Wanted St. Bernard Male

We have a 3 year old St Bernard female we would like to breed from, but although she is very willing we can't find a partner for her.

We live in Pattaya and have advertised on the various notice bords and have searched the markets looking for a male pup to buy.

It really seems that there are only females out there.

If you have a mature male looking for a good time or two or know where we can buy a male puppy your response would be very much appreciated.

post-8381-1141977230.jpg

Do you have experience at breeding St Bernards? If so, then I guess you know what you are doing, but if not I think you will find there is a lot more to it than you think.

If you are seriously interested and willing to research the background of the dog and ensure that they are of quality breeding (which many are not) then look at pantipmarket.com (in thai) which often has stud dogs listed from all breeds. Beware that many are probably just people trying to make some quick money and there is every chance that you could have future problems if the dogs are not bred well. I personally wouldn't want to risk it. I used to have a male st bernard that had medical problems which I suspect were from breeding even though he had a pedigree ... I had to re-home him but before I did I had him neutered so that there would be no chance of the bad traits continuing.

Just read your post again and noticed that you were also thinking of buying a male pup... are you aware that males can not be bred for quite a long time (24 months, I think) and if they are bred before this time the pups will not get a pedigree. Do a search on the internet about breeding and you will find that this is the wrong way to go about it. Also, what do you plan to do with the puppies? Have you thought about the type of home they might go to as I suspect that often they go to homes where they really shouldn't be going to.

Hello Kippers,

been looking at your post, affraid that i do not know anything about St Bernards although i do know what kind of dog they are.

I have a Golden retriever dog Pedigree, and whilst i was searching around the Internet looking for information i came across this. Saint Bernard club of Thailand tel 09-4829944 so i thought that i would post this for you, i am not sure where it is based. I hope that this will help you.

I would say think very carefully. In my opinion St. Bernards are not suited to the weather. They come from a temperate climate not a boiling hot one.

A friend in the UK had one, he cost her so much money. Not only did he have hip dysplasia, he also had something wrong with his eyes so the eylashes turned inward, he later developed diabetes which entailed twice daily urinalysis and insulin injections.

I am not suggesting you would get anything like that, but do consider carefully whether Thailand needs any more dogs.

• 2 weeks later...

i had a st. bernard. love em so much. most beautiful dog (most clumsy) as well. but they just need so much attention and no matter how much love and attention you give them. they lack one thing, the right climate for them to live in. Thailand, no matter how north you get, just aint enough. our dog was always heading towards mud to keep himself cool. my dog eventually got stolen. perhaps our garden was a bit too big for him that we didnt even realize a thief in there. they are such loving dogs.

my opinion is that st. bernards should not be bred here. period. there is lack of knowledge about st. bernards here. someone mentioned a st. bernard have hip dysplasia. well its very common as they cannot have the regular puppy food that most puppies have simply because too much protein gets all the muscles and mass grow faster than the bone growth can keep up. They need a special puppy meal with more calcium intake rather than a focus on protein.

So true, even though you may be a wonderful loving owner not everyone here is capable of doing what it takes to care for a St Bernard in the tropics.

I know people who have one and the dog got maggots because they were unaware that he needed to be shaved regularly (just too hot for the dog). He had a small cut, and under all that hair, it festered and flies laid their eggs.

They have the dog shaved regularly now but the local clinic has to actually sedate the dog to cut its hair. If you were going to breed your female in order to keep the dogs yourself that would be one thing but if you were looking at selling them then I would be very wary, if it were me.

That said, if you still want to go ahead with it, check out thaisecondhand.com they also have alot of dog breeds listed there as well (site is in thai).