Uk Passport For New Born Baby Question

My wife will very soon be giving birth to our first child, we are currently in Buriram and shortly after the childs birth will return to the UK to settle permanently.

I have been researching what I need for the passport and see -

- Passport Fee
- Two Identity and Passport Service standard photographs (1 countersigned)
- C2 form (countersigned) AND The child’s full foreign birth certificate and my original UK long version birth certificate
- Copy of parents’ passports.
On the this site https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/applying/child it says as this is a first passport the application must be made in person at the embassy, not sent to Hong Kong direct.
1) Is this definitely right? Ive found loads of posts of similar people who say they have sent it to the embassy in Bangkok or Consulate General in Hong Kong.
2) If so, does in person mean the baby has to go as its the babies application!? Or could I go on its behalf?
Any advice from anyone with recent experience would be great!!

You will also need to get the Thai birth certificate translated into English by an authorised translator and then get it legalised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA). I did this buy email/post and can recommend a firm in Bangkok who did it for my daughter about 7 months ago. Transferred the money into their account. About 1800 THB in total, which includes a 700 THB fee for taking it to the MFA. I don't know about the postal issue - I think you can send all your papers to Bangkok but somebody else will advise on this - we're near enough to Bangkok that it wasn't a major problem to go in person.

You probably already know that your child will also be a Thai national by birth and will get it a Thai passport, then have it leave and enter Thailand with the Thai passport, enter and leave the UK with the UK passport.

If you go the postal route and if anything is not correct you will lose all your fees and costs. If you go in person they will fully check, and vet your application, if ok they will send it on.

Are you married? Do you have marriage cert?

You will also need to get the Thai birth certificate translated into English by an authorised translator and then get it legalised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA). I did this buy email/post and can recommend a firm in Bangkok who did it for my daughter about 7 months ago. Transferred the money into their account. About 1800 THB in total, which includes a 700 THB fee for taking it to the MFA. I don't know about the postal issue - I think you can send all your papers to Bangkok but somebody else will advise on this - we're near enough to Bangkok that it wasn't a major problem to go in person.

I'm also in a similar situation as the op.

Thank you for the information about legalising the translated birth certificate at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

I would very much appreciate if you could give me the name/address of the firm who helped you with that.

Kind regards, Brendan.

When we got our daughter's passport (British-British) we had her birth certificate translated and verified by MFA using the major forum sponsor. Same price everybody is talking about and excellent service. Asoke branch.

I did the application in person to ensure we also got a British birth registration. This is only useful if you have future plans to naturalise your child (as you do). This might make it worthwhile as it will save you yet another job on moving back to the UK. I took my (then) 3 month old daughter with me and she got me through the queueing system and into a private room pretty quickly ;)

When we got our daughter's passport (British-British) we had her birth certificate translated and verified by MFA using the major forum sponsor. Same price everybody is talking about and excellent service. Asoke branch.

I did the application in person to ensure we also got a British birth registration. This is only useful if you have future plans to naturalise your child (as you do). This might make it worthwhile as it will save you yet another job on moving back to the UK. I took my (then) 3 month old daughter with me and she got me through the queueing system and into a private room pretty quickly wink.png

Thanks for that.

It's helped me a lot :)

Thanks for all the replies guys, really useful. Had no idea I had to go to the MFA again (hate that place!)

To answer one poster yeah I am married etc but my understanding is that is pretty irrelevant in the whole process?

Anyway, my understanding is you can post Birth Certificate to them, they`ll get it translated and legalised and then post it back for 1800 baht?? This would avoid the hassle and expense of Bangkok but the website still says the application needs to be in person meaning Id have to go to Bangkok anyway to hand it in unsure.png

If I could do this, then post the application it would be preferable but it says I cant. (yet i read lots of people have) Confused!

Updated....

On the website it simply says "Any mandatory documents that are not in English should be translated by a recognised, professional translator, not a friend or relative."

It doesnt mention anything any legalising them? Pretty sure it`s not necessary.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-thailand/legislation-services

"The United Kingdom does not require any Thai documents to be legalised by the British Embassy/Consulate for use within the UK."

Edited by tullynagardy

Updated....

On the website it simply says "Any mandatory documents that are not in English should be translated by a recognised, professional translator, not a friend or relative."

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-thailand/legislation-services

"The United Kingdom does not require any Thai documents to be legalised by the British Embassy/Consulate for use within the UK."

Better to be safe than sorry!

Updated....

I received an email reply from the British Embassy in Bangkok telling me that a legalised MFA birth certificate is not required....although I agree, better to be safe than sorry!

I have some questions about the countersigning.

I understand that I would actually have someone confirming that they have known ME for 2 years and not my son because how would someone have known a new born baby for 2 years!....also, I'm the person making the application.

I have no problem finding a countersignature for me but of course, they would have to sign the passport photo of my son...and the people I could get to countersign all live in the UK.

Non would have personally have met my son, so I was interested what other posters have done or intend to do about countersigning the C2 form and their child's passport photo?

I recently (last month) obtained a passport for my daughter, the birth certificate was translated into English but not legalised,

and had no problems. You may find you need to produce the Khor Ror 2 with your marriage certificate, which is what we did, and again this was translated as well. I did everything in person at the embassy, they checked everything and where very helpful. A friend of mine has also recently obtained a passport for his daughter, his girlfriend and daughter were not present, all he showed was her I. D. card and Thai passport. again he had no problems.

• Like 1

Good to know you don't need documents to be legalised as it is an inconvenience and an expense - not that I plan to have any more kids but good to know for future reference.

On the issue of counter-signatures I have British friends here in LOS who can vouch for me as required; I think, however, a national from any EU country is acceptable ...... if that helps.

I recently (last month) obtained a passport for my daughter, the birth certificate was translated into English but not legalised,

and had no problems. You may find you need to produce the Khor Ror 2 with your marriage certificate, which is what we did, and again this was translated as well. I did everything in person at the embassy, they checked everything and where very helpful. A friend of mine has also recently obtained a passport for his daughter, his girlfriend and daughter were not present, all he showed was her I. D. card and Thai passport. again he had no problems.

Just what I needed to know.

Maybe after a couple of weeks of nappies and screaming a wee trip to Bangkok will seem relaxing biggrin.png

• Like 1

An applicant is eligible to submit his paperwork for a passport if he has reached 16 years or older and he is a British citizen either at home in the U.K. or in a British overseas territory. Additionally British subjects, nationals outside of the country, and protected persons can apply as well. As of 2011, you should also be prepared to pay a fee of 77.50 British Pounds when sending in your passport application. For more inormation http://applicants.co.uk/passport-application/

Maybe after a couple of weeks of nappies and screaming a wee trip to Bangkok will seem relaxing :D

Don't forget that given your child will have thai citizenship that they'll also need a thai passport which they'll depart Thailand on.

Maybe after a couple of weeks of nappies and screaming a wee trip to Bangkok will seem relaxing biggrin.png

Don't forget that given your child will have thai citizenship that they'll also need a thai passport which they'll depart Thailand on.

Are you saying the child couldnt depart on the UK one?

They could, but as a dual citizen myself, it isn't advised.

Thailand's immigration works a bit like accounting. Debits and credits. If you are a Thai citizen who is born in Thailand, when you leave on your Thai passport it is recorded electronically, so when you return on the Thai passport, the re-entry is reconciled against the original departure.

If you take a look at a range often repeated threads on Thai Visa, you'll see people who were departed as children on their foregin passport, and when they attempt to return to Thailand to stay long term, or to live, find that they can't as they never left as a Thai citizen and thus have difficulty entering on the Thai passport. So they are stuck living in Thailand on a foreign passport. (nb...there are ways around this, but it often involves involving more senior officals at the airport, a hassle you don't need after 15+ hours of travel).

So even though you say now you intend to live permanently in the UK, if your child ever needs to come back to live in Thailand for extended periods, the Thai passport will be needed.

In any case, the Thai passport is simple document to apply for. No forms to to fill in, and a 3 day turn around. Only costs 1000 baht as well.

Edited by samran

You can depart on the UK one. The issue is the re-entry to Thailand afterwards. If you use the UK one when you enter, you'll then need to use the UK one for the next exit as well, until you finally end up using a Thai one on arrival.

It's not a huge issue as under 14s don't get hit with overstay fines, but it's simpler to just get the Thai passport (lot cheaper and quicker than the UK one.)

Updated....

I received an email reply from the British Embassy in Bangkok telling me that a legalised MFA birth certificate is not required....although I agree, better to be safe than sorry!

I have some questions about the countersigning.

I understand that I would actually have someone confirming that they have known ME for 2 years and not my son because how would someone have known a new born baby for 2 years!....also, I'm the person making the application.

I have no problem finding a countersignature for me but of course, they would have to sign the passport photo of my son...and the people I could get to countersign all live in the UK.

Non would have personally have met my son, so I was interested what other posters have done or intend to do about countersigning the C2 form and their child's passport photo?

When I was going through this process I was told by the British Embassy that my Pu Yai Bahn could sign the photo. In the end we got a Scottish teaching colleague of my wife to do it.

wink.png Not sure about the U.K. process but for a U.S. passport they strongly reccomend you bring the child in person, simply because pictures of infants are unreliable (they grow so fast a picture taken at 3 months is practically unrecoonizable at one year old).,

rolleyes.gif

wink.png Not sure about the U.K. process but for a U.S. passport they strongly reccomend you bring the child in person, simply because pictures of infants are unreliable (they grow so fast a picture taken at 3 months is practically unrecoonizable at one year old).,

rolleyes.gif

Still makes me giggle that my daughter will be travelling on her first passport at 5.5 years old with a photo taken when she was 3.5 months! No wonder they won't let under 18s use the biometric scanners (even though you have to pay for a biometric passport bah.gif ).

• 4 weeks later...

Tullynagardy I just PM you I just got my newborn a Thai Passport took just over a week inc Songkran . I was impressed !
Now its the British Passport , I wondered same thing as you ,
1. Need for photo's Signing ?
2. need for Birth certificate Veryfing at MFA (Grrrrrrrrrr).
3. Need for Marriage cert Veryfing at MFA Also ?

I understand they need translating by an Autherised Translater .

I wondered if you had done it already and how long you expect to wait , for it being posted back . I am at the same visit to Bangkok going to try and arrange Visitor Visas for my Wife and her other Daughter . I don't want to loose too many days on 6 months visa sat in Thailand waiting for British passport .So I would like to Ask for Visitor Vissa starting roughly at time of British passport Arival .

• 2 months later...

I read through this topic 4 weeks ago when researching and we applied and just received a first UK passport for my son this morning (British father, Thai mother, 2 month old baby)

This is what we needed (Passport only, we did not opt to register the birth with the UK):

1 - Passport Fee
2 - 2 x passport photos, one countersigned (I used a friend who is a 'Manager')
3 - Completed C2 form
4 - Thai birth certificate translated by a 'professional translator'*
5 - Fathers Passport
6 - Father's long UK Birth Certificate
* (we used Express Translation Service & Travel Co., Ltd., 888 Mahatun Plaza Building, near Ploenchit BTS - a 5 minute walk from the British Embassy) - this was stamped by the translation firm and we did NOT get this certified at MFA
We also had with us my wife's Thai passport, both types of Thai marriage certificate, numerous blue books, id cards, and other stuff I can't remember however I wanted to attempt giving over the minimum possible as stated on the C2 form's supporting documents list.
It is not required to be married for a baby to be considered British so long as the father is named on the Birth Certificate, so strictly sticking to the 'supporting documents' requirements the first list was enough, however the lady said
'do you have your marriage certificate'
to which I replied, 'why - do i need it?'.
She got maybe a little bit short, and replied 'I only asked if you have it. In fact it is not required, but since you have stated that you are married in the C2 form, it is better to include it'
Again we provided a translation stamped by a translator and NOT certified by MFA
We were running late, got there around 10.30, place completely empty and we were out having submitted the application 15 minutes later. To be honest I think they did us a favour as some signs stated a 10am cut off for document submission. We had a 2 month old with us, it may have helped!
Got the passport this morning after 3.5 weeks
In short, my experience is that for a Passport only, it is absolutely unnecessary for MFA endorsement, and that the whole process could easily be done in a single morning if you're at the translators by 8 - 8.30am and in to the Embassy by 10
Edited by rwdrwdrwd

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

This website gives the info you need. Just go thought the steps until you get ot the last page. https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand

It can take 8 weeks or more. There is long topic about changes to UK passport service on this forum where you can find more info or do a post.

Yes I've been through the website and already applied, but I heard from one chap who was applying that he has waiting 3 months and still he had not received the passport.....but that was for an application in the Philippines.. He said that this is happening to all applicants outside the UK for British passports, but I notice that it will take 16 weeks from the Philippines and 8 weeks from Thailand. Unsure why this is the case as they all are processed in UK now.Still it is a long time...

Edited by SPIKECM