Cheapest (Or Best Value) Small 4 Door In Thailand?

It might be time to get a car but which is the cheapest, or best value, small 4 or 5 door car on offer in Thailand?

I can't find a list of hatchbacks or micro saloons available in Thailand with their prices anywhere.

Anyone got any experience of the:

• Toyota Yaris
  • Suzuki Swift
  • Mazda 2 (is there a 1?)
  • Honda Jazz
  • That small Mitsusishi
  • The small Nissan (March?)

Also, what sort of finance would be available to a working farang on a new car? Deposit of what % then monthly payments for how long?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

You can visit the respective websites of the manufacturers to get the prices.

As to finance, a minimum deposit is generally of 25 %, then, your monthly payments can extend up to five years (the longer the better for the dealer, obviously).

• Toyota Yaris........... Expensive 600 - 740,000 baht [Auto's]

Suzuki Swift............ would be my choice, but long waiting list...... 470 - 650,000 baht [Auto's]

Mazda 2 (is there a 1?) ........... 585 - 646,000 baht [Auto's] NO Mazda 1 here yet.

Honda Jazz...........Expensive 630 - 768,000 baht [Auto's].......... smaller and cheaper Brio 5 dr or 4 dr Amaze 470 - 530,00 baht

That small Mitsusishi......... called the Mirage 460 - 546,000 baht [Auto's]

The small Nissan (March?)........... March = 5 door.. Almeara = longer 4 door both about same price 470 - 560,000 baht..[Auto's]

There are other NON Thai models around the same price PROTON about 3 different models starting @ 450,000 baht, Chery 2 different models same price.... start about 430,000 baht.

Base model Thai built cars often have NO ABS and NO Airbag........... if make is not important and your going to keep the car, something like a Proton Neo, [3 dr or 5 dr] next size up and full of options cost the same.. Saga = 4 dr saloon, same applies, Preve = 4 door ... the small one = Savvy = 5 dr 420,000 baht [Auto]

Edited by ignis

I just got a top model swift, 559K, but have to add on insurance to tat. Not free. Waiting list is quite long, but I was surprised to get mine (my wife's actually) 4 months earlier than expected. It goes fine around town and on the highway; about 15-16km/l around Nonthaburi so far on E20. Only complaint might be that there seems to be less insulation in it than on more expensive cars (can hear the car stereo from outside), but on my civic you cannot. I'll take care of that later. If you need a car fast though, you need to consider something else.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. What sort of wait times are there on the Swift?

I'm not sure at this time, probably delivery times will get better over the next few months once Suzuki clear their backlog from the excise rebate program. You could call them or ask them at the Motor Show coming up on the 27th at Impact Centre.

I'm pretty happy with the performance of the car, given it's a cvt. It operates very smoothly and takes hairpins pretty well on the stock tyres. You could save some money (about 100K) and get the manual version. That would be a lot of fun I think, if you don't mind driving in town with a manual. Not sure you can order a manual at the moment though; they were putting it on hold to increase production of the auto. Even at 120-140 km/h it's rock solid on the road. Cruising at 80-100 km/h and the fuel economy is well over 20 km/l. Acceleration is quite good but you need to punch it a bit to get it moving.

As of last month, the backlog was 23,000 units with a production capacity of 50,000 units/year - so logically around 6 months, *if* you get your booking in before the motor show that starts on the 27th....

Production capacity is being expanded to 100,000 units/year, but that won't be online until Q4 this year.

Edited by IMHO

As of last month, the backlog was 23,000 units with a production capacity of 50,000 units/year - so logically around 6 months, *if* you get your booking in before the motor show that starts on the 27th....

Production capacity is being expanded to 100,000 units/year, but that won't be online until Q4 this year.

Perhaps then pop down to the local suzuki branch and make a booking before the show. I wonder what demand will be like now the excise rebate scheme is finished? Not just suzuki but all cars covered by the scheme.

Plenty of second hand options around - I was recently offered a 40,000 km Nissan Cube in very good condition for 480,000 baht. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I'd prefer it to anything else here if I was in the market for a 4 door city car.

Problem with this car and the Toyota Bb, is what year is it ? when was it built, when it was refurbished and imported to Thailand was the km put at '0' ?

You can buy a 2003 Cube here for 700,000 baht, there again many 2010 or 2011, so say for 500,000 or less... ........ Google pictures of the Cube Japan these 2011 Cube's sold in Thailand are from the early 2000 is would appear..

What is the better buy ? at new built Swift or a 12 - 15 year old about the same size and price ?

Same with the Mitz Pajero, I like the 1.8, most or many here for sale say 2010.......... true year about 1998..

Plenty of second hand options around - I was recently offered a 40,000 km Nissan Cube in very good condition for 480,000 baht. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I'd prefer it to anything else here if I was in the market for a 4 door city car.

Problem with this car and the Toyota Bb, is what year is it ? when was it built, when it was refurbished and imported to Thailand was the km put at '0' ?

You can buy a 2003 Cube here for 700,000 baht, there again many 2010 or 2011, so say for 500,000 or less... ........ Google pictures of the Cube Japan these 2011 Cube's sold in Thailand are from the early 2000 is would appear..

What is the better buy ? at new built Swift or a 12 - 15 year old about the same size and price ?

Same with the Mitz Pajero, I like the 1.8, most or many here for sale say 2010.......... true year about 1998..

First generation Cubes (1998 - 2002) were based on a Micra and look like a 4 door Mira. Cubes here are mainly second generation (Z11, 2002 - 2008) as this one is; third generation (2008+) are differently styled and not so popular. The engine's a 1.5 L HR Series, which makes it post mid-2005.

I wonder which will be worth more in a year or two ....

Guess cheap 2 nd hand + with ABS and Air-bags is the Malaysian Group 'Naza' the 2011 Forza GSi is 200 - 250,000 baht... [last model early 2011]

The Chinese built Chery A113 with ABS and Air-bags is 250 - 300,000 baht for a 2011 model.. [2013 model cost 429.000 baht]

Maybe next cheapest 2011 car would be the Nissan March with ABS and Air-bags is 4 - 500,000 baht [ cost very little more to buy a new 2013 model minor updates ]