Apacer Memory Products

bendejo

I've been seeing Apacer brand pen drives and memory sticks for a while but never thought twice about buying any.
Now they seem to be proliferating, in some cases being the only brand some places carry. I was recently in Penang and a fellow in one fellow in one of the IT mall shops told me Apacer comes from Taiwan and his shop didn't sell Chinese-made memory any more.
Anyone out there using them care to tell how well these things are holding up?

I got a free Apacer MP3 player with my old laptop that I bought in Bkk about 8 years ago. It consists of a thumb drive that slides into a battery powered player.

I still use it, although I also programmed the thumb drive to be a bootable Acronis True Image backup system.

post-35489-0-12096200-1364279072_thumb.j - mine looks a bit tattier than this!

My Apacer USB thumb drive with LIFETIME warranty died after a little more than 1 year. My dealer said they only warranty it 1 year, sorry.

The Apacer site says they does not support end users with warranty repair and all warranty MUST be obtained from the selling dealer.

Thanks. Yeah, if the thing only lasts a year I can't be bothered with it, even with the greatest warrantee plan in the world. We're talking about a 300b product.

I have a 1Gb Kingston I bought in 2006 for US$40, a bargain price at the time. It's been atached to my key ring since, and still works. The case looks like it's been through the washer & dryer a few times.

Edited by bendejo

I like HP memory sticks - nice design. Although the very small ones are so small I've already lost 2 so maybe there is such a thing as a too-small memory stick. These are basically the size of a USB plug.

I had an Apacer once I remember it was crazy slow.

Edited by nikster

I have an Apacer USB stick. Had it over 1 year now. It is used EVERY day. I copy tv progs onto it it - usually 5 different ones - each day and then plug it into my DVD player and watch tv.

Never had a problem in all that time.

Yet in that time, 2 Kingston datatraveller USB sticks have broken down. Yet 4 other Kingston USB sticks have never had a problem. These I load with tv progs for other people.

Slightly off topic....

I have a IITronics USB stick with headphone socket. That unit is to play MP3's and is almost 10 years old. I plugged a battery into it just now and that works fine.

1 old LG tv - about 8 years old - flat screen and bulit like a brick sh*thouse, has moved house with me 5 times. It is in the bedroom and still working. That unit has suffered brownouts, electricity cuts and the abuse of travelling thousands of kilometers.

It seems to me that if something is going to work well, it will. If it is going to break down, it will.