Renewing Thai Driver's Licence Early

Guest siamjourney

Guest siamjourney

Does anyone know if you can go a few weeks earlier than the actual expiration date and renew a Thai drivers license?

Also, is the office near the airport open on Saturdays?

Thanks.

In general, if you have a 1 year licence and renew early you will get another 1 year since 5 years licences are given when you have held your first licence for at least a year.

Renewal date for a 5 year is your birthday ( well mine is) and a renewal is valid 5 years from your next birthday, so if you go the day after your birthday you get 6 years out of it (less a day). If you go before you only get 5 years.

The department told me last year when I received my lic. for the first time that I could go up to 30 days before expiration to renew it. Don't forget you still need to bring health certificate and yellow book or certificate of residence from immigration.

As usual I am now confused by the rules and regulations in this country.. Just to confirm when my one license expires on the 15th of June I cannot get a 5 year license until after the expiration date of current license. I have noted above that 5 year licenses are tied to your birthday.Does that mean I have to wait until my birthday which is 60 days after current expiration before applying for the 5 year or can it be done the day after current expiration?

when i got my five year license in chiang mai i went about 30 days before it expired...

i had gone to the office earlier and the lady upstairs gave me a form showing what i needed to bring with me and on the form it said i needed to renew up to 60 days before my one year license expired..

Went to renew mine last year due to change of address and passport and was told to come back within 90 days of the expiry date. Here are the instructions she gave me. As far as the wrong info on the license goes, she told me to carry a copy of the old passport!

post-40471-0-90590600-1363517986_thumb.j