Yingluck Urges T A T To Attract More ' High-End Tourists' Into Thailand

webfact

... to keep the total number of tourists to an appropriate level in order to prevent deterioration of natural resources and overcrowding at Suvarnabhumi international airport.

less is more.
Any thing except improve the service at Swampy and put in first class run way strips and landing strips.
if thailand goes for quality tourism vs. mass tourism it can be only good for all sides involved.

All true. I wonder what they can make of walking street.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I travel with my family to Thailand and pitch up at a decent hotel and spend at a comfortable rate for me, then I'm looking at around Bt20,000 a day. Back in 2005 that would have cost me around £275 but today it costs me £465 or 70% more.

That is the problem Thailand has as a tourist destination.

One oilrig worker was worth fifty of these dregs of humanity that are being encouraged to come to Thailand, purely to boost the "number of arrivals" to these fair shores. Yingluck wants to have her cake and eat it, poor deluded woman.

Maybe there is a nice place in the world with a "vist country X tourist campaign" that targets bricklayers and other working class heroes.

why complain if thailand doesn't?

You think high end tourists want to go to Nana? Please don't apply for a job with TAT.

Not at all friend, but I was using the example of a justification of my view of where the "white" tourism of Thailand is heading vs. the "Yellow" face of tourism.

I go so that I can arrange meetings with my friend, we like to surprise her.. she does not get to know many Farang in a "normal" friendship type relationship :)

And no, I cannot work for TAT, only as an English Teacher, where I would be hounded and harassed by immigration as much as they had the energy to do so. I am only a lowly Rail Network Controller in my home country, eligible for a special skills green card in the USA, eligible to work in Canada, , Australia, Africa and Europe too. But Thailand will not have me, because I do not have a degree in engineering to undertake the training in the job I am qualified in and performing daily. But that is another matter.. :)

• Like 1

reading the post i think its safe to summarize it that the young, high educated, big money spending back packing white people at TV are not target of that tourist campaign even if their gf come from families with good - very good backgrounds.

Just to respond to your consistent personal attacks on me, which you attempt to viel as "cheap as a Shinawatra on the run" with teflon, my daily budget in Thailand is 10,000 THB per day. I usually stay for 30-40 days at a time, and take at least two trips per year. I make a point of buying from the Mom and Pop shops, and staying at there hotels too, because you are usually appreciated more than buying from 7 or staying at the Mariott..

I am spending approx. 300,000-400,000 per year in the Kingdom as a non-resident - I am not a back packer. But then again, I don't follow flags held by people of my own country, speaking my own language, ignorantly trapsing around like I own the place. I do speak Thai, and am learning to write in Thai. I visit the south, where there are no beer bars or back packer guest houses. I do this because I want to make a difference and learn about a culture which is fading away with every passing day.

• Like 1

"She also asked the TAT to introduce measures to ... keep the total number of
tourists to an appropriate level in order to prevent deterioration of
natural resources ..."

That is one of the most intelligent statements I have ever heard from a government official on the subject of tourism in Thailand, even more remarkable considering its source. Maybe she's not as dumb as I thought she was.

reading the post i think its safe to summarize it that the young, high educated, big money spending back packing white people at TV are not target of that tourist campaign even if their gf come from families with good - very good backgrounds.

Just to respond to your consistent personal attacks on me, which you attempt to viel as "cheap as a Shinawatra on the run" with teflon, my daily budget in Thailand is 10,000 THB per day. I usually stay for 30-40 days at a time, and take at least two trips per year. I make a point of buying from the Mom and Pop shops, and staying at there hotels too, because you are usually appreciated more than buying from 7 or staying at the Mariott..

I am spending approx. 300,000-400,000 per year in the Kingdom as a non-resident - I am not a back packer. But then again, I don't follow flags held by people of my own country, speaking my own language, ignorantly trapsing around like I own the place. I do speak Thai, and am learning to write in Thai. I visit the south, where there are no beer bars or back packer guest houses. I do this because I want to make a difference and learn about a culture which is fading away with every passing day.

what is your problem?

Thailands wants attract a certain type of tourist to stay 6 days instead of their usual 5. that is the topic about.

you are obviously not in that group of this kind of tourists, but that does not make you anyhow better, no matter what your race is or the race of other tourists you seems to despise based on their nationality.

Edited by ZhouZhou

This might be actually the first bit of thinking that she has done by herself... get more high end spenders... decrease the low end riff raft ... that will be good for all of the vendors... less people spending the money on the 'local Thai' experience, more spending money at places where the mafia S family has shares.... more evidence of how this group doesn't really give a flying 'f' about the masses.... until they need to use them as canon fodder for a couple of hundred baht each.

Not her idea. Her brother pushed TAT for the same thing when he was PM.

They do seem to be conflicting ambitions. Get the numbers up, keep the numbers down.

Comparisons with Europe are simply irrelevant. The allure of Thailand is its difference to Western culture.

As I keep saying to people, good weather + poverty + pretty girls = a vibrant prostitution industry. I don't see anything wrong with that as long as ALL the participants are willing and no one is being exploited. What I also say to people is that you can very easily avoid that side of Thailand and see a staggeringly beautiful place with genuinely nice people, great food and an intriguing culture and history. I recommended a flash hotel at Krabi to some friends who spent a week there with their kids. Hired long tail boats, went island hopping, wandering around and eating at nice little places at Ao Nang. They never saw a hooker or were scammed by anyone. They had a fantastic time and will speak highly of Thailand.

It's a great country.

That is one of the most condescending statements about tourists i have ever hear a PM of any country say. If she is going to say this it should said in private to the TAT executives. Thinking like a hi-so and speaking like a hi-so.

Like Father - Like daughter. Taksin Shinawatra, son of a small movie house manager who probably did not enjoy the HiSo label, was the first idiot who told TAT to go for "more upmarket tourists". Mind you, at that time he was pushing his "Prestige" card, which in true Shinawatran Hokum - died a horrible death from bankruptcy. He couldn't give them away.

Now, Prestige is back and daughter Yingluck is singing Daddy's Song - again.

Like father - Like Daughter???? What are you talking about? Yingluk is Taksin's sister. Also the Prestige card is a discount card for restaurants which has nothing to do with Taksin. It's the "Thailand Elite Card" that he started and now offered at 1.5 million baht, therefore for the Hi-so tourist or business man. you should really check your facts before you make comments.

Not sure this program is going well. Thailand seems to be flooded

with Chinese and Russians on budget tour packages, and then throw in

the Indians on top of that. Definitely would not make me want to

open a five star restaurant here.. :-)

Recently an official from Phuket's tourist authority pointed out that some hotels, resorts etc. were so totally dependant on Chinese tourists that if they ever dried up the places would go out of business. He added that other tourists both Thai and foreigners avoided locations swamped by Chinese as they were seen as loud, uncouth anti-social etc. and in his own quiet way was pointing out the pitfalls of being too dependent on a particular type of visitor. Being Thai though he did emphasise that the Chinese spent more than others

Thailand does attract high-end tourists... - but they stay at resorts which they don't leave until they fly out.

Regular people (other than the ones working in the resort), never meet them.

These people might use a taxi, but would probably be getting the resort to arrange a car, rather than deal with a taxi queue.

The problem for the tourism sector is - they go to the resort - and generally stay there. They might go diving, or out on a boat, but would probably arrange it, like their airport transfer, through the resort. It's why you pay so much at high end resorts, it's because you want them to take care of any hassles.

There's nothing really, except for spa treatments, to actually do here. Culturally, there's things like a trip to Wat Phra Khao or Wat Pho, but there's no museums, no theatre, not sure about Michelin-starred restaurants, but I haven't heard of any. etc,

There is nothing here to make high-end tourists stay for much longer than a short break. (There's only so many times you can get massages after all.)

Not sure this program is going well. Thailand seems to be flooded

with Chinese and Russians on budget tour packages, and then throw in

the Indians on top of that. Definitely would not make me want to

open a five star restaurant here.. :-)

Recently an official from Phuket's tourist authority pointed out that some hotels, resorts etc. were so totally dependant on Chinese tourists that if they ever dried up the places would go out of business. He added that other tourists both Thai and foreigners avoided locations swamped by Chinese as they were seen as loud, uncouth anti-social etc. and in his own quiet way was pointing out the pitfalls of being too dependent on a particular type of visitor. Being Thai though he did emphasise that the Chinese spent more than others
guess what he would say to the Chinese about the white foreigner.

that they are all handsome.

• Like 1

I notice the number of tourists from China increased 60% for 2012 from 2011.

But those I see are normally being herded around in large groups, through Tesco of all places.

This 'high end ' desire comes about every year and I guess is politicians showing their worth... but high enders probably don't want to be molested on Sukhumvit or ride a baht bus with pickpockets.

They do seem to be conflicting ambitions. Get the numbers up, keep the numbers down.

Comparisons with Europe are simply irrelevant. The allure of Thailand is its difference to Western culture.

As I keep saying to people, good weather + poverty + pretty girls = a vibrant prostitution industry. I don't see anything wrong with that as long as ALL the participants are willing and no one is being exploited. What I also say to people is that you can very easily avoid that side of Thailand and see a staggeringly beautiful place with genuinely nice people, great food and an intriguing culture and history. I recommended a flash hotel at Krabi to some friends who spent a week there with their kids. Hired long tail boats, went island hopping, wandering around and eating at nice little places at Ao Nang. They never saw a hooker or were scammed by anyone. They had a fantastic time and will speak highly of Thailand.

It's a great country.

SFBandung,

Great to read your post. I have been pondering on the announcement I wondered if as a result of decreased competitiveness within the ASEAN region, and the new joint Visa, Thailand is now experiencing a case of return visitors coming back, feeling disappointed with the higher prices (due to product inflation as a result of higher wages and other factors), and visiting other countries which are what some would coin "better priced" such as Laos, Cambodia, and Malaysia. I have also been getting quite a high volume of advertising for tourism in Burma the past few months, which is new. I wonder if as a result of the falling average days stay, but increased spending (due to higher prices being paid by both Thais and tourists over the past few years) when they do stay, Yingluck has attempted to turn figures which she has previewed into more of a positive thing, than having it appear a terrible loss. A decrease in tourist numbers, but those with more money to spend noticing the increases less, therefore more likely to stay than those more careful with their money. I wonder if this is an attempt to turn a confirmed negative into a potential positive at a time of potential political upheaval.

• Like 1

Next TAT could introduce an Thailand wide prepaid card for the tourist.

When an tourists is entering the country, they are required to purchase cards which 3000, 5000, 10000 and 25000 per each day of the visit. The cards are color coded. All the expenses are paid with these cards during the stay. No refunds given.

Immigration will have it's own lines for each of the spending groups. The Hi-So tourists can see the lower class visitors on their long queues. The same apply for taxi queues, in country flights etc. Local hotels and 7-11's can see how valuable their customers are, just by looking the cards people are using.

That should make people to spend lots of money while in Thailand as nobody wishes to be shown as a cheap charlie..

I surely hope this is sarcasism ;-)

• Like 1

I was once laughed at by a lawyer who proclaimed that my company was nuts for running their payment system the way they did, but that is the price of being squeaky clean. They should investigate tomorrow how to make it more attractive for companies to put their offices in Thailand and tax foreigners at 15% just like Singapore or Korea. At the moment, literally billions escapes the Thai taxman with people being paid offshore.

Once in for your million in income tax get the right to own a property on one rai of land, and the right of permenant residency. It's a s**t load more than the vast majority of Thai's pay into the system.

Well I paid over 2 million US in US Taxes and have 6 homes in my name in the US

What do you want me to think about such a small sum of 11 million baht and you are complaining.

Stop being so cheap

I was once laughed at by a lawyer who proclaimed that my company was nuts for running their payment system the way they did, but that is the price of being squeaky clean. They should investigate tomorrow how to make it more attractive for companies to put their offices in Thailand and tax foreigners at 15% just like Singapore or Korea. At the moment, literally billions escapes the Thai taxman with people being paid offshore.

Once in for your million in income tax get the right to own a property on one rai of land, and the right of permenant residency. It's a s**t load more than the vast majority of Thai's pay into the system.

What do you want me to think about such a small sum of 11 million baht and you are complaining.

Stop being so cheap

I really like these kinds of posts.

• Like 2

Stop being so cheap

Billions escape the tax man here -this starts at the very top and works downwards--In my opinion the loss to Thai revenue is more that the offshore payments

You need high end things to attract high end tourist. You lack everything.. Your city is an ugly dirty craphole and most tourist flee Bangkok within 48hrs of coming here to go some where more remote.

In my experience what you say about tourists looking to flee Bangkok asap is about right. Once they've been around the temples, been up the Chao Praya river, done their shopping and been done by a visiting the floating market they're just about ready to leave. Of course there are also those for whom 'one night in Bangkok' isn't nearly enough....! whistling.gif

That is one of the most condescending statements about tourists i have ever hear a PM of any country say. If she is going to say this it should said in private to the TAT executives. Thinking like a hi-so and speaking like a hi-so.

Except it is nearly word for word coming from the mouths of the last 5 or 10 PM's.

Some years back the previous long-time manager of the Oriental Hotel, Kurt Wachtveitl, now retired, a very influential HiSo farang in BKK in his own right, had declared very openly in the Thai media that if Thailand could get rid of the riff-raff (my word) tourists then it'd become a favored destination for high-end, big spender tourists.

Upper class tourists he said, don't like vacationing in a country where they have to rub shoulders with hoi polloi miser backpackers when they're out on the town or visiting tourist sites ...

He went so far as suggesting the Thai govt take measures to discourage those annoying lower social status people to come to LOS and pollute the upper-class tourist's environment.

Except it is nearly word for word coming from the mouths of the last 5 or 10 PM's.

That being the case my statement applies accordingly.

• Like 1