of businesspeople gathered on the road to call for then-Prime Minister General Chavalit Yongchaiyudh to resign over his failure to solve the crisis.

Although smaller, yesterday's gathering was a portent of things to come after Prasarn told the crowd to rally at Lumpini Park at 5pm today to participate in the "Silom Black Rally", which will go on to join the People's Alliance for Democracy at the Royal Plaza.

Chirmsak told the crowd to vote for no one in the April 2 election in order to show their disapproval.

There was some tension in the air yesterday as a number of passing pro-Thaksin taxi drivers honked their horns in an attempt to interrupt the speakers.

The event was also spiced up with a short performance by a protester clad in a Chinese opera costume and holding a box to collect funds for the anti-Thaksin campaign.

One office worker in his late 30s said he would join the protest again tomorrow.

"I want to press Thaksin to resign," he said, adding that he had participated in several anti-Thaksin rallies at Sanam Luang.

Asked if there was a consensus on whether Thaksin should step down, he said: "At my office there are pro and anti-Thaksin groups. But I have been following the political situation for a long time. So, I know Thaksin's behaviour well."

One 30-year-old female office worker said it was the first time she had joined an anti-Thaksin rally. "I have been interested in joining a rally for some time but never made it. When the [business Democracy] club said they would come here, I didn't think twice to join them," she said.

She said that although she liked many of Thaksin's populist policies, she questioned his ethical behaviour. "I want Thaksin to resign to prove himself. And then he can come back. I think when he resigns the problem will end. So, he should do that for the country," she said.

Korn Chatikavanich, a former Democrat Party MP for Bangkok, who was among the observers yesterday, said: "I came here as an observer. This event reminds me of the rally several years ago, when I was working at an office in the Silom Complex Building. "

Prasarn said people who wanted to join the rally today should consider wearing black to show unity in pressing Thaksin to resign.

The Nation