Moving Chickens

Scully

I have done pig farming in the past and have a friend asking advice about his chickens as I raised them too.

The problem is he has chickens for laying and has has to move three times in 6 months and now the chickens have stopped laying, any tips from the experts. Is it just a case of waiting until they are settled again or can he do anything to speed up the process?.

Thanks in advance.

Chooks go off the lay at the drop of a hat ,just let them settle in and the eggs will start to come.

That's what I said as soon as they are settled, I wonder if David 48 could visit and stroke his chooks for a few hours a day, they would like that.

wink.png

Op, why did you raise your friends chickens ??

I raised my own chicken's too, but you knew that.

Anyway still no eggs, a friend uses a battery type method and get eggs daily. Only asking as a favour because he rents a farm with accomodation for 1000 a month, not a palace blink.png and the extra cash helps him, Plus he's a good bloke, hard to find around these parts.

How long had they been laying before they were moved? It may be time for them to molt or they might have gone into a molt because of all the moving. If they are molting, they may not lay for a while, but shuold start back up eventually. Are they losing any feathers? Do they have enough hours of light?

• Like 1

How long had they been laying before they were moved? It may be time for them to molt or they might have gone into a molt because of all the moving. If they are molting, they may not lay for a while, but shuold start back up eventually. Are they losing any feathers? Do they have enough hours of light?

They are not moulting but he lets them run free, with the hot weather I think thay spend most of the time in the shade ie barn. Will this make a difference?.