If You Hate Thailand, Why Live Here ?

soi41

Really they should require proof of 10x this amount before allowing a marriage license to be granted, would protect all those young brides scammed into marrying kee nok's without a pot to piss in.

One man's pisspot is another man's reservoir of Lao Khao.

Edited by Almera

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

why, i'm not a teacher but this confuses me, why do they bother the old expats so much.

-

Actually it's the old expats that have to struggle on TEFL wages that draw the most disdain, most realize the youngsters are just doing it for a temporary adventure, similar to a gap year experience much of the time, have other careers in their future.

Those that have put their nose to the grindstone and lived mainstream sensible lives and can afford to live on their retirement arrangements obviously look down their noses on those forced by poor planning to keep teaching into their 80's.

>

Nothing is easy but is doable, while being married to a Thai does not get you anything everwai.gif

Utter nonsense.

It gets you easy 12 month extensions of stay with no need to show any proof of funds, and then after 5 years you can get a Thai passport of you wish.

If you are a female.

-

Why on earth does anyone have a problem with this? We take tremendous advantage of the patriarchal culture here, why hold a grudge in the 1% of the time when it's not in our favour?

The proof of funds required is such a tiny amount compared to what you actually need for a secure life here, it's fair enough that the Thais feel anyone who finds this requirement a problem isn't welcome here.

Really they should require proof of 10x this amount before allowing a marriage license to be granted, would protect all those young brides scammed into marrying kee nok's without a pot to piss in.

Whose doing the scamming ? whistling.gif

And the proof of funds should be a reciprical arragement as well. whistling.gif

Thailand has only one "prosperous" neighbor -- one that few people want to go to because the inherent racism and Islamic fundamentalism there is written into its laws to such an extent that even Malaysian nationals who are other than Malay stock are second class citizens.

I have been to kl many times. Love it. In fact, thinking of spending more time there. And no, I did not feel like it was an Islamic fundamentalist society that is say, Saudi Arabia. Everything was quite modern and normal. As for second class citizens etc, I am not a citizen so don't know about that. Oh, the visa rules are very clear eg my second home program. Edited by doggie888888

Thailand has only one "prosperous" neighbor -- one that few people want to go to because the inherent racism and Islamic fundamentalism there is written into its laws to such an extent that even Malaysian nationals who are other than Malay stock are second class citizens.

I have been to kl many times. Love it. In fact, thinking of spending more time there. And no, I did not feel like it was an Islamic fundamentalist society that is say, Saudi Arabia. Everything was quite modern and normal. As for second class citizens etc, I am not a citizen so don't know about that. Oh, the visa rules are very clear eg my second home program.

I try to avoid arguing with such people, for fear that I convince them and they come to KL.

We don't want that sort of bigot here.

SC

• Like 1

so the expats who have a little cash now have risen to such heights and can now look down on the other old guys who teach.

think I would prefer to talk to the teacher, the one without a God complex.

-

Another factor is that some seem to feel teaching English requires an advanced education, a particular type of accent or level of socio-economic class, and make fun of TEFLers who previously held working class occupations. Even having tattoos or body piercing seems to be a sign of "can't be a real teacher" for some.

• 1 month later...

I don't hate 'Thailand'.

I just don't like Thai culture, society or the average Thai.

Which is why I'm perfectly happy having almost zero interaction with them while living here in a nice, pretty country.

It would be interesting to hear from the posters that "love Thailand" how long they've been here.

25 years and I prefer most Thais to many Westerners. In general, they are pretty easy to get along with.

I prefer most thais to most westerners i meet in Thailand, hands down. I just assume that a farang is an a-hole unless they prove otherwise. I dont blame the Thais for treating us the same way really. They are very tolerant in all fairness.

Thailand is just a great place, i understand why all the weirdos rock up here, but why not more nicer people. Its all about your attitude really.

thumbsup.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1

"Thailand is just a great place, i understand why all the weirdos rock up here, but why not more nicer people. Its all about your attitude really."

There are not as many nicer people here just for the very fact that the nicer people are well adjusted human beings. The kind of people that are attracted to Thailand are generally people from failed marriages or relationships (their spouses finally had enough), drunks or druggies, lazy or unable to hold down a job, have low social skills so find it difficult to meet a partner, most have hygiene problems (people, brush your teeth more than once a year, disgusting), are embarrassed by their sexual preferences and are unable to find a partner willing to participate back home (thus they come here and pay people for such services), some are violent people, some are evading the law. But they are not weirdos, that is too kind of word.

But there are others (these are the weirdos) that are well adjusted who are embarrassed by most of the ex-pat communities actions and live quiet sheltered lives working, raising a family and treating Thailand like a home.

What a sad post! sad.png What gives you the right to judge other people ? Apart from your selfinflated opinion of yourself. What about live and let live?

• Like 2

"Thailand is just a great place, i understand why all the weirdos rock up here, but why not more nicer people. Its all about your attitude really."

There are not as many nicer people here just for the very fact that the nicer people are well adjusted human beings. The kind of people that are attracted to Thailand are generally people from failed marriages or relationships (their spouses finally had enough), drunks or druggies, lazy or unable to hold down a job, have low social skills so find it difficult to meet a partner, most have hygiene problems (people, brush your teeth more than once a year, disgusting), are embarrassed by their sexual preferences and are unable to find a partner willing to participate back home (thus they come here and pay people for such services), some are violent people, some are evading the law. But they are not weirdos, that is too kind of word.

But there are others (these are the weirdos) that are well adjusted who are embarrassed by most of the ex-pat communities actions and live quiet sheltered lives working, raising a family and treating Thailand like a home.

What a sad post! sad.png What gives you the right to judge other people ? Apart from your selfinflated opinion of yourself. What about live and let live?

Why is it a sad post? It doesn't sound like he is judging anyone, only telling it like it is.

Edited by Spaniel

Think you should loosen up. Do you like everything you read in YOUR newspaper. ?

He should be allowed to speak his mind without this sort of negative comment. The OP seems very loosened up and calm, it looks like you are the one that needs to "loosen up"! whistling.gif

QUOTE from OP:

"especially now where your homecountries are falling apart".

The Op is right, some posters are professional complainers with a very negative attitude. That includes the OP.

Some love complaining about Thailand, some love complaining about Farangland.

Not much difference between the two.

Right, the only difference being is that this is THAIVISA! a forum about THAILAND and people living in it! the clue is in the domain. wink.png

The difference of opinions is interesting, why complain about someone else's opinion? Do you think you can change it?

Opinions can be changed, that's why we have politics and political campaigns etc. Though some things in Thailand will never change, so why complain about it? Just leave.

People with the courage to leave their home countries (for whatever reasons) can never be considered 'normal'.

They are by definition, adventurous and different to the 99.9% of the world population who live and die within 100km of their birth place.

The well adjusted stay at home with everyone else who is well adjusted.

• Like 1

Are you judging him for judging other people?

Tsk tsk, shame on you rolleyes.gif

Some people like me, post negative posts on the Thai and Thailand because I personally think we just a few minor changes here and there, you have acheived a human paradise on earth.

You never here me being that negative about England and thats because I think its a losts cause, why dwell on it.

Personally I love Thailand, especially the Thais. Incidentally, no matter how much I bitch and moan, I am going nowhere.

• Like 1

Some people like me, post negative posts on the Thai and Thailand because I personally think we just a few minor changes here and there, you have acheived a human paradise on earth.

You never here me being that negative about England and thats because I think its a losts cause, why dwell on it.

Personally I love Thailand, especially the Thais. Incidentally, no matter how much I bitch and moan, I am going nowhere.

"You never here me being that negative about England"

I your post is anything to go by, schools are not very good !!whistling.gif

People with the courage to leave their home countries (for whatever reasons) can never be considered 'normal'.

They are by definition, adventurous and different to the 99.9% of the world population who live and die within 100km of their birth place.

I know as many who left their home countries because they are "losers" or "cowards" as who are "adventurous" or "different".

I know as many who left their home countries because they are "losers" or "cowards" as who are "adventurous" or "different".

Your outlook on life must be very sad, if you view many people in such a bad way. (mong loch ngair rai)

Out of the hundred foreigners I know, only one would fit into your view of the world.