Investing In Thailand In A Luxury Villa Resort

as mentioned previously me and my wife are building a villa in Trang (attached image just to show general plans)

525146_10200500852821218_2000619926_n.jp

Any way over the last week i have looked at properties in Phuket for invetment reasons, as i have money tied up which i will release as soon as i am back in the uk shortly, one such property was a Kata Rocks Sky Villa,

Ive seen many advertisements for them and to be honest they are very beautiful, the one thing i can not understand from the discussion i had in their sales office is apparantly they are opening a luxury vills resort in Kata Phuket, i am unsure whether this is on the same area or another, and forgot to ask at the time.

does any one know here?

further more what are your thoughts on investing in a place like this - their prices are very high, however the work and view is un-matchable, so is it likely to go up say after 15 years? when i would want to cash in so to speak?

look forward to replies as if a normal condo/villa the price would be substantially cheaper but movement would only be 500-1 million over 5 years going on what ive read out here.

Edited by cdnvic
Removed URL

So in addition to your self-built villa in Trang you're also talking about sinking millions into a developer project?

Unless you're very very wealthy I'd see this as putting too many eggs in the one basket, and advise a more diverse spread investing in other jurisdictions/currencies and asset classes.

Something that actually generates positive net income quickly rather than relying so much on appreciation would also be better from my POV.

• Like 2

Have you seen all the second hand villas up for sale? This is not the UK, easy to buy but very hard to sell, can take years literally. I nearly bought a property on a new development in Phuket. But changed my mind stopped the payments and walked away. The property is still up for sale, 4 years later!

Hope your rich enough to afford to lose on your investment?

Sorry if that's negative, but IMO better to keep your money In the UK.

Wouldn't be first to be taken for a ride , I was speaking to a ferang yesterday who built a small resort last year she told me she paid 1 million bht to have the well dug to supply water I think she thought it was a reasonable price aswell,she seemed happy enough so I said nothing you can't tell some people.

P.s op houses in Thailand are great to build to live in but for investment well very few make from it would imagine returns would be better and more secure in your home country

Edited by taninthai

Build cost seems expensive, regardless of how well built or nice a property looks, if its in this range location will count for everything, so unlss you have unobstructed seaviews dont bother, it will just be another pig in a poke, and a very expensive one at that.

my dogs had a look at the floor plan and they are still rolling on the floor with laughter.

i told them that their behaviour is very unfair and impolite while pouring a big vodka to overcome my horror w00t.gif

• Like 1

my dogs had a look at the floor plan and they are still rolling on the floor with laughter.

i told them that their behaviour is very unfair and impolite while pouring a big vodka to overcome my horror w00t.gif

Now just from the building plans you can see why most ferang built houses are ridiculously priced 15 million to build that is a joke IMO and that doesn't include what op paid for land ,I hope op is not building this with an idea to sell it later on cause you wouldn't get anywhere near 15 million for it.

Is it not unwise to have the eating area at the opposite end of the house from the Western kitchen ?

Do you need to go out in the back yard in order to go to a bedroom from the main house ? Should be fun in Monsoon season.

Both meters and feet are being used in the plans, this is a big no no. Use one measurement scale only. You might end up with a small house or a very deep pool.

One of the bedrooms is also going to have a flat roof. Trying to repair the leaks should be fun

Fiesta, Ranger & Jazz are amused at the size of their kennels?

• Like 1

To be honest it's looks like something a property developer would bulid I.e cram as much as you can into the smallest space possible,no spare land ,no garden and probably not much of a view.

Don't get me wrong no doubt it will be nice when finished but we are all different and I would prefer to have more land available to stroll around and grow things.

Some suggestions:

See how it goes with your property in Trang first. Then leave it a while and see how you feel about investing in property in Thailand. There'll be plenty of other opportunities to invest in Thailand property so no rush.

Seems like you're sold on a dream, , and don't really understand the investment you're making or how you will make money from it - just hoping it will rise and you can sell. Hope is never a good investment strategy. Better to stick to what you know, or learn a lot more what you're doing.

In terms of property Thailand is always building. I'm sure in a few years time it would cost more. Whether you can sell it is an entirely different matter. We're happy with our home we bought about 5 years ago. It would cost more today, and the way the exchange rate went it's nice to have fixed that cost. Now while it would cost more to buy today, again I'm not certain we could sell at that price. There's a continual supply of new condos. So useful for fixing costs, maybe generating some income, but don't bank on capital gains and being able to sell. We bought for "nesting not investing" and for many in Thailand that's a good phrase to remember.

Remember also Thais view a property someone else has owned as "second hand" = not as good as new. In the west there's few qualms about this, a house is either "new" or a "house", no-one mentions second hand.

Fletch

:)

• Like 2

Why wouldn't they put the Western kitchen where the 'eating area' is, backing out onto the washing area and Thai kitchen? The design seems very odd. Also strange how little garden you get for 15 mil. It seems very dangerous to leave just a 50cm gap between the pool and the bedroom walls.

I'm a builder and i have to say that That is the worst design for a house. I have ever seen!

Just does not work. and will be a nightmare to live in.

Probely impossible to sell as well.....Would suggest you stop building NOW. and red-design the house. to a more sensible design. that fits the plot

EDIT.

A tip.

Build a 2 storey house. it will give you more room.

For a pool. and relaxiing area

Edited by bellboy

I have lived in Phuket for eleven years now and think I have a general handle on the happenings here. Many very upscale houses for sale here now, and I suspect the developers here would be just grinning at your plan and the cost. My wife's family has several major builders and would be very pleased to look over your site, plan and give you a cost estimate.

I'm a builder and i have to say that That is the worst design for a house. I have ever seen!

Just does not work. and will be a nightmare to live in.

Probely impossible to sell as well.....Would suggest you stop building NOW. and red-design the house. to a more sensible design. that fits the plot

EDIT.

A tip.

Build a 2 storey house. it will give you more room.

For a pool. and relaxiing area

As I said in other post these are typical property developer builds ,cram everything into the smallest plot possible and build a wall around it.

I know two ferang that have bought places similiar to this design swimming pool in the middle with L shape building going around swimming pool and car port on the other side of pool ,one was 3 bedroom the other 4 bedroom these were already built houses from a developer single plot no neighbours and they paid around half of what the op is planning to spend on building and this is in a more sought after area than trang.

looking at the plans again seems you have seriously overlooked something ...............there are no bathrooms shown.........

Seems to be the same architect as suvanaphumi airport then.

why would one need bathrooms if there's a pool... assuming there's water in the pool? huh.png