Can I Save My Re-Entry Permit For Later Use, And When Does It Expire?

I obtained an multi-entry O-A visa (retirement) from my home country (US) in July of last year. I arrived in Thailand in November to activate the visa and stayed for about a month.

Before I left I purchased a re-entry permit (single) because I wasn't sure when I would be back to Thailand. It turns out I may come back in June for a short two week visit, so I don't need the permit, and I will get an extension to stay until June of 2014. My questions:

1. I read some of the prior posts and will make sure that I list my visa number on my arrival card. Is that enough to make sure the immigration agent at Swampy doesn't use my re-entry permit and notices I am still on my visa, or should I say something when I wall up to the booth to the effect of "please don't use my re-entry permit". Not sure how much they really go through the passport when you have two options.

2. Assuming I save it, when does it now expire? The expiration date on the re-entry permit is November 25, 2013, one year after I first used the visa. But since I have extended my permission to stay until June 2014, does that automatically extend the re-entry permit? I will be taking a second visit to Thailand later this year but it may not be before November 25th, and I prefer to not have to deal with getting another re-entry permit during my short stay in June.

Thanks for any advice.

No sure why you bought a re-entry permit when you have a multi-entry visa, but the re-entry permit will be finished November 25, 2013 if I understand your post correctly. Re-entry permits only keep the current permission to stay period valid.

Edited by beechguy

Your re-entry permit is only valid up until the date stamped on the re-entry permit in your passport.

I think it was a waste of money!

You have gained nothing, it has not extended or allowed you to re-enter under any subsequent extension of stay.

The reason I purchased a re-entry permit when I was there in December is to cover the period from the expiration of my visa (July, 2013) and the expiration of my permission to stay (November 25, 2013). I wasn't sure I would be back before July.

My understanding is that if I did not purchase the re-entry permit, and tried to come back in after the one year expiration of my visa (July), but during my permission to stay, my retirement visa/permssion to stay would no longer be good??

Please correct me if I am wrong about that

Thanks.

You were correct to get a re-entry, if you arrive back before the visa itself expires you'll get stamped for another 12 months but your re-entry permit will be toast.

You'll need get another re-entry to protect your new 1 year permission to stay.

Before you leave the immigration desk DO CHECK that the immigration chap has used your visa dates for your entry rather than the re-entry permit.