Cheaper Areas In Bangkok Frequented By The Artistic Community?

fish fingers

What wd be your recommendations? I wd like to rent a cheap live/work studio for a few months, away from the Sukhumvit area and other typical 'trendy' places, i'm kind of sick of Thong Lo etc. Looking for a part of Bangkok a bit rough and ready, but an interesting creative scene with decent bars, like Shoreditch in London used to be, back in the day. Is there such an area in Bkk ?

Edited by fish fingers

There's some nice places just away from Khao San Road on Sam Sen,or just off it I should say.Not known by any crusty backpackers,just locals!
I used to live in Pinklao/Bangplad a few years ago also,across the river from Khao San Road.I had to walk a kilometre through a Thai village on stilts to get to the hotel I was living in,like a village within Bangkok very strange!

The area around Kao San is your best bet. Several liberal colleges around including, I think, Silpakorn which is an arts college. But I think you're romantizing a bit. Pinklao isn't very exciting to be honest and quite rough, much traffic. I'd probably want to stay somewhere of Samsen Road north of Kao San and in a nicer apartment not one of those dumps.

There is some definite art/gentrification process going on in Pinklao.

There is now an open-fronted thai architecture dance studio with an attached coffee shop on the first junction across the river. It is cool because it is not trying to be painfully cool.

• Like 1

There is some definite art/gentrification process going on in Pinklao.

There is now an open-fronted thai architecture dance studio with an attached coffee shop on the first junction across the river. It is cool because it is not trying to be painfully cool.

Up and coming place,after all Sponge Bob Square Face used to live there,didn't he?

Go down Chok Chai 4, take a left at the big Bike shop. Hang right at the temple and the road opens out into a wide open avenue. About 3 km down at the second set of lights, there's a small Lotus on the left, turn right and you;ll find what you want. The area's between Phahonyothin and Lad Prao and is a beautiful part of Bkk.

Edited by Soi Sauce