Mae Sai Border Run...help!

Jonrek2012

Wew ! That was an Adventure.... We just Finish our Border Run.

A lil Bit chaotic there but cool area. smile.png

Thank you Guys!

Thanks for getting back to us. It's always nice to hear a response when you've tried to help. The trips get easier every time you make them and know what to expect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks,

Can anyone confirm that this border IS open on holidays (I think it is). I'm planning on going up May 5/6th, which is Thai public holiday.

BTW, my crisp new $10 US bill was refused in February. First time they ever did that.

Only immigration offices observe holidays - borders don't.

Don't know about Filipino's but I do know that if two of you are going you must not present Burmese Immigration with a 1,000 Baht note for two people as they do not give change. You must put separate 500 Baht note in each passport.

I often hand over a 1000 baht note and always have been given change.

Best way to go is by 'Green Bus' from Arcade Bus Station, book some days before you travel if you want VIP seats which are the best. It's about 650 Baht return. When you get to Mae Sai you will get off the big bus and get on to a Red Songthaew which will take you up to the border for 15 Baht.

Once at the border you go into Thai Immigration and present your passport and white card and they will stamp you out of Thailand. Then cross over the bridge to Burma changing from left to right hand side of the road as you go and enter Burmese Immigration. Present your passport with 500 Baht note and they will take your photo' etc and keep your passport and hand you a temporary visa/passport until you return to Thailand the same day. Proceed to the town of Techilek and enjoy some shopping and collect your duty free and watch out for the many scammers and tuk tuk drivers offering 'bang bang'. You only need to be in Burma for 30 minutes before returning back onto the bridge and collect your own passport on your right hand side (the opposite to where you reported when you came in ). Walk back over the bridge changing sides again and report to Thai Immigration after filling in a new white card.

Hope this helps.

Green Bus online booking works these days (at last!) - if you are going to be doing it regularly, then sign up (free) and book online - it can be paid for when you pick up the tickets or paid via debit card (I do the latter) and seat can be chosen online (even shows the gender of the other passengers).

On the way back from the Burmese Immigration, and before you enter Thai immigration, there is a duty free shop (maybe more) on the right.

I was told I could take 3 x 1 litre bottles of drink back into Thailand, which was correct, and they have a good range of the better known European tipples, such as BOLS, etc. w00t.gif

I thought it was only 1ltre - though they rarely check farang's bags (they scan all Asian's bags I notice). Good place to get Grand Royal Special Reserve Whisky (Burmese/Scotch grain) for 199b / 700cl (43%) :)

What time does the bus leave Mai Sai for CMai? Best not to miss the return trip.

Green Bus. For a single day trip, there are 3 VIP buses usually (depends on day) all leave early morning and the same bus returns early afternoon (8am to 3:30 pm seems most popular).

Another way to do it - less crowded, it to go on the afternoon bus, stay the night in a cheap hotel there (Chinese hotel is only 500 baht a night with double bed/bath and shower/sat TV) - the new shopping mall hidden around the back of the Chinese temple (walking distance from the border) is nice too - though pretty empty last time I went. Then do the border run first thing in the morning (it opens a 6am I think) and get the morning bus home. Not many people do this, mostly Thais, so seats are easier to come by - remember its almost Song Kran, buses will be busy in both directions for a couple of weeks!

I have a double entry visa and I already make an extension for it.

Just $10 or 500bhat,Is this all you need to bring there in Maesi/Burma border?

They might ask you to show 10 or 20K (depends on your visa) when you return to Thailand. This is not very likely, but sometimes it happens.

I would say HIGHLY unlikely....in 5 years and loads of times crossing in and out there, I have never been asked for proof of that. I know it is officially a rule but very unlikely!

When I used to do regular monthly border runs about 5 years ago, I was asked only once. And fortunately I had it!

• 2 weeks later...

Green Bus online booking works these days (at last!) - if you are going to be doing it regularly, then sign up (free) and book online - it can be paid for when you pick up the tickets or paid via debit card (I do the latter) and seat can be chosen online (even shows the gender of the other passengers).

Has anybody had any recent experience with Green Bus online booking? Is it normally Thai only or is there an English language signup also? No biggie if I have to head over to the Bus Terminal to book a ticket but I'm a fan off the online experience. :)

I've got my first Mae Sai border run coming up next weekend.. Only thing a little concerning to me is 10K proof of funds. Not a massive problem I guess but I'd prefer not to be carrying that amount of money on me. Is having the cash in your hand the only form of 'proof'?

Has anybody had any recent experience with Green Bus online booking? Is it normally Thai only or is there an English language signup also? No biggie if I have to head over to the Bus Terminal to book a ticket but I'm a fan off the online experience. :)

I've got my first Mae Sai border run coming up next weekend.. Only thing a little concerning to me is 10K proof of funds. Not a massive problem I guess but I'd prefer not to be carrying that amount of money on me. Is having the cash in your hand the only form of 'proof'?

You have a bank book?

I am in Mae sai now for Visa Run toorrow. Last tie I was here about a year ago, 10USD was not accepted, only 500Bt. When i questioned it, he said its the weekend....not sure why thats relevant.

Has anybody had any recent experience with Green Bus online booking? Is it normally Thai only or is there an English language signup also? No biggie if I have to head over to the Bus Terminal to book a ticket but I'm a fan off the online experience. smile.png

I use the online service all the time - It is Thai only (has English pages, but they still show Thai). One way to help is to open it twice in a browser and set one to translate (Google/Bing/etc) then you can fill the Thai in using the position in the translated one.

Rarely are people asked to show cash any way. Just carry a debit/ATM card, there are ATMs by the kiosk and they will send you to them for a statement if necessary - or take a Thai bank book, but must be updated that day I believe. However, if you don't look like a dosser, then you'll be fine - I always wear a shirt or polo neck, something casual smart - and always smile and look at ease.

May as well put this quick report in here:

I did the Mae Sai run today (techinically yesterday) from Chiang Mai. Was on my Yamaha 115cc. Left CM at 10am on the dot and arrived at the bridge just after 2pm. Parked the scooter, and went through immigration, very simple. Also very true what everyone says about the touts. I gave them 500baht, didnt try USD.

Mucked around market for too long, left about 3.30pm, got stuck in a thunder storm about 160km out from CM, waited that out with a couple other farangs over some food and banter.

Eventually made it home right on midnight, we took it really easy coming home as it did rain a lot so was pretty slippery.

If you were to leave at 7am, you could be home by 4pm comfortably on the regular scooters for hire. Not sure how much gas I used, but put no more than 500b in at all places total

I did the Mae Sai run today (techinically yesterday) from Chiang Mai. Was on my Yamaha 115cc. Left CM at 10am on the dot and arrived at the bridge just after 2pm. Parked the scooter, and went through immigration, very simple. Also very true what everyone says about the touts. I gave them 500baht, didnt try USD.

Mucked around market for too long, left about 3.30pm, got stuck in a thunder storm about 160km out from CM, waited that out with a couple other farangs over some food and banter.

Eventually made it home right on midnight, we took it really easy coming home as it did rain a lot so was pretty slippery.

If you were to leave at 7am, you could be home by 4pm comfortably on the regular scooters for hire. Not sure how much gas I used, but put no more than 500b in at all places total

Sounds like it was a bit of an adventure, Dogs. Thanks for the report. Sometimes the strangest things happen on a simple road trip. It all makes for a good life if you survive. Great memories are what life is all about. A normal return bus trip takes about 12 hours. After about a 4 hour bike ride I usually like to sleep over. There are rooms in Mae Sai for about 400 baht a night.

Green bus to Chiang Rai, then there are vans leaving every 15 minutes to the border for 40 THB or so. That was something new I saw last year. I like to spend a night in Chiangrai, coming back, ao I will take VIP to Chiangrai, get a room for 300ish (B2 Night Bazaar) drop my bags off in my room, do the van to the border, then take the van back to Chiangrai, then it is a good time to buy your VIP for the next day, like a 12:30ish...then you're ready to party in Chiangrai, which is a lot more fun than MaeSai (but Maesai can be fun, too).

Good idea, Thighlander. I think you are correct that there is more to do in Chiang Rai than in Mae Sai. Once the border closes around 5:30 the whole town shuts down. It can be rather boring unless you are with company. Chiang Rai night life leaves a lot to be desired, but in Mae Sai it is non-existent unless somebody knows something that I don't.

Wow. I'm impressed! I bet you were exhausted. I've considered doing it on a bigger bike but it's been a while since I've ridden one so figure I'll get to grips with that first before I attempt a massive round trip.

Wow. I'm impressed! I bet you were exhausted. I've considered doing it on a bigger bike but it's been a while since I've ridden one so figure I'll get to grips with that first before I attempt a massive round trip.

The problem with the highway 118 from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai is it is mostly just 2 lanes with nowhere to pass slow moving vehicles. The few villages you pass through constrict the traffic even more. On a small motorbike you can just barely keep up with traffic and even a bigger bike has limited places to pass... unless you are Thai... which in that case Buddha will look after you while going around blind corners in the wrong lane. You just have to accept it and put aside the time for an all day bus trip.

The problem could be easily solved by just paying Thai customs to upgrade your visa with the money going to Thailand instead of Myanmar. But that would be too simple and cut out all the middle men who have their hands out.

I got back from Mae Sai yesterday having took The Green Bus. All went to plan. Didn't try $10 - just gave them 500THB. I wasn't asked to show any proof of funds although they did want my phone number and more address details on my arrival card because I've got a Non-Imm B. Not sure what that was about.

Edited by onthedarkside
blog link removed

Update on beers available at the duty free on the bridge.

The Bulgarian stout @50bt 500ml cans has finished sad.png

Guinness Export is back, @60bt per can smile.png Also have Burmese ABC stout at the same price.

Paulaner 500ml bottles @75bt

Duty free is officially only 1 liter of alcohol.

Really, wow I'm a law breaker, I've always brought 2....

At the risk of repeating myself, the shop staff assured me I could take 3x 1 litre bottles, plus 2 cans of Bulgarian beer.

Customs didn't even ask me what was in the plastic bag, and I walked through.

The beer was awful! sick.gif

• 7 months later...

I am going soon on the Mae Sai border run to renew my visa. I have a one year non-immigrant O visa that I bought in Australia. They told me it has to be renewed every three months which is a bit inconvenient. Anyway, someone on this forum said that if you dont have a multiple entry stamp on your visa, it can cause problems with only being allocated 30 days on return. Or is that just for shorter visas? And I was wondering what a multiple entry stamp looks like? My passport has 'Non O' entered in where customs stamped it, and my visa was stamped by the Thai consulate in Australia. So am I going to get any hassle at the border, it should be fairly straight forward?

On another note, if anyone can recommend in Chiang Mai (Old City or around the university), a good bus service that doesn't deafen you with videos and music, or have crazy drivers?

thanks!

Personally I dont trust any of these VIP shuttle type buses. Whenever I go to Mae Sai I either drive up there with the missus or take the Green Bus from Terminal 2. I watched lots of these VIP mini coaches on the way up and dang.... your life is in their hands literally. Dangerous to the max, have seen the results of their driving too. Just too risky for my liking.

Have ridden a CRF250 up there...nice trip but arse went to sleep due to damn hard seat. Not sure if Id take a scooter up there but as mention in this post, people do.

Im not sure about the O Visa and multiple entries. When I got a multiple entry visa from Vientainne it simply stated at the area marked "No. of entry" : '2'

Hopefully someone can answer this for you, I do know that when you fill in the white slip when coming back into Thailand, that you must quote your visa number. Failure to do so will give you just the normal exempt visa allowance (Which is only 14 days when walking across to Myanmar for visa run).

Good luck

Personally I dont trust any of these VIP shuttle type buses. Whenever I go to Mae Sai I either drive up there with the missus or take the Green Bus from Terminal 2. I watched lots of these VIP mini coaches on the way up and dang.... your life is in their hands literally. Dangerous to the max, have seen the results of their driving too. Just too risky for my liking.

Have ridden a CRF250 up there...nice trip but arse went to sleep due to dam_n hard seat. Not sure if Id take a scooter up there but as mention in this post, people do.

Im not sure about the O Visa and multiple entries. When I got a multiple entry visa from Vientainne it simply stated at the area marked "No. of entry" : '2'

Hopefully someone can answer this for you, I do know that when you fill in the white slip when coming back into Thailand, that you must quote your visa number. Failure to do so will give you just the normal exempt visa allowance (Which is only 14 days when walking across to Myanmar for visa run).

Good luck

CMKiwi

Agree with your advice as far as the Green Bus but you are a little out of date re visa exempt crossings at Mae Sai.

Since 1st November members of the G7 Countries get 30 days.

Not trying to be picky but might as well get the correct info out there.

Bugger, I miss out.... my last visa run to Mae Sai was qiite some time ago...how things change huh? I expect to be long dead by the time this country gets its visa saga sorted out. Its a bit of a mess at the moment but I think we've had enough blogs about not wanting us...just our money! I still like this place.

Oh and regarding the booze up there, I agree with all those that said that the majority if not all the stuff in the market area is fake/copy/bootleg. Sure its cheaper than the outlet directly opposite the Myanmar Immigration.... and if you compare the taste from those two areas you will see/taste why. Plus the copy booze will more than often give you one heck of a hangover.

Ive tried various types and brands of grog, I now always buy my duty free from that outlet opposite Myanmar Immigration, my stomach and head are very grateful as a result!

But.... each to their own

• 11 months later...

Hallo!

Can somebody please give me an advice about the current visa situation in Thailand?

1.) I got the regular tourist visa (30 days on arrival).

I^m a German citizen and now I would like to prelong my stay for 1 or 2 more month.

Can I just go to Mae Sai and cross the border and I will get 30 more days? Or should I go to immigration and prelong there? (my visa runs out 9th of December).

2.) somebody knows what the best way is to change a the date of a flight ticket with Emirates airline? (office in Thailand or travel agency or online)?

Khopkhunkhrap for your help! wai2.gif

Hallo!

Can somebody please give me an advice about the current visa situation in Thailand?

1.) I got the regular tourist visa (30 days on arrival).

I^m a German citizen and now I would like to prelong my stay for 1 or 2 more month.

You apparently can get another 30 days here at Immigration upon payment of 1900 baht; or, yes, you could jump over the border at Mae Sai and they'll give you another 30 day entry. [This partially is dependent on how many visa-exempt entries you've made in the last year or so. If you just have your current one, no problem; however, if you've had multiple visa-exempt entries, then it's possible based on many reports that they could refuse you another one.

If you want more than 30 days, I don't think you can do that in Thailand. I think have to go to another country and apply for a tourist visa (60 days, I believe) or a Non-Immigrant O visa at the Thai embassy/consulate there.

Edited by CMBob