Leaving Thailand For Good

homeownership

Over the past 10 years the pace of developments has made Thailand a more developed country, parts of it we like as mentioned in previous posts, other parts we dont like, such as the increased costs of living. It has been made a point, that everywhere is experiencing the same phenomomen and that countries that used to have a low costs of living are getting expensive.

This isnt to say the issue is black and white and that we are willing to throw in the towel and leave for parts unknown, just because we dont get our own way on everthing, I think we can all agree that would be stupid, but we can certainly talk about what is the tipping point, what is the final straw for you.

Some posters have made it very clear they will stay regardless of what happens, that great it really is, they also need to appreciate the rest of us are not ammassing at the borders and airports, suitcases packed looking for any reason to leave.

I believe there is a big grey area and within this "tolerance zone" if you like theres a lot of wiggle room, but undoubely Thailand isnt the same place is was 10 years ago, where in the world is, but talk about it, what has changed for you.

For me, I have noticed when I used visit Pattaya, that I could go leave Bally High Peer and head for Koh Lan and stay on a beach there all day, come back at 6pm, eat a hearty meal and a bottle of wine and pay no more that 1000 THB, that was in 2007. I doubt I could do this today.

Now is this a reason for leaving Thailand for good, no of course not, but compound this with other factors and feedback from neirbouring countries would give me pause for thought.

There are pull factors that attract people to Thailand too, such as tourism, dentistry, plastic surgery, education, culture, royalty, heritage and of course sex tourism. Each has their place and while some people tell me they have had enough and wish to leave, they are seemingly taking their sweet time about it. The reason being is perhaps they are frustrated, they bought into a dream and the dream has evolved, not turned into a nightmare, but is different to what they had planned.

Other places neirbouring Thailand are far from perfect, but there is a growing number of people who just want Thailand to be how it was 30 years ago and these people may be inclined to try out other countries.

The Mods have given us (especially me) a lot of rope on this subject and I am grateful, one thing is blazingly clear, we do not all agree on leaving or staying in Thailand, and maybe this depends on the reason we came here in the first place.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neversure, I support your impending move to Mexico and I look forward to receiving regular updates on how your life pans out over there. Hell, I'd even drive you to the airport if it was within my power to do so - Bon Voyage !

Edit: can we hook homeownership up with a visa, too ? Thanks.

I have no intention of moving to Mexico. If I was going South, it would be Ecuador. It's just that Thailand is far more dangerous than Mexico if you stay out of the drug lord areas of Mexico. I posted the chart and the link.

As for your airport suggestion, I would drive so I could have my pickup. It's only perhaps 700 miles from me atm and all good freeway. You can hit it with a rock from San Diego, California.

A lot of N. Americans retire to Mexico and S. America because it is so close and Thailand is 30 hours en route.

Thailand is one of the most dangerous places in the world.

Just watched a story on CNN this morning about the "most dangerous cities in the world," and it reminded me of this thread. So I Googled and found this article: http://www.businessinsider.com/most-dangerous-cities-in-the-world-2012-10?op=1

Some excerpts:

"The 20 most violent cities were all in Latin America."

"Other dangerous cities were located in Africa. None of the top 50 were

in Europe and only one was in Asia, despite great unrest in those

regions."

Note: The "one in Asia" comment must be a typo because I looked over that list and didn't see one. The US cities that are on the list did not surprise me. Anyways, if any of you think that South America is somehow safer than Asia/Thailand...you're dreaming.

The average wage in Thailand is about 20,000 baht/month, and Thais live on that.

Who on Earth would want to live like that??? (beside the millions of Thais who are forced to live here on less, and weirdos, of course).

I rather live on 20,000 baht a month in Thailand than 60,000 a month back home. I have been a teacher here making 20,000 a month and if you are careful, you can still live pretty well.

Importantly, it is possible to live a life in Thailand on 20,000 Baht - I seriously doubt it is possible to do the same in the UK on double that.

Some people don't have the choices.

Frankly, I have far more admiration for those who eke out a rewarding lifestyle on 20/30k Baht per month than those who brag about how they can spend 200k.

Let the pissing competition commence.......

With regard to leaving Thailand, one should always keep options open and not feel trapped - or pushed out. A contingency plan for the next move should be in the locker somewhere.

Edited by cardholder

Neversure, I support your impending move to Mexico and I look forward to receiving regular updates on how your life pans out over there. Hell, I'd even drive you to the airport if it was within my power to do so - Bon Voyage !

Edit: can we hook homeownership up with a visa, too ? Thanks.

I have no intention of moving to Mexico. If I was going South, it would be Ecuador. It's just that Thailand is far more dangerous than Mexico if you stay out of the drug lord areas of Mexico. I posted the chart and the link.

As for your airport suggestion, I would drive so I could have my pickup. It's only perhaps 700 miles from me atm and all good freeway. You can hit it with a rock from San Diego, California.

A lot of N. Americans retire to Mexico and S. America because it is so close and Thailand is 30 hours en route.

Thailand is one of the most dangerous places in the world.

Just watched a story on CNN this morning about the "most dangerous cities in the world," and it reminded me of this thread. So I Googled and found this article: http://www.businessinsider.com/most-dangerous-cities-in-the-world-2012-10?op=1

Some excerpts:

"The 20 most violent cities were all in Latin America."

"Other dangerous cities were located in Africa. None of the top 50 were

in Europe and only one was in Asia, despite great unrest in those

regions."

Note: The "one in Asia" comment must be a typo because I looked over that list and didn't see one. The US cities that are on the list did not surprise me. Anyways, if any of you think that South America is somehow safer than Asia/Thailand...you're dreaming.

What the statistics don't show is that it's in pockets controlled by drug lords. Much of that murder is gang upon gang.

I live in the US and feel perfectly safe, but I'm not about to venture into inner city Baltimore or Detroit. (Or a lot of other big city ghettos.) I've spent a LOT of time in New Orleans because it's just really special in The French Quarter, the food is spectacular, and the swamp tours are amazing as are some of the original plantations and mansions. I don't feel in danger there because I don't go to the dangerous places. I've never seen, heard or suspected any danger in NO, but I know where it is.

As dangerous as some seem to think (you weren't surprised) the US is, there are more people killed on the relatively well managed roads in the US than are murdered.

There are one million American expats in Mexico, partly because it's so close to home. They are doing fine with the occasional hiccup that they could encounter in Thailand, especially on the roads, haha. smile.png

There are about 43 highway deaths per 100,000 capita in Thailand but of course that doesn't count in "danger." That's about 4 1/2 times the gun death rate in the US but people freak out about gun deaths. Link

I just can't believe how many scared-of-their-shadows people post on this board. They know damn well that Thailand's roads are among the most dangerous in the world, and that a lot of farangs run into serious bodily injury and death there too, and that the gun death rate is more than double the US, but they love to point the finger. "Safe" in Thailand, if you live by statistics? Hardly.

I never planned on living my life as a chicken shit. I just pay attention to my surroundings, and choose my immediate surroundings carefully. I've never been threatened. Ever.

I have mentioned Ecuador multiple times on this board, and it isn't on the list.

Edited by NeverSure

I live in the US and feel perfectly safe, but I'm not about to venture into inner city Baltimore or Detroit. (Or a lot of other big city ghettos.)

I don't feel in danger there because I don't go to the dangerous places. I've never seen, heard or suspected any danger in NO, but I know where it is.

I never planned on living my life as a chicken shit. I just pay attention to my surroundings, and choose my immediate surroundings carefully. I've never been threatened. Ever.

-

It's not that I'm a scaredy-cat, I just prefer to live in a place where I don't have to think about such issues, here in Thailand I feel safe walking around anywhere anytime.

It's not the most important factor in my decision to remain here, but it's pretty high on the list.

I avoid Pattaya and Phuket, and don't travel on Thailand's roads, and don't drink or do drugs or spend a lot of time in places where people do, and generally don't get into high-emotion conflicts with people.

I don't make these choices out of fear, but because I find they generally improve my overall quality of life. The fact that these choices reduce the risk of danger for me and my family is a nice side benefit.

neversure, the 'scared of their shadows' bit is wearing seriously thin - especially after you posted that graph (at least twice by my count) to show us all that there are more gun-related deaths in Thailand than Ecuador which, of course, is supposed to show us how much more dangerous the Thailand is than Ecuador. For all the 'road carnage' you allude to - and I dont deny that Thailand's roads are dangerous - how many Farang casualties do you personally know of ? Expecting us to believe that the roads in South America are somehow magically 'safe' boggles the mind when we both know that the road toll is an ongoing problem in almost every developed country on earth.

All of that is irrelevant when it comes to the fact that you dont seem to be willing to practise what you preach. If Ecuador is so magnificent, why havent you moved there years ago ?

neversure, the 'scared of their shadows' bit is wearing seriously thin - especially after you posted that graph (at least twice by my count) to show us all that there are more gun-related deaths in Thailand than Ecuador which, of course, is supposed to show us how much more dangerous the Thailand is than Ecuador. For all the 'road carnage' you allude to - and I dont deny that Thailand's roads are dangerous - how many Farang casualties do you personally know of ? Expecting us to believe that the roads in South America are somehow magically 'safe' boggles the mind when we both know that the road toll is an ongoing problem in almost every developed country on earth.

All of that is irrelevant when it comes to the fact that you dont seem to be willing to practise what you preach. If Ecuador is so magnificent, why havent you moved there years ago ?

Learn to xxx read.

I never said a thing about roads in S. America. I have shown how road deaths per 100,000 capita in Thailand are bigger than gun deaths in either the US or Thailand, but said nothing about Ecuador other than it wasn't on that list that was posted of 50 most dangerous places.

I earlier posted a graph and commented that gun deaths per 100,000 people in Thailand are more than double the number in the US, but that's off topic here, while true. I do laugh inside because comments about guns in the US are rampant on this forum, posted by people willing to drive Thailand's roads while subjecting themselves to 4.5 times the chance of being shot.

I do contend that there are a bunch of puzzies about who worry about the wrong things. They are forever pointing out gun murders, and ignoring the clear fact that highway deaths in the same place are double the gun murder rate. They freak out about the guns but drive like there's no tomorrow, not seeing the silliness of it all.

I have been in Cuenca Ecuador for a 2 month stay. It it truly beautiful with temperate weather, and nice people. Cost of living is less, people are nice and the language is far easier to learn. Visa's are much easier with no age limitation. My problem with it is I prefer the cute, thin, high waisted Thai ladies. Period.

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 1

I have been in Cuenca Ecuador for a 2 month stay. It it truly beautiful with temperate weather, and nice people. Cost of living is less, people are nice and the language is far easier to learn. Visa's are much easier with no age limitation. My problem with it is I prefer the cute, thin, high waisted Thai ladies. Period.

You could always take one with you ??...........

Edited by metisdead
: 30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

I've been in Chiang Mai for 8 months and last week purchased a one way ticket out of here. Will leave at the end of May. I've come to realize that it will take me years to become proficient in reading and speaking Thai language and I find the air pollution to be unacceptable. Will be heading to Mexico, where I get six months in country on arrival, an easy retirement visa, and I can purchase a home without putting it in the name of a national ( except in zones, mostly on the coast ).

Found the cost of living here to be quite reasonable, loved the food, the women, the Buddhist culture and could easily see myself coming back if Mexico doesn't work out.

It took you 8 months to realize that? lol

Not sure what parts of the thread you're referring to, my interpretation scanning the past few pages of this one seems to show a consensus that people are far more in favor of advocating staying than leaving.

Not sure what parts of the thread I'm referring to ? How about neversure and his 'move to South America - it rocks !' buddies ? How about people recommending countries where kidnapping&ransom are considered valid career choices ? Give me a freaking break - you are reading what you want to read.

Everybody has a reason for staying or leaving. Are you saying we should just hear the ones who wants to stay and think this is a paradise on earth or do you think everybody has a right to express their opinions?

I'd be considerably more interested in said opinions if they were actually being dispensed from Colombia / Brazil / Ecuador - its the equivalent of me telling TVers they should go and live in Malaysia or Indonesia when my only experience of those countries is as a part-timer. Telling people that Colombia is now 'safe' takes the cake - it's the equivalent of me telling people that nothing bad has ever happened to me in Jakarta, therefore I don't expect anything bad will happen to them. There are opinions and there is life experience - I'll go with the folks who have actually lived in a given location for at least a year before telling us what a paradise it is. We expect no less of someone reporting from Nakhon Nowhere, but suddenly its possible to be an expert on South America without living there ?

Then I take it that you know each and everyone here, because, although I share information sometimes, I certainly do not reveal everything about myself. So who is telling the truth and how do you know if the people in question haven´t been there?

There are a lot of self-certified experts here and I´m not talking about Thailand only.

Brazil is one of the most dangerous places on Earth, yet there are westerners that live there and love it. One man's hell, another man´s home.

Over the past 10 years the pace of developments has made Thailand a more developed country, parts of it we like as mentioned in previous posts, other parts we dont like, such as the increased costs of living. It has been made a point, that everywhere is experiencing the same phenomomen and that countries that used to have a low costs of living are getting expensive.

This isnt to say the issue is black and white and that we are willing to throw in the towel and leave for parts unknown, just because we dont get our own way on everthing, I think we can all agree that would be stupid, but we can certainly talk about what is the tipping point, what is the final straw for you.

Some posters have made it very clear they will stay regardless of what happens, that great it really is, they also need to appreciate the rest of us are not ammassing at the borders and airports, suitcases packed looking for any reason to leave.

I believe there is a big grey area and within this "tolerance zone" if you like theres a lot of wiggle room, but undoubely Thailand isnt the same place is was 10 years ago, where in the world is, but talk about it, what has changed for you.

For me, I have noticed when I used visit Pattaya, that I could go leave Bally High Peer and head for Koh Lan and stay on a beach there all day, come back at 6pm, eat a hearty meal and a bottle of wine and pay no more that 1000 THB, that was in 2007. I doubt I could do this today.

Now is this a reason for leaving Thailand for good, no of course not, but compound this with other factors and feedback from neirbouring countries would give me pause for thought.

There are pull factors that attract people to Thailand too, such as tourism, dentistry, plastic surgery, education, culture, royalty, heritage and of course sex tourism. Each has their place and while some people tell me they have had enough and wish to leave, they are seemingly taking their sweet time about it. The reason being is perhaps they are frustrated, they bought into a dream and the dream has evolved, not turned into a nightmare, but is different to what they had planned.

Other places neirbouring Thailand are far from perfect, but there is a growing number of people who just want Thailand to be how it was 30 years ago and these people may be inclined to try out other countries.

The Mods have given us (especially me) a lot of rope on this subject and I am grateful, one thing is blazingly clear, we do not all agree on leaving or staying in Thailand, and maybe this depends on the reason we came here in the first place.

The people who want Thailand to be "how it was 30 years ago" and move to Cambodia will quickly come to regret that decision when they need to find quality medical care (which they will need to, considering how old their memory puts them...)

The people who want Thailand to be "how it was 30 years ago" and move to Cambodia will quickly come to regret that decision when they need to find quality medical care (which they will need to, considering how old their memory puts them...)

You are right. I was there for a while and didn't need anything. For non-emergencies, guys would go over the border (legally) and get help in Ubon or even Bangkok if they flew in. A lot of guys in Cambodia make trips to Pattaya anyway, and get something done while there.

You are right. I was there for a while and didn't need anything. For non-emergencies, guys would go over the border (legally) and get help in Ubon or even Bangkok if they flew in. A lot of guys in Cambodia make trips to Pattaya anyway, and get something done while there.

-

And pretty common for expats there to have health insurance that includes emergency evacuation when needed, or travel costs for routine stuff.

Friend of mine had a growth removed, took five trips altogether to Singapore, all airfares and hotels covered as part of his package.

People living out in the sticks even within Thailand have the same risk but usually don't plan for it.

it is not that difficult to follow in the steps of the Cambodians, and go to Bangkok or HCMC.

One more time. I was happy to leave Cambodia. There are some things I like such as no work permit needed and easy visa. For some, the no age limit visa, and college not required to teach English at a lot of schools (one of the certifications increases pay though and should be had) makes getting in and staying easier.

But I was very happy to leave. There isn't the building boom and rent on anything decent is higher, offset by lower costs on imported items, and the bars, alcohol, smokes, clothes, sundries etc. Food sucks compared to LOS imho.

The place is just not Thailand, but it isn't all bad. I think the locals actually like Barangs better than in LOS.

To each his own, but I won't be living there.

• Like 1

It's not just the cost of living it's the cost of women. These days 40k a month just doesn't cut it. They want big money guys. The women in a poorer country should, in theory, stick around longer. Unfortunately, in Thailand they won't stick around very long with 40k a month(hell, even 65k isn't even enough). The times they are a changing..

Hang on a sec!!

Aren't you the more-or-less-retired-at-28-internet-guru looking for a broom-cupboard in Pattaya for THB2,000 a month?

Would that be so you can scrape your way to the minimum 40k monthly stipend?

I sincerely doubt that anything you have to say about the cost of supporting that type of woman carries any weight at all.

It's not just the cost of living it's the cost of women. These days 40k a month just doesn't cut it. They want big money guys. The women in a poorer country should, in theory, stick around longer. Unfortunately, in Thailand they won't stick around very long with 40k a month(hell, even 65k isn't even enough). The times they are a changing..

-

Being a dick drives up the price even more than being old, fat and/or ugly.

And of course start out by looking in the right places, avoiding the hard-core P4P types is certainly a start.

After a good deal of soul searching, I decided that it was time to weigh up the pros and cons of living here in Thailand or returning to Europe. For me it would be best to live here, for my wife and children however returning to Europe won hands down. So sadly we will be leaving next month and my children will start a new English school this September. We will then take holidays here and enjoy our selves for a few weeks every year, comfortable in the knowledge that our children will have a good education and the family will receive excellent health care even if I drop dead. Top priority for me, the children.

I have been living in Thailand for about eight years now and I can understand what the OP is talking about. Not only has it become more expensive living in Bangkok I have also seen a growing trend toward adopting the Singaporean culture/attitudes, perhaps fueled by the onslaught of Chinese-Thais business owners developing at a feverish pace since recovering from the financial crisis in 1997 (i.e. number of condos, massive malls, etc.)

I think what made most of us come to Thailand many years ago was how different the country was from the rest of the Western world. While this still applies for most of rural Thailand, I don't think it applies anymore for Bangkok (where my job has been from the very beginning), which leaves me feeling like I am still in any major Western city. In my opinion, the local "old school" charm that made Bangkok so amazing to visit and live in has completely evaporated.

After almost a decade of living here I still believe Thailand is one of the greatest places in the world to spend a holiday. To live in, however, is not so ideal for my own personal needs and goals in life. - "to each his own" as they say. We all require and like different things in our own respective lives and for anyone to dictate what another person should do is a giant baboon ass! I am only stating my own experiences and views - and for those snippy commentators, yes, I am actually leaving the "Land of Smiles." But I leave with amazing memories that 99.9999% of people from my country will never have an opportunity to experience.

• Like 1

The average wage in Thailand is about 20,000 baht/month, and Thais live on that.

Who on Earth would want to live like that??? (beside the millions of Thais who are forced to live here on less, and weirdos, of course).

I rather live on 20,000 baht a month in Thailand than 60,000 a month back home. I have been a teacher here making 20,000 a month and if you are careful, you can still live pretty well.

Importantly, it is possible to live a life in Thailand on 20,000 Baht - I seriously doubt it is possible to do the same in the UK on double that.

Some people don't have the choices.

Frankly, I have far more admiration for those who eke out a rewarding lifestyle on 20/30k Baht per month than those who brag about how they can spend 200k.

Let the pissing competition commence.......

With regard to leaving Thailand, one should always keep options open and not feel trapped - or pushed out. A contingency plan for the next move should be in the locker somewhere.

Home is where the heart is. I am at present in my UK homeland soon to fly off to my homely pad in Bangkok via my holiday home in the south of France my choice. well, Gotta trot things to do and bills to pay don't want to become homeless, plus dying for a piss..... Good luck all.

After a good deal of soul searching, I decided that it was time to weigh up the pros and cons of living here in Thailand or returning to Europe. For me it would be best to live here, for my wife and children however returning to Europe won hands down. So sadly we will be leaving next month and my children will start a new English school this September. We will then take holidays here and enjoy our selves for a few weeks every year, comfortable in the knowledge that our children will have a good education and the family will receive excellent health care even if I drop dead. Top priority for me, the children.

Sir, I salute you - instead of just banging on about how great it would be to leave, you are actually doing something about it. I wish you every success.

For me it depends on your definition of "living" here.

I treat living here the same as I did when I lived in Ireland. I go to work, raise a family, look after my garden, go for a soda now and then, pay the bills, watch the evening news. I know sounds boring but that is my definition of "living" here. I have not only jumped in with both feet but have bought the burial plot as well.

Do you live here like you were living in your own home or do you live here like it was a guest house? Ask Mr and Mrs John & Jane Doe in the UK or USA if they would just pack it all in and go live in Italy or Canada because it was less expensive or because the UK or USA was not what it was 10 years ago. I think the answer would be NO.

I moved around a lot of places in the last 30 years never feared just packing up and moving on. That was always part of the fun. But for me Thailand has been one of the few places that feels comfortable. With all it's faults it still has many more positives then negatives for me. But I live in a "rural" area where I feel tolerated. Which to be honest is better than what I felt in some places in the West (especially Canada).

maxme, for some reason I am unable to quote your post, but the gist of it seemed to be 'how do you know other BMs havent been to the countries they are recommending as alternatives to Thailand'. That was never my assertion - what I said was I dont believe that any of them have lived in said country for 12 months or more. I've lived in BKK for 3 months at a time over the years (and Pattaya for similar stints), but I doubt that any of the longtime expats here would be willing to accept that such short stays make me an authority on the city or it's people - particularly when I spend the vast majority of my time in Farang ghettoes, speak little Thai and neither ride nor drive in the city. In short, I'm a tourist.

The best advice given in ANY of these interminable 'where to next' threads is 'get on a plane and check the place out for yourself'. No biggie for someone living in North America - considerably more so for those of us who would have to fly halfway around the world to land in a country like Brazil. Still, I would like to see Argentina one day, so who knows where that might lead - I just know that I wont be relying on advice from anyone whose memories of the country revolve around the view from their hotel balcony. ;)

maxme, for some reason I am unable to quote your post, but the gist of it seemed to be 'how do you know other BMs havent been to the countries they are recommending as alternatives to Thailand'. That was never my assertion - what I said was I dont believe that any of them have lived in said country for 12 months or more. I've lived in BKK for 3 months at a time over the years (and Pattaya for similar stints), but I doubt that any of the longtime expats here would be willing to accept that such short stays make me an authority on the city or it's people - particularly when I spend the vast majority of my time in Farang ghettoes, speak little Thai and neither ride nor drive in the city. In short, I'm a tourist.

The best advice given in ANY of these interminable 'where to next' threads is 'get on a plane and check the place out for yourself'. No biggie for someone living in North America - considerably more so for those of us who would have to fly halfway around the world to land in a country like Brazil. Still, I would like to see Argentina one day, so who knows where that might lead - I just know that I wont be relying on advice from anyone whose memories of the country revolve around the view from their hotel balcony. wink.png

I do get what you mean. Myself would never take advice from people who are merely visiting or staying short periods of time in the country. There was a debate about that on another thread.

Yet there are some who live here permanently and still I wouldn't take any of their advice.

I've been living in the NE, S and now Bangkok which I happen to have lived in before. Even though I have more experience than some of my fellow westerners I happen to know here, the opinion varies and their experiences have formed an opinion that I do not share but I guess that's because they have lived a different life than I have and so they see life and Thailand from a different perspective.

Now even though I do not agree with them sometimes, doesn't mean I don't value their opinions, it just sheds some new light on the matter, so to speak.

Well, Brazil is still on my list despite my reasons for NOT going there, yet it's time put up or shut up. :)

Good luck man, and I hope everything works out for ya!!!

Sir, I salute you - instead of just banging on about how great it would be to leave, you are actually doing something about it. I wish you every success.

please keep in touch , love to hear from you .good luck , which i doubt you will need .