Thai Court Acquits Two Red Shirts Of Torching Central World Mall

webfact

reading that the accused here already served a couple of month jail time for violation of the emergency decree . i dare to guess what happen to those who get caught with their bling and watches loot. they probably also spend jail time for theft, but just didn't make to a high profile case like this one.

More than a couple of months ZZ. They have been in jail since 2010. 6 months sentence for violation of the emergency decree and the rest of the time in jail because they were refused bail. They're going to qualify for the maximum compensation, not that makes up for the stress of being on trial for your life and banged up in a Thai jail all that time.

You mean deserted by their bosses?

You two are a couple made in heaven.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hellodolly, on 25 Mar 2013 - 18:13, said:

What country are you referring to. In Thailand the courts drop cases because they involve red shirts. Tons and tons of u tube videos proving the red shirts were terroists and you claim there is no proof.

What do you call them peaceful armed country folks on a camping trip in down town Bangkok?

tons and tons of videos but what result?

just look at the OP. like it or not. case closed because insufficient evidence.

I would call that the Thai approach to the process of coming to terms with the recent past.

bit more explained few posts above.

ps. i see you will probably fail to see my point. better you put me on your ignore list.

Edited by ZhouZhou

If it's the paper I recall [mid-'11] I was puzzled about the singular focus on just the Central World complex [or more precisely Zen]. Despite being full of bourgeois comments and the city-nation-state it oddly omitted to mention any of the other arson or violent attacks, such as the SET [which might even factor into his argument], actions outside Bangkok such as the city hall attacks [which don't] let alone the other destruction which occurred.

The other odd thing to me was the presentation of the bucolic nature of the protesters, almost as if the gentle, possibly wise, country folk feeling out of place in the urban monstrosity could not possible have had the technical or even planning skills to contemplate such an act. Even ignoring the inherent insulting nature of such a presentation [though that I suspect that was not the author's intention] the result is a patchwork of oddly out of time contemplations with little data.

The problem is there are legitimate questions about what happened and how the fire got such a hold. Not saying there are not, and ideally the time-lines and knowledge should be laid out for all to see. However, these questions do not negate the position that there is little substantive evidence at this time that shows another narrative. All that is shown are apparent inconsistencies which are highlighted without giving space for the consistencies. [this is like the actions of the 911 "truthers"]

As I recall, the most attention was paid to this because of the insurance companies.

Basically, if it was Arson or Accident - one company had to pay out a large amount.

If it was "terrorism" than another company had to pay out a much smaller amount. (But that company was well-connected in it's shareholding)

Sorry, couldn't be bothered looking up the 2 companies involved right now - I always thought you should locke them in for a cage match.

Cheers

If it's the paper I recall [mid-'11] I was puzzled about the singular focus on just the Central World complex [or more precisely Zen]. Despite being full of bourgeois comments and the city-nation-state it oddly omitted to mention any of the other arson or violent attacks, such as the SET [which might even factor into his argument], actions outside Bangkok such as the city hall attacks [which don't] let alone the other destruction which occurred.

The other odd thing to me was the presentation of the bucolic nature of the protesters, almost as if the gentle, possibly wise, country folk feeling out of place in the urban monstrosity could not possible have had the technical or even planning skills to contemplate such an act. Even ignoring the inherent insulting nature of such a presentation [though that I suspect that was not the author's intention] the result is a patchwork of oddly out of time contemplations with little data.

The problem is there are legitimate questions about what happened and how the fire got such a hold. Not saying there are not, and ideally the time-lines and knowledge should be laid out for all to see. However, these questions do not negate the position that there is little substantive evidence at this time that shows another narrative. All that is shown are apparent inconsistencies which are highlighted without giving space for the consistencies. [this is like the actions of the 911 "truthers"]

To be perfectly honest I was more interested in his explanation of what Central World represented to Bangkokians rather than the conspiracy part of things though he like others have pointed out the two fires which most people on here ignore and a few other salient points but pointless trying to debate those in this atmosphere..

Back to the paper - its description of the myth and the demonisation of the red shirts (Thongchai Winichakul wrote a good piece on the perceived "invasion" of Chulalongkorn by the red shirt "germs") could go some way to explaining a few peoples attitudes on this forum.

The actions of the peaceful redshirt protestors demonised themselves without any help from TVF. But as you are "not a Thaksin/ redshirts supporter but", whats your spin on this event?

"Bangkok (Thailand), May 19 (ANI): Protesters have set fire to the offices of a TV station in Bangkok, trapping 100 people inside, officials say........

Military officials say they have sent a helicopter to begin an airlift of staff from the Channel 3 station".

If not for the brave actions of the military then you could add another 100 innocent deaths to the Thaksin riots death toll.

Since k. Abhisit / Suthep can be charged for ordering the army to clean up and some soldiers who cannot be identified took it too literal, can we now charge the UDD leaders whose videotaped, regularly broadcasted hate speeches on "bringing bottles", "burn the city" and "it's on me" seemed to have inspired their supporters to unexpected fury and fire, without being able to identify single people of course ?

Well there is a fair bit of difference between alleged "incitement" and direct orders that breached international guidelines or "clean up" as you call it in your unpleasant turn of phrase . You seem more concerned about shops and cinemas than you do human life.

..says the guy who has never shown and sympathy for the innocent Bangkok people who lost their jobs, belongings, loved ones and whose life was terrorized by the red mob during their violent occupation of down town Bangkok. Millions of people lived in fear for months, afraid to enter/exit their own house.

You seem more concerned about your Red/Black terrorized friends then you do about human life.

Another interesting point in this case is that prosecutors had failed to bring the policemen who arrested Mr Pinit in the CentralWorld garage on the evening of May 19, 2010 to testify in court and explain just how he was acting like an arsonist when they apprehended him.

Edited by Nickymaster

So in the end, the mall is burned down and absolutely no one is held criminally responsible for what clearly was a crime. Disgusting.

I don't know that I'd blame the court so much in this case.

Two teenagers and the two final suspects in this case hardly seem like the likely masterminds or main players behind the fire that burned down CentralWorld.

Rather, it's more likely a failure of the police to effectively investigate and pursue a meaningful criminal case against the arsonists, whomever they were. And the current government certainly has no great motivation to see justice done.

Hardly surprising, considering that the police were the ones who effectively failed to protect the building in the first place. And those in the government today were some of the same ones responsible for the chaos that led to the arson.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

So in the end, the mall is burned down and absolutely no one is held criminally responsible for what clearly was a crime. Disgusting.

Two teenagers and the two final suspects in this case hardly seem like the likely masterminds or main players behind the fire that burned down CentralWorld.

Rather, it's more likely a failure of the police to effectively investigate and pursue a meaningful criminal case against the arsonists, whomever they were. And the current government certainly has no great motivation to see justice done.

Hardly surprising, considering that the police were the ones who effectively failed to protect the building in the first place. And those in the government today were some of the same ones responsible for the chaos that led to the arson.

Hardly surprising, considering that the police were the ones who effectively failed to protect the building in the first place

Correct. And the policemen who had arrested them didn't show up in court..... Maybe on orders from above?whistling.gif

Since k. Abhisit / Suthep can be charged for ordering the army to clean up and some soldiers who cannot be identified took it too literal, can we now charge the UDD leaders whose videotaped, regularly broadcasted hate speeches on "bringing bottles", "burn the city" and "it's on me" seemed to have inspired their supporters to unexpected fury and fire, without being able to identify single people of course ?

Does this mean that Thaksin can expect murder charges to be added to his list of alleged Offences??. It was his order to get rid of drug dealers by any means to the Police when he was the Prime Minister if I recall.

Quick clue...which group is beyond the law in Thailand...which group kills many people and bever gets punished...who was in total control of the area when the blaze started...who pisses in the same amaat pot as the owners... who wear a fetching shade of khaki...Now you have your answer

Well there is a fair bit of difference between alleged "incitement" and direct orders that breached international guidelines or "clean up" as you call it in your unpleasant turn of phrase . You seem more concerned about shops and cinemas than you do human life.

..says the guy who has never shown and sympathy for the innocent Bangkok people who lost their jobs, belongings, loved ones and whose life was terrorized by the red mob during their violent occupation of down town Bangkok. Millions of people lived in fear for months, afraid to enter/exit their own house.

You seem more concerned about your Red/Black terrorized friends then you do about human life.

I'm certainly more concerned about dead people than buildings which I believe is what I said before - the rest is you projecting your fevered imagination. Is there a prize for hyperbole on this forum?

I'm certainly more concerned about dead people than buildings which I believe is what I said before - the rest is you projecting your fevered imagination. Is there a prize for hyperbole on this forum?

Yes there is and you just won one smile.png

post-58-0-43645400-1364315227_thumb.jpeg

Quick clue...which group is beyond the law in Thailand...which group kills many people and bever gets punished...who was in total control of the area when the blaze started...who pisses in the same amaat pot as the owners... who wear a fetching shade of khaki...Now you have your answer

After studying your post and following the clues you so gracefully provided I've found the answer smile.png

post-58-0-40016900-1364315590_thumb.jpg

No group was in total control when the blaze started. The army were moving in. There were still armed men opposing them.

No group was in total control when the blaze started. The army were moving in. There were still armed men opposing them.

Which blaze are you talking about - there were two outbreaks of fire, you know?