Leaving Thailand For Good

homeownership

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought your up in Chiang mai? Not many Russians there. Also you said you have plenty of cash, remember?

Anyhow, bye!

Doing deals with computer gazillionaires in London who have a concience in his spare time.

If anyone thinks that Cambodia is cheaper, he's dreaming. Yes, some things are cheaper but in Chiang Mai or Pattaya the cost of housing and food is so danged cheap that it will balance out anything else in Cambodia. I mean of course rent for something close to Western for those on a budget. The food will be far better and cheaper in Thailand.

Alcohol of all types, cigarettes and bar girls cost less in Cambodia. Clothes cost less. That's almost all I can think of. There hasn't been the boom in building housing and the crap I looked at for US$300 per month (10,000 baht m/l) was so bad I was immediately looking at units that were $600 before I'd lay my head down in the place. $750 before I wouldn't get totally depressed.

Health care sucks in Cambodia. Be prepared to pay big bucks for an air ambulance flight to Bangkok.

The only thing I know that's better for some is the easy walk-in $300 m/l annual visa with no money or age requirements or red tape.

I'll agree with all of the above, from experience.

For those who spend a very large proportion of their money on young playmates, that one aspect could certainly make up the difference on the rest, but you really can't compare the food, very nice selection of international restaurants ($$$) but not much in the way of cheap local food, I only found a half-dozen dishes I could stomach and got tired of it quickly.

Very limited shopping and hardly any western-oriented entertainment - they might have opened one cinema by now with English in PP?

And it's generally dirtier and potentially more dangerous.

As someone below 50, i start off with a surplus of 30-40k baht per year from visa cost,

add to that the splendid Ancher beer is even cheaper than Leo,

and i will probably be at least even, tho OTOH the sweet taste of Ancher no doubt will beef up consumption

My neighbors are just that -- they are there whether I like them or not and the ones I didn't like thankfully have moved on. As I said, if I had a great need for birds of a feather, I wouldn't be in Thailand. I started working as mentioned above in Asia 25 years ago, speak and read several Asian languages besides Thai although none to a full fluency level, and I would say that most, but certainly not all, of the persons who complain about Thailand do not speak Thai and are thus disenfranchised from the majority of the Thai population

... and the biggest problem I see among the expat population in Thailand is plain old-fashioned boredom.

I am not criticising your way of life, as what you are saying substantiates my comments. This is the way it is, a fact is a fact.

I do agree with you regarding the boredom. It is easy here in Thailand that after leaving behind interests, friends, families and colleges back in the home countries, to fall into isolation and the days can become tedious, especially considering that social is now one of the most priciest activities in Thailand and for many has become an occasional luxury rather than a type of lifestyle expats can enjoy on a regular basis.

Those who are considering moving here should take all these factors into account, and not to believe in all the Western perspectives of Thailand as literal. The reality is that there will be no people of your own nationalities welcoming you to the fold, no beautiful young Thai princesses lusting after you for your looks, charisma and charm and it`s becoming more expensive to live here month by month, plus adding the increasing tightening up of Immigration laws of what we can do and what we can’t do here.

If there are other South East Asian countries that appear to have more promising prospects for the types of lifestyles that some expats would prefer to lead, than it is definitely a good idea to do some research before making the big plunge what could end up as the biggest mistake of your lives.

If there are other South East Asian countries that appear to have more promising prospects for the types of lifestyles that some expats would prefer to lead, than it is definitely a good idea to do some research before making the big plunge what could end up as the biggest mistake of your lives.

-

Agree in full, but would like to point out that "mistakes" aren't a problem until you've dug yourself in so deep that it's a major deal to move on. Keep your life to what fits in two checked and one carry-on and you can up and go anytime you like no worries.

Changing partners and living locations every couple of years definitely helps keep things light and easy. . .

I had to delete a few posts.

- Nobody is forcing anyone to read the topic. If you don't like it, go away.

- Topics repeat all the time here. New members have as much right to discuss these topics as long term ones did in years past. It's a forum, not a search engine. It runs on conversations.

- Calling people trolls will get your posting rights removed.

• Like 1

OK then BJ. I'll just say as I said in another topic not too long ago: I don't drink, I don't smoke, and I know nothing about footie, so that rules out 90% or so of what's considered 'social' among the foreign population at least in the hinterlands of Isaan.

But if you make it up this way, I'll buy you a beer while I drink a soda with lime.

I find it hard enough to find people I'm willing to spend time with among my own kind socially back in large cities in farangland.

Don't at all expect it here, much more interesting to get to know people radically different from me.

OK then BJ. I'll just say as I said in another topic not too long ago: I don't drink, I don't smoke, and I know nothing about footie, so that rules out 90% or so of what's considered 'social' among the foreign population at least in the hinterlands of Isaan.

But if you make it up this way, I'll buy you a beer while I drink a soda with lime.

You`re on.

Have you considered Somalia?

I only ask because if you need to move down the developed nation ladder to find a place in enough of a mess for you to make ends meet, you should consider going straight to the bottom.

Afterall, Burma/Cambodia will eventually develop out of you price brscket.

• Like 1

I only ask because if you need to move down the developed nation ladder to find a place in enough of a mess for you to make ends meet, you should consider going straight to the bottom.

-

That's why I want to get in early on the action in North Korea, with the right connections and a few armed guards you could probably do quite well with a few truckloads of rice out in the countryside. . .

-

That's why I want to get in early on the action in North Korea, with the right connections and a few armed guards you could probably do quite well with a few truckloads of rice out in the countryside. . .

North Korea is definitely the place to go for the disillusioned Thai expat. There's gotta be tons of starving North Korean babes willing to put out for a bowl of rice and a warm blanket. The only problem I can see is that said farangs won't be able to post much on ThaiVisa or like sites as North Korea has something like 5 authorized websites, all run by the state. So that takes out their number one hobby--whining/whinging about the locals!

• Like 1

I've been in Chiang Mai for 8 months and last week purchased a one way ticket out of here. Will leave at the end of May. I've come to realize that it will take me years to become proficient in reading and speaking Thai language and I find the air pollution to be unacceptable. Will be heading to Mexico, where I get six months in country on arrival, an easy retirement visa, and I can purchase a home without putting it in the name of a national ( except in zones, mostly on the coast ).

Found the cost of living here to be quite reasonable, loved the food, the women, the Buddhist culture and could easily see myself coming back if Mexico doesn't work out.

-

The safest areas of Mexico at noon are more dangerous than the worst slums of Thailand at 3am.

Wouldn't be that much of an issue for me if I were single, but with young kids, forget it.

But best of luck with the senoritas!

I've been in Chiang Mai for 8 months and last week purchased a one way ticket out of here. Will leave at the end of May. I've come to realize that it will take me years to become proficient in reading and speaking Thai language and I find the air pollution to be unacceptable. Will be heading to Mexico, where I get six months in country on arrival, an easy retirement visa, and I can purchase a home without putting it in the name of a national ( except in zones, mostly on the coast ).

Found the cost of living here to be quite reasonable, loved the food, the women, the Buddhist culture and could easily see myself coming back if Mexico doesn't work out.

Mexico is definitely the place to be. The only downside I can see living over there is getting murdered by drug gangs. Other than that, paradise on Earth!

North Korea is definitely the place to go for the disillusioned Thai expat. There's gotta be tons of starving North Korean babes willing to put out for a bowl of rice and a warm blanket. The only problem I can see is that said farangs won't be able to post much on ThaiVisa or like sites as North Korea has something like 5 authorized websites, all run by the state. So that takes out their number one hobby--whining/whinging about the locals!

-

Fair point that, if the proxies don't work then perhaps better to be just over the border, there's a pretty regular underground railway set up now, can pick 'em up on their way out save them the trouble of walking all the way to Thailand.

the problem with Thailand is that there are to many Farangs trying to impose the laws of there respective countrys

of course prices are rising like every other country .things never stay the same. the only thing that bugs me is this smog.

I only wish someone with the power to do so will resolve it. Thailand is a beautiful country, as also most of the people

For a young wealthy internet super entrepeneur you have some very poor friends ??:rolleyes:

Try for a change to start a topic with something positive to say about Thailand!

Good luck in Cambo, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

So let me get this right, in other words your saying "Dont say anything unless its positive".

Dont comment on anything negative about Thailand, dont try to improve the place I call home, dont for that matter even bother to raise an opinion. Is that right ???

Homeownership (an oxymoron in Thailand BTW!),meet the 'Hang 'em Highers'!

Cheap living, Thailand getting too expensive? From my 7y coming to Thailand, I can't agree with that. Thai food, rental cost (outside major tourist hubs), clothes from Thai markets etc. are still pretty much the same price and the only thing that makes it more expensive is the exchange rate.

Your British expats moaning about the Russians? Yeah, I can see that when the live in Pattaya / Phuket and are bother by non-English speaking people who come to the same pub where they sit from early morning to late evening complaining over their beers and that the beer price did go up...

Cambodia, Laos and Burma being more stable? Yeah...

As opposed to arguing over what should be your first language,how much of the stolen Nazi gold should be handed back and why Robinson's doesn't stock any decent Fondue sets?

You see how stupid stereotyping sounds now?

• Like 1

Then you know if you goto places like Cambodia or Burma, you'll be constantly hearing people complain that they can't get a proper English breakfast, or there's no good pizza shops in town, or it takes the utility company too long to turn the electric back on after a storm, or people don't speak enough English, and so on...

There's just no winning with some people.

Have you ever been to Cambodia ?

Siem Reap offers a choice, and quality, of cuisine (plus a service level, backed by good English language skills) that Thailand couldn't wave a stick at.

Have to agree,I was in Phnom Penh a couple of weeks ago and the food was awesome,service levels amazing,English spoken very well everywhere,Khmer locals friendliness off the scale and decent Anchor Pilsen beer for USD $1 a glass!blink.png

Haven't been for a couple of years now but every time I do it's come on in leaps and bounds,everyone has traded their Lexuses (Lexi?) in for Range Rovers these days!

Oh and the girls don't all look like ironing boards,quite the opposite actually,for me the most beautiful anywhere in South-East Asia!

• Like 2

Left Thailand last year to move to Saudi Arabia and I have been surprised by how little I actually miss the place . Went back in October for a couple of weeks to see my family and then again in December for two nights to go and get them as their Saudi visas had come through . We still have a house and land there so that is not going anywhere .

I think Thailand is a nice country ( I lived there for about 12 years ) but at this stage in my life I feel that for the sake of my career and potential earnings I should be elsewhere . I'm now earning 3 times what I earned in Thailand with a lot more freetime and less outgoings too . This will give me the chance to save enough so that when we do eventually go back for good I will be able to have a nice life . If I could get decent money in Thailand I would live there but I can't so you have to be realistic .

I think it's good if you are in your 20s with no responsibilities or retired . Anything in between , then use it as a holiday destination unless you're loaded . I just didn't want to waste the good years of my life there stagnating and in my opinion wasting time .

Obviously Saudi Arabia wouldn't be everyone's 1st choice but so far so good .

I meant what I said . I don't miss Thailand at all really . Sometimes you have to take yourself out of the pond to see the bigger picture . It's a big world out there . We did trips to Cambodia , Laos and Burma many times . Nice places - for a holiday . Cambodia and Burma are to backward and 3rd world and Laos is too quiet .

If we go on holiday now ( and I get great holidays here too ) we now have a whole new bunch of places to go to like Egypt , Jordan , Oman , Lebanon , Ethiopia etc .

For anyone thinking of leaving , I say do it . I have no regrets .

• Like 1

Thailand is a beautiful country, its people are welcoming and its culture is second to none. Perhaps I have painted a dark picture in my post reading through them, but I wanted to see if other have had the same thoughts and concerns as those like myself and friends have talked about, namely the change that is occuring in our home over the last 10 years or so.

Lets look at one of the main changes. in 2004, the Thai Baht was around 60-70 THB to the GBP (Pound), today its closer to 40-45 THB to the pound. This means as a Brit, you will get less for your money, therefore things to me are more expensive. (REGARDLESS TO WHETHER I CAN AFFORD IT OR NOT), I hesten to add.

Next is the rise in developments, a new train line from BKK airport to Praya Thai Station in Bangkok is undoubtly an improvemnet, in one of my visits I made it from the airplane doors to the hotel door (Formerly Siam City Hotel), in just 30 minutes, clearing customs in record time. Thats an improvement. Look at the developments in the roads around Chiang Mai, thanks in part to the former Thaksin Regime as he is a Chiang Mai man. (I have met him in person, seemed nice).

Again I think these developments are an improvement.

At night time, sitting in a loft apartment on Sukhumvitk Road it looks like the opening scene of Blade Runner, so advanced, so futuristic and so very different from 10 years ago.

Looking at islands like Koh Chang which are virtually unrecognisable from 10 - 15 years ago, again major changes.

The advancement of the Thai People is unstoppable or at least it seems to me to be unstoppable, but does all this development while great for transport and moving around do something else.

This "something else", is why I opened this topic, it wasnt to slate off Thailand, its my home (spirtual) at least, when I am there. One of the main reasons why I move to Thailand was for self reliance, cheap living, anonimity, the simple way of life all of which is being slowly erroded by this fast paced gold plated debt reliant development. I just hope it doesnt blow up in their faces like in the west.

Yes the world is a big place and I want to see as much of it as I can, no getting away from that desire but when I return, this place changes in a blink of an eye.

I was seeking to get your points of view on what has changed in Thailand for you in the past 10 years good or bad and is the bad enough to make you think about leaving or is it a "flash in the pan".

I hope I have clarified by opening post a little better, I certainly wish to thank everyone who "got" where I was coming from.

Edited by homeownership
  • Like 2

... or an alternative would be to ask on other forums to ex-pats who have moved there after living in Thailand and discover the benefits of same.

Asking us here is either appealing to man who finds it difficult to 'up stumps' or people like me who particularly like their lot in Thailand.

Neither answer would be particularly helpful to you.

Interesting you like your lot in Thailand,I was under the impression you lived in Oz.

the problem with Thailand is that there are to many Farangs trying to impose the laws of there respective countrys

of course prices are rising like every other country .things never stay the same. the only thing that bugs me is this smog.

I only wish someone with the power to do so will resolve it. Thailand is a beautiful country, as also most of the people

The only way to enforce LA-style smog laws would be to start with LA-style money ;)

If you think Bangkok is bad, you need to spend a week in Jakarta - that's a city where the people responsible for the infrastructure have simply thrown their arms in the air and left the city to it's own devices. Beijing, Shanghai and several other Chinese cities also have massive problems in this area : difficult to imagine how these cities can continue to absorb exponential growth rates. BKK, IMO, is on the brink of becoming an unsustainable city - Jakarta has been there for at least 10 years. The upside for those looking to relocate to Cambo is that the traffic is a fraction of BKK's - the downside is that many drive/ride as though it's their last day on earth, and the roads (even in PP) are a joke.