Thailand Uses Long Legs To Look Hip

george

Thailand uses long legs to look hip :o:D

Picture of the worlds longest super model legs

BANGKOK: - Thailand's prime minister has brought out the fashion world's longest pair of legs to kick off a campaign to make Bangkok one of the world's trend capitals, but designers say the city is no Paris of the East.

In his latest attempt to put Thailand on the world map, blue-suited Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra opened the city's biggest fashion night of the year on Thursday against a backdrop of glittering temples in Bangkok's Royal Palace.

He also wants Thailand to become Asia's premier aviation hub, oil trading centre, tourism and shopping mecca and conference destination to elevate the economy to first-world status.

But on a balmy night, the eyes of government officials were fixed soley on models from across Asia parading in sequined and chiffon gowns on a stilted catwalk over the Chao Phraya river.

German model Nadja Auermann emerged from her own private dressing room in a red dress, slit to the hip to reveal 44 inch (111.8 cm) legs which the Guinness Book of World Records touted in 1999 as the longest of any "supermodel" in the world.

"This is just the start of a showcase of our good products," Thaksin told Reuters. "Good products, reasonable prices," he said of how he wants Thailand to be known. The "Bangkok Fashion City" initiative, Thailand's push to catch up and overtake Tokyo in the trend stakes, will involve high-profile shows and tax breaks for approved fashion projects.

But designers involved in the show doubted Thailand would get very far because of the small public interest in fashion in a country where spending power lags far behind the likes of Singapore, Japan and Hong Kong.

Some were also critical of Thursday's show.

"It's going to be difficult," said a U.S.-based Thai designer who has dressed Sarah Jessica Parker, star of television's "Sex and the City".

"After this, I don't want to launch my brand here," he said, complaining that the show was poorly organised.

"SO OUT"

Another designer said the beautiful river scene was wasted on "clothes that were so out".

"It was just a competition of extravagance. It was like a drag queen show," said one designer. "I was so embarrassed, I wanted to run. The international press probably thought Thailand doesn't get what fashion is."

The line-up was noticeably dominated by Western or half-Thai models -- the preferred look on Thai catwalks at the moment.

"The Brazilian look is in," said Thai-American model Amy Stames, adding that the average Thai girl often does not have "the right body type" designers are looking for.

Some designers are also worried by what they say is the government's prudish attitude towards the industry.

Organisers of another recent fashion event were fined by the Culture Ministry because models wore designs that exposed their breasts.

--Reuters 2004-02-13

Seems, a few things are missing. Anyway, they will be walking on this Sunday

from 3-6:00 pm on Bangkok's Sukhumvit Road up to Emporium.

Perhaps, the PM had a mistake:

legs which the Guinness Book of World Records touted in 1999 as the longest of any "supermodel" in the world.

"This is just the start of a showcase of our good products," Thaksin told Reuters. "Good products, reasonable prices," he said of how he wants Thailand to be known.

May be it would have been better, if he himself walked the catwalk, locally made, not expensive :o and no problem with the Culture Ministry :D

:o As a model myself, and having worked quite a bit in BKK, I will say that society seeing Western or Brasilian girls strutting down the runway doesn't really send a sense of what beauty there is in Thai. I f they really wanted to "Up the Industry" they should at least use their own girls and their own culture.

Yes I agree with bella54330 that the Thais should use their ownThai girls if they wanted to promote their own fashion industry.

I hope that they are not thinking that the dresses on parade were to be sold to the Farangs hence use foreign models.

what's the fuss? my girlfriend (6'1") 20 years ago had longer legs and was nothing to scream about. Plus we have to admit that in intimate conditions all the extra flesh is obstructive...what to do with the large feet that are associated with long legs; the limitations on sexual positions resulting from inordinately long femurs and etc. and they always have such white skin.

This display should be viewed as an advertisement for the assets of local Asian women, lovely hairless brown bodies in a compact package such that a consumption of 2-3 per night is not a remote possibility.

pass the popcorn

Being chic on Bangkok's fashionable streets

BANGKOK: This afternoon's fashion extravaganza will transform Bangkok's "Shopping Street", Rajprasong Road, along with Sukhumvit Road to the Emporium shopping centre - into a five-kilometre runway showcasing the latest trends in summer wear.

On show will be the newest street chic styles from leading local and foreign brands including EDC, AIIZ, Esprit and Adidas, along with the cosmopolitan look of Camel, Chaps, Guess, Hom and Pierre Cardin.

Brannds like Dapper, Fly Now, Greyhound and Sunshine will compete for interest, while Alisa, Ferreni Black, Kai and Karita Osel will be some of the glamour garments on parade.

For the Thai heritage look, there will be Nagara from Jim Thompson, Pichita and Muung-Doo.

Pimnara Kultanavite, a spokeswoman for Esprit, said that what is in vogue in street chic is comfortable casual wear with designs in bright pink, yellow, green and turquoise tints.

"Our concept is to express the idea of fashion clothing in real life. Our products stress comfort and most fabrics are made of cotton," she said.

For working women, smart but luxurious designs in dark colours like black, brown and grey are in.

Party people prefer contemporary and modern, said Pattaree Bhakdibutr, head of Greyhound's women's wear. The brand is highlighting party dresses in bright colours for both semiformal and casual occasions.

Greyhound will also present its summer collection in blue, orange, pink and green chiffon silk, with sleeveless tops, singlets and short skirts. Greyhound has also come up with white and pink cotton suits for casual attire.

For those looking for the big names in haute couture, Karita O'sel has prepared vivid silk chiffon evening dresses embroidered with sequins.

Purple, green and yellow evening gowns are made especially to beat the summer heat, while long black and elegant evening gowns exude an air of glamour and luxury.

To go with these fabulous dresses, 40 leading hairstylists from salon chain Chalachol will create matching coiffures.

--The Nation 2004-02-15

Well, I attended the Grand Fashion Parade, mainly to please the spouse, and have the following comments:

We began at Robinsons near Soi Asoke, and witnessed a fashion show made up entirely of transvestites. Interesting if Thailand was offering a showcase to the world of Thai culture.

The parade was pretty impressive. Many of the floats were imaginatively decorated and many of the girls looked at least worth having a beer or two with. What spoiled it, though, was that the parade was less of a parade and more a case of three or four floats followed by a 10 minute wait. Then three more came along together. Like waiting for a bus I suppose. Often, then, they went past too quickly for us to get a worthwhile look. And, most of the girls looked totally bored with the whole thing. Hardly saw a smile.

So, I'd say it was a good start, but they really need to tighten things up for next year. The side roads into Sukhumvit were also not blocked off to traffic (which would be an horrendous challenge anyway), so any car or tuk-tuk was free to join in the parade. And PLEASE ask the models to smile in the LOS!!

re: giraffe...interspecies sexual relations are not advised...

Nadje Auermann-Syndrome.

But then, if only a giraffe, consider please, I mean, you have to climb up, kiss,

slide down, run to the back, climb up, f...

slide down, run to the front, climb up, kiss.....

Na, I prefer Auermann-syndrome

axel...well, you know...there are arrangements that can be made with scaffolding although the bamboo variety popular here may not be safe in the heat of passion compared with the proper steel tube variety.

But that is a technicality. I would be disinclined to explore exchange of bodily fluids with large dromedary types. Camels perhaps?

• 3 years later...

UPDATE

A Bangkok fashion centre still far off

Thailand's goal to be an international fashion centre might seem a distant dream but there is a belief that by holding world-class shows here, the country may come closer to its objective.

Although enterprises like The Emporium have arranged shows, the country still needs government support and cooperation among the private sector. With the government no longer supporting the Bangkok Fashion City project, Siam Paragon, the Emporium and Central have taken up the slack. However, these have all been arranged independently and separately.

The Emporium Fashion Showcase 2008 was the first time international labels like Chanel, Chlo, Kenzo and Valentino exhibited together. Elle Fashion Week at CentralWorld is held annually, showing the most talented local designers.

Khunying Natthika Wattanavekin Angubolkul believes the country has the potential to become a fashion centre. She said there should be opportunities for fashion talent here and help from the government. But she wishes fashion shows were more integrated. "Most shows in Thailand are arranged separately, but it would be better if local brands could also have shows together with international ones. It would create more impact," she said.

Pimpreecha Deesawadi said Thailand's ambition might be a bit much. "It's difficult, because people in this country still view fashion as a luxury, not art," Pimpreecha said.

Christian Piat, vice president of Kenzo Asia, is more optimistic, saying Thailand had creativity, potential markets and the materials to work with. "If import duties are reduced, more people could afford our clothes," he said.

As many as 200 students attended a Chanel symposium. Fashion students were taught the importance of fashion. Many were impressed with the intricacies and detail that goes into a Chanel item.

"Chanel is a real brand of quality. You can see by their method of trimming. It is made with quality. That is why it has been around for so long," said Sarunphon Chairin, 20, a student from Bangkok University.

Yesterday, Kenzo showed its daring, exquisite jungle collection, with bright, contrasting colours, sequins and wild flowers. The Emporium show wraps up tomorrow with Valentino, a swansong for the designer after 45 years.

- The Nation