Synthetic Rattan Pool Loungers.....good?

Have to buy some loungers.

The most maintenance free and fairly comfortable seem to be the synthetic rattan.

There are two grades.

One as from Homepro for 4900bt, looks like rubbish the fittings aren't even stainless it will be crap in no time.

Two is what I am told is acrylic rattan and said to be UV stable and durable. It is twice the price but may be worth it.

My question is......is it in fact durable?

Any experience out there?

Thanks!

These ok,

http://www.lannamarket.com/chair.html

B003, made from mai sak wood 1,500 baht.

Your mrs can translate the rest.

Thankyou for that RGS

however I want these loungers to stay outside day and night in sun and rain.

My guess is they won't last.

A pity as the price is right!

Rattan furniture is really cheap and can be bought, used, thrown away and replaced, easy!!

It is an option to get something much cheaper and replace it regularly.......but I'd like to get some personal experience of the synthetic rattan if possible.

I bought an outdoor table and chairs set which was made from what I think you are describing. I don't know what grade it was. It was good for around 3-4 years I guess, then it paid the price of being in the sun for too long and basically started disintegrating. All that's left now is the steel framework which the missus (being Thai) refuses to throw out. The chairs were comfortable, and I think it would make for a comfortable sun lounger. Maybe you should investigate how easy it is to get the frames recovered/wrapped with the same material when the time comes. If they're not too heavy storing them in the shade when not in use would no doubt extend their life expectancy..

Thankyou Jimmy

I'm told there are two grades of the synthetic rattan and the good one's acrylic resin.

As your furniture had steel frames (if that's exactly true?) I would say you have the cheaper version of rattan, which indeed starts to degrade faster. My feeling is there should be nothing corrodable.

I have today checked out some loungers with the better rattan, with aluminium frames and stainless fittings. It's a shop I have used for some time with a farang husband so I can guess everything's kosher.

I want the loungers to remain outside permanently but made of aluminium they are indeed very light.

Also FYI the chap showed me that with the cheaper ones the rattan goes all along the edges after time. With the better he said you can still get a broken reed, but he showed me how it can be fixed by heat welding to a short new piece of rattan and weaving it in.

Out of interest Jimmy what did you pay?

Edited by cheeryble

It was some time ago and I really can't remember what I paid, sorry, but it wasn't expensive. It was most likely the lower grade. It was good while it lasted and it's not a purchase I ever regretted.

Edited by jimmybkk

Thanks

Hmmm

one year really wouldn't be satisfactory for the price.

I guess they were the lower quality, but also guess you wouldn't know.....?

I think there really is a big difference in quality. I saw two shops yesterday.

At one the aluminium (most were actually soft steel!) was appallingly welded and knobbly as hell with unpainted welds sticking out all over the place. She didn't answer about the plastic so I'd be sure it was the cheap one.

At the other place the side bars which take most of the stress were constructed with shallow angle diagonals and very neatly finished and painted. He brought up the "rattan" quality.

The other thing is the rattan presumably can be rewoven on the same frame.

I bought the all synthetic "rattan", one peice, sun loungers from a store in baan tawai , Chiang Mai. 3 years ago ; the pair was 8000bht . Sent them over to UK. They had summers and a winter, rain, ice, snow, sun, heat, moist, leaves and naughty kids jumping, sliding and clambering all over them + some big heavy adults on them , 2 at a time no problem. They are still pritty much as good as new. The colours still strong dark kinda woven wood effect brown. They are solid and weigh about 90kg each. The shop lady described them as UV / weather proof; I think its what your talking about. No frame; just a solid woven mass.

In a nut shell they seem damn good. Held up way better than any the UK garden centres could offer.

I'll be getting some more for my new Thai place.

Maybe the stronger Thai sun might cause some discolouration but structurally I reckon they'll last.

Your other option is ofcourse some quality teak. That will discolour but can be restrained etc as often as you feel like, but structurally should be good for a long time also.

Thankyou Mccw

....sounds like good news, though I can't quite understand about the weight.

Good frames are made from aluminium and stainless steel fittings and can be lifted with one hand.

The price and weight suggest you may have got a cheaper version.

The "rattan" stands up very well indeed to rain and fades very little, but the main enemy is sunlight weakening the fibre.

I guess the UK has weaker sun than here but hey three years with no ill effects is good anyway.

In any case thanks for the info I would like as many anecdotes as possible!

Edited by cheeryble

Thankyou Mccw

Good frames are made from aluminium and stainless steel fittings and can be lifted with one hand.

The "rattan" stands up very well indeed to rain and fades very little, but the main enemy is sunlight weakening the fibre.

I guess the UK has weaker sun than here but hey three years with no ill effects is good anyway.

I think the price reflects the number of steps between sale and manufacture. I got them from the place where they are sent out for export other other areas of the country. The same chair in a show room in centre town would be almost double; bkk or Samui double that again. In UK they cost a fortune.

It's the large one piece kinda sculpted form lounger I'm talking about; not a recliner/ adjustable frame with rattan over it.

I think maybe under the rattan is a teak frame; hence the weight. No visible metal anywhere, just s wood board covering the underside.

Thankyou Mccw

I think the price reflects the number of steps between sale and manufacture. I got them from the place where they are sent out for export other other areas of the country. The same chair in a show room in centre town would be almost double; bkk or Samui double that again. In UK they cost a fortune.

It's the large one piece kinda sculpted form lounger I'm talking about; not a recliner/ adjustable frame with rattan over it.

I think maybe under the rattan is a teak frame; hence the weight. No visible metal anywhere, just s wood board covering the underside.

Maybe you could elaborate on where exactly you got the loungers, as it maybe of interest to other members.

If u know where is Baan Tawai ; it's on the left side about a km or two before you reach the busy tourist handicraft market zone. It's a single level series of units. The store in question is a front facing the road.