Funds Sought For Study On Cable Car

Lite Beer

Funds sought for study on cable car
The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- The public organisation Designated Areas for Sustainable Tourism Administration (DASTA) has called on the government to provide funds for the study of a 3.8-km cable-car service at Phu Kradung National Park even as environmentalists continue to oppose the proposal.

At a seminar held by DASTA entitled "Phu Kradung's cable car only a part of ecological system", Narikattipak Sangsanit said the agency has not resolved yet whether the cable-car system should be constructed, as it needs more information.

The government has assigned the DASTA and the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment to conduct a research on the matter but the agency has not received the Bt20 million in funds the government was supposed to allocate for the study.

Somsak Kachornchalermsak, chairman of the Northeastern Provincial Chamber of Commerce, said the private sector has been pushing for the development for the past 30 years. Former PM Thaksin Shinawatra had approved the study, which estimated that construction of a cable-car system would cost around Bt400 million. But there had not been any progress on the project until PM Yingluck Shinawatra took office.

Natural Resources Minister Preecha Rengsomboon has been pushing for the project in the belief that it would upgrade Loei's tourism to international standards.

Seub Nakasathien Foundation director Nopprat Naksathit, however, opposed the development on the grounds that the rise in the number of tourists throughout the year would stop the local ecological system recovering. He said that over the past 50 years, tourists had been visiting Phu Kradung from October to February and nature had seven months to restore itself. "If there are visitors throughout the year, we will destroy tourism because nature will lose its balance,'' he said.

Phu Kradung National Park chief Thitsak Suriyachaiwattana said the park had conducted a survey of locals and they said they wanted a cable-car system because children are not interested in being labourers to carry tourists and their belongings to the national park.

Paripon Wattanakham, a children's activist, said Phu Kradung does not belong to the people of Loei alone but to every Thai so they all should be allowed to take part in making the decision. "We must take into account the local way of life, traditions and local identity before making the decision,'' he said.

Sithichai Sithirat, a former Loei leader, said the development would destroy the local economy. Locals are able to trade goods along the route up to the park but if there is a cable-car, capitalists would grab this trade. He also opposed a rise in the fee to carry tourists' belongings from Bt15 per kg Bt30 per kg.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-17

Why does it take B20 million to decide if a cable-car is a good idea?

I would give them an answer for only B10 million.

But are you related to a Thai politician? I believe that may be an essential qualification for "consultants" and committee members.

• Like 1

I have hiked to the top, and had a great time due to the somewhat challenging trail. A cable car would circumvent that, and makes about as much sense as putting a cable car up to the top of Mount Everest....

Yeah I like the 20 million baht study. Classic !!!!!!!!

The government has assigned the DASTA and the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment to conduct a research on the matter but the agency has not received the Bt20 million in funds the government was supposed to allocate for the study.

So somewhere between the "supposed to allocate" and DSTA getting it the 20mill has gone missing.

With a moniker like DASTA anything is possible, mind you this has been done a few times ,so plans are available, however the donkey would probably be more appropriate, there's few around.coffee1.gif

Here's one.

donkey-pulling-cart.jpg

• Like 1

Seub Nakasathien Foundation director Nopprat Naksathit, however, opposed the development on the grounds that the rise in the number of tourists throughout the year would stop the local ecological system recovering. He said that over the past 50 years, tourists had been visiting Phu Kradung from October to February and nature had seven months to restore itself. "If there are visitors throughout the year, we will destroy tourism because nature will lose its balance,'' he said.

I have hiked to the top, and had a great time due to the somewhat challenging trail. A cable car would circumvent that, and makes about as much sense as putting a cable car up to the top of Mount Everest....

Yeah I like the 20 million baht study. Classic !!!!!!!!

As a hiker to the top also, I, too think it's a bad idea to run cable-car to the top. The pristine and unique ecological properties would face certain destruction from over-visitation. There'd be 7-Eleven at the summit in no time. Seub also raises very valid issues.

IMHO, I hope they don't go through with the plan.

Edited by Buchholz

It all seems fair enough.

Once you've put together a fact finding team and an itinary that will take in cable cars around the world, like Rio for example, with all the first class travel, five star hotels, posh restaurants. local 'hospitality' and pressies for the wives (both of them) there won't be much left from that 20m.