Whats The Chance Of Grandmother Getting Visit Visa For Uk.

A grandmother stands as much chance of getting a visit visa as anybody else, I'm sure grans do it all the time.

Like anybody else, gran needs to convince the ECO that the visit is genuine, affordable and that she is likely to return home at the conclusion of her visit.

It's not unreasonable for a grandmother to want to visit her grand-kids, it you are paying for the trip then supply the normal proof and proof that, I assume she will be staying with you.

Probably the most important part will be the reason to return, make sure that the ECO is satisfied that she is not being brought over as a live in baby sitter, and make she provides details of her ties to Thailand.

I'd say the barrier is that she is just going to stay on. But she could just as much go home so I think it could go either way.

Having property and vehicles in her name would help imo. A return ticket w/scheduled date out I think is a must. Former take to interview, latter upon landing.

Married and Pops staying behind Id think a huge plus.

I guess a nice bank book would help rather hurt, but of course everyone pays for their mothers visits.

Seems to me as worthwhile, as good a chance as any.

Yeah, she has a good chance as others say she needs to show she will return so if not in employment land/house ownership etc. My wife's best friend came over and she took a letter from the employers and we sent bank statements and a letter to say we will provide accommodation and cover all costs.

If you were to buy a return ticket as suggested make sure its a fully refundable fare as the UKBA advice is not to purchase any travel until you have been granted the visa. My wife's mate didn't buy her ticket until she got the visa and this was ok.

Good luck

Andy

Hi

My Mother in Law visited us last year for a period of 3 ½ months to help out, after the birth of our little girl.

She is in her mid fifties, owns her own house, a small farm (under 30acres) and has a partner but is not married.

Both her daughters live here in the UK.

If my memory serves me right the supporting documentation supplied to support her application was.

• Proof of ownership of her house & land

• Sponsorship letters from both us & her other daughter & partner

• Bank statements to support sponsorship letters

• Copies of her passport proving she had not overstayed on any previous visit

2 things we learnt the hard way if she has any obligations that could suffer in her absence, explain what arrangements have been made to cover these in her absence.

We initially had a visa for an uncle turned down because we had not explained how his farm would be maintained in his absence when he came to give my wife away at our wedding.

And 2 if your application is successful & your mother in law does not speak English an explanatory letter from you explaining the reason for the visit with your mobile phone number is a good idea, she can then hand it to immigration on arrival.

Last visit my mother in law was held in a side office for 45mins due a misunderstanding, the immigration officers can refuse entry if they believe there are any discrepancies from the application & the actual visit

Also as stated previuosly by others do not buy a ticket, it seems like a good idea but UKBA advise against it on there own web site

Edited by Waterloo