Thai Authorities Decide To Restrict Alcohol Sales During Songkran

webfact

The whole ban is wrong.sad.png

The throwing of water should be banned . clap2.gif

Nothing worse than having ones beer watered down by passing itinerant non drinkers or the Provisional Wing of the Thai Temperance Societycheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Anyone caught driving or riding in a car while under the influence of alcohol will be subject to six months’ imprisonment or a THB30,000 fine."

I hope there's something lost in translation here. This implies that passengers in cars, which I would assume would also apply to the thousands of revellers in the back of pickup trucks, could be arrested.

Passengers in cars in Japan are also not allowed to be drunk. Thailand's laws seem to be written with multiple interpretations in mind, so I wouldn't be surprised if this wastrue here too.

Fail. burp.gif

Don't you just love it, an " alcohol free zone ' to go with a " drug free zone " as claimed by Kalasin after Thaksin's war on drugs saw 2,000 odd deaths. Does anyone have the nuts to declare a " corruption free zone " ?

1. The police won't bother:

We cannot ride without a helmet. This is only enforced when police are in bonus week. You cannot do U-turns on main roads. Everyone does it. You cannot drive counter traffic on high ways. Bikes do it. etc..

2. Unlicensed drivers

Most drivers never learnt to drive. They don't have a driving license. Many 12 year old students drive their car to school. They can barely see over the wheel and never took driving lessons.

I think this is another waste of time. More laws no one will follow or enforce.

Alcohol is banned in many countries (including USA and UK) during certain events.Also banned in certain streets in UK and USA all the time. Nothing new here.

well another XXXX idea not to follow ! why people can not have or buy a drink? what the hell is that?and people vote for this kind of life? i already banned myself usa and uk as country to live since long time ago.

Edited by metisdead
: Vulgar profanity removed.

On new year,christmas,songkran,my birthday or any festival day in the world there must be on the table , (for those who can aford it) wine my friend,champagne,whisky ,wodka,gin,for smoker ...cuban cigar,music of course and plenty people to enjoy with.wai2.gif Otherwise it is not a party ..it is kind of bullxxxx day.

Edited by metisdead
: Vulgar profanity removed.

Who is going to enforce these laws?

The BIB is licking its chops. They have picked these locations because they know that the streets will be flooded with drunken fools, law or no law. They will make a fortune!

Getting tough on drinking and driving! Good news! Now I would like to see that same announcement on burning in the north.

Although the smokey season will soon be over I would just like to read a stiff warning on burning as is with drinking and driving.

Happy Songkran everyone. I hope no one stay's dry and all those folks digging out during Songkran "you won't be missed"

Restrictions are necessary when those in power have no authority/are to corrupt & incompetent to educate. And/or when those who should know better are too stupid or simply don't care to change.

please concerned... read this post....thats for you because it is the true reality

• Like 1

Personaly I think the best bet is just to Ban songkran, Its just an excuse for all the dickheads to come out on the streets and roads. again Ban it

Or enforce it to 2 days and really hammer the idiots who flout the law. Who needs a week or ten days of this sh*t?

I too have been up country where they have 1 or maybe 2 days of Songkran and they have great fun.

Edited by pattayadingo
  • Like 1

Alcohol is banned in many countries (including USA and UK) during certain events.Also banned in certain streets in UK and USA all the time. Nothing new here.

Hmm I've never heard of an Alcohol ban during certain events in the UK only time I have come across any restrictions in alcohol sales is Good Friday when sales of Alcohol in supermarkets isnt permitted before 12 noon other than that Alcohol is freely available for sale !

Edited by steve down under
  • Like 1

Another load of nonsense from the government who just " talk the talk " and don't " walk the walk. " Increase the police presense, cancel their leave they have a duty to the public. During this festival last year I had to avoid a crash at around 4pm, by letting my motor bike slide away and from underneath me. A totally reckless driver came straight out from a side road in front of me, so I had to avoid a direct hit. I had a coupla scrapes but the bike was damaged more. The driver reluctantly got out of his car and could just about stand up, he was so drunk and stank like a distillery. What happened ? Eventually a policeman on a motorbike stopped, helped the driver into his car and they both disappeared, leaving me with a bike that I could no longer ride. I wonder who the drunken driver was !!!!!!!

• Like 1

Amazing Thailand...

Waiting for TAT's response to this...

Why should they respond? Tourists don't care if alcohol is banned in a few streets. Still plenty of places to drink.

Are you serious? Khao San is tourist backpacker central. Trust me, they WILL care.

And what of the impact on businesses (restaurants/bars) in these 'Dry' zones. Will they be compensated in any way for the loss of revenue?

• Like 2

Anyone caught driving or riding in a car while under the influence of alcohol will be subject to six months’ imprisonment or a THB30,000 fine.

Guess that means no Taxi's but bikes, pickup trucks and Tuk Tuks are ok.

So, I guess, no designated drivers then?