Setting Up A Private Tottent Tracker....

Para

Seeing as my last question was so well answered here's another I am currently looking into.

We all know as soon as you have to use the international gateways the bandwidth is throttled. many times I will pick a torrent and the download speed is crazy fast till i check the seeders and see its being provided by a Thai seed.

I have looked at a couple fo file sharing apps RetroShare and DC++ but they dont offer the benefits of being able to be seeded.

I know I need a tracker static IP, port forwarding and that was actually looking at the amazing Raspberry Pi as a tracker server (not bad 25gbp + case!) but need to know more about installing/configuring the tracker side. The Raspberry forum has a few posts on it but not a lot. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks

I am not sure what you will gain by having your own tracker,

unless you can get all the people to sign up and use it?

I post on another thai forum that has I guess 'different' focus than TV does. So was looking to set up a tracker and only allow board members access.

OP, if your problem is speed from non-Thai peers a far easier solution would be to simply rent a server in a decent European datacenter (i.e. one that a lot of other peers will be using like OVH or Leaseweb) and FTP your files back.

I'm in Thailand and my (properly configured) FTP client almost always maxes out my connection from my OVH server in France.

OP, if your problem is speed from non-Thai peers a far easier solution would be to simply rent a server in a decent European datacenter (i.e. one that a lot of other peers will be using like OVH or Leaseweb) and FTP your files back.

I'm in Thailand and my (properly configured) FTP client almost always maxes out my connection from my OVH server in France.

Interesting.

I have been given access to a dedicated managed server in the US that I can do what I like with. I (wrongly?) assumed I would run the tracker on this then seed it from Thai domestic clients. As I understand FTP I would have to host all the media on the server which could lead to copyright issues......

^I really wouldn't bother with running a tracker if speed is your only concern. Particularly not on a US server. Maintaining a tracker properly is a huge amount of work.

Put it this way, neither OVH nor Leaseweb care about what you do with your server (e.g. if you are running a torrent client on there) unless they receive abuse notices or DMCAs and the like.

Stick with one of those two providers, use private trackers, obviously keep your FTP secured and you won't go far wrong. OVH's Kimsufi range will give you greatest bang for your buck: http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/kimsufi.xml

Yes, easy enough to rent a seedbox then FTP.

There are also a lot of private trackers here in Thailand, and there are seedboxes here in Thailand as well. On my seedbox here I get 48 Mega-bits per second, as my service is capped at 6 Mega-Bytes per second down, uncapped upstream. Five torrents active downloading/25 torrents in total, 100 GB storage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a seedbox in Europe.

My ratios on several trackers are in the 20's

I ftp over 100Gb a month to my home PC

PM me if you want more details.

Sorry for taking so long to reply I have been trying to learn about seedboxes!

To be honest after having a chat with a friend what I hoped to achieve against pain and cost in doing it just doesn't weigh up.

Thank you for the kind offer.

Para