Thai Corrections Dept Not Ready To Enforce New Law On Electronic Monitoring Of Offenders

webfact

No money for e-tagging: jailers
PIYANUT TUMNUKASETCHAI
THE NATION

30202694-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prisoners will not get an opportunity to walk out of jail with electronic tagging, despite a recently introduced regulation, until the Corrections Department acquires a budget to buy the devices.

"We don't have any device to support the electronic tagging yet," the department's deputy director-general Kobkiat Kasiwiwat said. "The Budget Bureau has not yet allocated funds for thesedevices."

Last Friday, a new ministerial regulation allowing convicts to serve a jail term outside correctional facilities was announced in the Royal Gazette. According to Kobkiat, the regulation will allow prisoners who have already served a third of their term to leave the correctional facilities if they have eligible needs. These prisoners will remain under surveillance of authorities - and electronic tagging would be crucial in the implementation of the regulation.

"The court will decide which prisoners should be allowed to serve a jail term outside correctional facilities," he said.

He said the new regulation would apply to people detained during court trials too. However, Kobkiat said his department was not yet ready for the implementation of the new regulation. "We need the devices first."

Kobkiat also dismissed criticism that the new regulation was designed to benefit powerful offenders. "That's groundless. The decision on who should be let out of jail lies with the court," he said.

Justice Minister Pracha Promnok said authorities would have to plan the surveillance and test devices too.

The Probation Department, meanwhile, said it might consider leasing the devices to comply with the regulation.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-26

Talk about thinking it through. This current administration belongs in a mental ward for the ridiculously stupid.

No devices, no test protocol, no monitoring procedures, no monitoring equiptment, no survalence criteria and no legislative action. Just more verbal diarrhea from the clowns in this Thai adaption of One Flew over the Cuckoos' Nest.

Right you are. There are two types of these devices. One works in conjunction with the cellular network and the other one uses GPS. Either way a control center, which is expensive has to be set up and manned 24/7.

Another cart before the horse operation.

I noticed leasing might be an option. I'm sure any leasing company will be totally independent and will have no connections to any politicians.

I'm not sure I agree with the criticism here. I don't think it is the cart before the horse. Up until now, the monitoring devices were not legal or approved in Thailand. So, why would you invest in research, equipment and control centers for something that wasn't allowed? I think the law had to be passed first. Now they can justify proceeding with the other steps, obviously a budget first, to implement the program.

I'm not sure I agree with the criticism here. I don't think it is the cart before the horse. Up until now, the monitoring devices were not legal or approved in Thailand. So, why would you invest in research, equipment and control centers for something that wasn't allowed? I think the law had to be passed first. Now they can justify proceeding with the other steps, obviously a budget first, to implement the program.

The confusion is over the way it is being introduced to the public. This became law after it was published in the Royal Gazette on Friday. The proper way to make it public would have been a detailed plan as how it will be implemented. Rather than daily articles on no funding from the correction department.

The practice will of course be that the driver of the heir of Red Bull gets the tag, the culprit stays out. All the hot shots will get out and their housekeeper will be tagged, the smaller offenders do not stand a chance unless the judge, prosecutor and the police all see money.

Talk about thinking it through. This current administration belongs in a mental ward for the ridiculously stupid.

No devices, no test protocol, no monitoring procedures, no monitoring equiptment, no survalence criteria and no legislative action. Just more verbal diarrhea from the clowns in this Thai adaption of One Flew over the Cuckoos' Nest.

Right you are. There are two types of these devices. One works in conjunction with the cellular network and the other one uses GPS. Either way a control center, which is expensive has to be set up and manned 24/7.

I noticed leasing might be an option. I'm sure any leasing company will be totally independent and will have no connections to any politicians.

The leasing or renting of the devices are paid for, by the convicted person. Why should the tax payers have to foot this bill too. If the idiot can't pay for his own monitoring, then he shouldn't be allowed to roam free. Making them pay for their time would help them out too. (maybe)

The leasing or renting of the devices are paid for, by the convicted person. Why should the tax payers have to foot this bill too. If the idiot can't pay for his own monitoring, then he shouldn't be allowed to roam free. Making them pay for their time would help them out too. (maybe)

In other countries you are correct. The convict pays. But I have my doubts it will be that way here. There would be no money in it for the boys/girls at the top.