How Do You Keep Fit And Healthy Here In Thailand?

andrew

How do you keep fit and healthy here in Thailand?

I'm guessing that most of you guys are in your forties or fifties or sixties. How do you keep fit?

Personally, I play football; walk a lot; and go for the occasional jog.

I may start doing press-ups / push-ups again. I used to be able to do 100 per day. It's great exercise.

What slightly worries me is that men in my age group are the ones who may succumb to heart attacks. That's a scary thought.

So ........ what do you do to keep fit? And healthy. And in shape.

50 sit ups at an elevated angle every day plus 4-10 km run.

I am a member at a fitness centre. If I don't run there, I run with my dogs around a lake. Member of a tennis club. Play golf regularly. Lots of sex. In my 40's.

• Like 1

When my weight pushed 100 kilo I started out on my bike riding atleast 40k everyday . I felt good and slept good and got my weight down to 84k in a couple of months . Been building a house the last 4 months and needless to say the biking was the last on my list of things to do . Scared to get on the scale now , not sure I could even step up on it hahahah . Will get back to riding in the next couple of weeks ... Would also help if my wife did not eat every waking hour of the day . I dont know where she puts it unless she is feeding some poor family and not telling me ..... I see too many people here spend there entire life working to retire then just let themselves get in bad shape . I want to milk my retirement to the very last dime and smile all the way !

• Like 1

When we lived in Bangkok we spent hours everyday in the health club, weightlifting, aerobics and squash. Now that we live in the country my main exercise is the Mt. bike and walking the dogs but try to keep up with stretching, pushups and chin-ups. We also have a cross-trainer and some weights. I do miss the health club, sauna, Jacuzzi and cold plunge but I don’t miss Bangkok.

Its not difficult to stay healthy and fit in Thailand , but the problems with farangs is that they do not care about their own body and they eat and drink too much.

I bicycle every day , even when I do some shopping at Tesco I use my bicycle. And we have a gym in our condo so theres no excuse to do some excercises .

Thats more than enough for me, and as long as you eat healthy food and avoid too much beer and soft drinks with sugar , you can look at yourself in the mirror every day and be proud.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

Mid 40's with sedentary lifestyle, heavy smoker but pretty much teetotal

30 mins cardio and lifting meaningful weights with textbook form 3X a week

Walk everywhere including grocery shopping

Energetic on dancefloors in the clubs

Low carb eating habits

Looking lean and toned. I eel fantastic but know I have to quit the cigs again soon

I'm lazy and really hate exercise but through trial and error discovered skipping (jump rope). For some reason I like it when I hate jogging, and 30 minutes every morning is something I've been able to build up to and more importantly stick with for quite a few years now. It probably sounds weird but I skip naked in my spare bedroom on a foam mat for 30 minutes every morning, under the AC then shower straight afterwards. For me, having to go anywhere, or change clothes or pay for a gym membership are barriers that stop me from doing anything, skipping works.

Edited by aussiebebe

Easy, got a home gym and i workout a lot, I make my own food and take care of myself. I enjoy it and look better as in my 20ies.

Everything is possible as long as you wan't it if you don't want it enough you won't do it.

• Like 1

Golf

Swimming, when its nice and hot in the village pool!

Weights / Circuirt training

Mountain bike (ride to the train station, go a few stops then ride back over the mountains!)

lots of beer on days off to put all the kilos back on!!!

• Like 1

I'm lazy and really hate exercise but through trial and error discovered skipping (jump rope). For some reason I like it when I hate jogging, and 30 minutes every morning is something I've been able to build up to and more importantly stick with for quite a few years now. It probably sounds weird but I skip naked in my spare bedroom on a foam mat for 30 minutes every morning, under the AC then shower straight afterwards. For me, having to go anywhere, or change clothes or pay for a gym membership are barriers that stop me from doing anything, skipping works.

That is the whole point do something you can stick with and that is convinient then its easier to do even if it is not the most optimal thing in the world if you keep it up longer its always good.

Mental picture, BEGONE!

• Like 2

Once a week I go hiking with a 70 year old friend. I try to keep up when he starts at Huay Kaeow waterfalls in Chiang Mai and then climbs to the top of the 1100 meter mountain on old trails through the forest. It's about 9 km from the bottom to the top, and another 9 km back down. I'm 38 and he has to wait for me while I puff along behind. He carries a machete and clears out the bamboo that keeps infringing on the trails.

Located my personal space on the fifth floor, only use the bathroom on the ground floor.

And horizontal aerobic sessions at least five times a week, usually 50+ min each - but I admit I'm not doing most of the work.

And I recognize this is nothing to brag about here, just answering the question.

But
I have lost over 20kg over the past five years, not quite at my college
fighting weight yet though but I"ll keep working at it tongue.png

Once a week I go hiking with a 70 year old friend. I try to keep up when he starts at Huay Kaeow waterfalls in Chiang Mai and then climbs to the top of the 1100 meter mountain on old trails through the forest. It's about 9 km from the bottom to the top, and another 9 km back down. I'm 38 and he has to wait for me while I puff along behind. He carries a machete and clears out the bamboo that keeps infringing on the trails.

That really sounds like a fun way to keep your stamina up, and it also shows that you can keep fit at an older age (not you). After having seen various in shape older guys i thought it was done after 30-35 and i almost gave up. But last year made a great come back. I am in the best shape of my life now, and its fun to get the stares from people who havent seen you for a while.

I went fishing yesterday at a lake i had not visited for a while. That was fun friendly banter with the Thai locals that i knew there who all asked what was done and how i got in shape while patting at their own expanded bellies. Great fun and a good fishing lake caught a nice 40kg pla bug.

But stuff like this shows its never too late (might be harder), a while back someone posted in the health section or the too fat section a youtube clip of a guy who started bodybuilding at 90 with impressive results. (no not a monster but good results). His views were (and so are mine) we need to exercise our bodies and brain if we want to keep them in shape. But its hard and it will demand changes.

lovely to hear, i was afraid ian Forbes had passed on

lovely to hear, i was afraid ian Forbes had passed on

It would be a good description of Ian Forbes for sure

Edited by robblok

• 2 weeks later...

The most important thing about exercise is finding some thing that u enjoy. That way u will stick to it as it has to be life style not just something to do temporary out of guilt.

Try to structure the activity as well for real results.

Add in a few personal goals and u have the grounds for success and being proud.

Being older ( than 30 say ) injury is an issue so choosing a low impact sport is good. Control your intake too and see food as a fuel for the training and have a reward treat some times.

Personally I Mountain bike and light weight train with great results.

Good luck

• Like 1