Song Kran....

coldcrush

Hey all,

I am so looking forward to Song Kran, every year I say its horrid and every year I return! CM is such a good place for Song Kran.

Anyways I will be the one with the battery powered water gun that pishes you off.. I know you all hate SongKran so lets see your replys., either way it wont stop you getting wet!

Cya :o

Anyways I will be the one with the battery powered water gun that pishes you off.. I know you all hate SongKran so lets see your replys., either way it wont stop you getting wet!

Cya :D

It sure will, as I leave town in April every year. Myanmar and Singapore are a far drier proposition. You are welcome to my spot on the klong :o

It sure will, as I leave town in April every year. Myanmar and Singapore are a far drier proposition. You are welcome to my spot on the klong :D

you will spill a cup of water on the way on your lap...Happy New Year! :o

I totally look forward to it as well... It's that time of year... the rising temperatures, the trees flowering like there's no tomorrow, the scent of jasmine.. even the haze.... You better watch out, you better not cry, you better not pout I'm telling you why: SOOOOOOOOOOOONGKRAN is coming your way, baby! :D :D :D

Cheers,

Chanchao :o

Hey all,

I am so looking forward to Song Kran, every year I say its horrid and every year I return! CM is such a good place for Song Kran.

Are they powerfull?Where can I get one? :o

Hey all,

I want one too! :D

Hey all,

I asked first! :D

Yep its that time of year when the hospitals start rubbing their hands in glee at the thought of all the extra "Customers" they will be getting, having either been "flushed" from their Motorcy's or have a few juicy infections after being soaked with Klong water!

Oh happy days!

I wander how many young people in CM won't be around for the next Songkran?

Oh happy days!

I wander how many young people in CM won't be around for the next Songkran?

Unfortunately a very sad fact. They just can't seem to equate that water, alcohol, and motor cycles can be a lethal combination.

Every year government warnings get posted about the dangers of "over revelling" and each year the numbers, sadly, remain much the same.......

Edited by Maejo Man

:D

Hey all,

I asked first! :D

Unless it's the size of a car battery, I wouldn't bother :D

Once upon a time, in about 1967, during the Vietnam War, American GIs stationed in Thailand used to take fire trucks out during Song Kran and ride around completely soaking the cute, polite little natives who were gently sprinkling water on each other during the quiet religious holiday with high pressure water hoses. The Thais thought it was funny - in their polite way - and so started throwing whole buckets of ice water at the GIs in response and covering them with colored powders and having loads of fun which everyone knows that Thais like.

This is how Song Kran turned into the wonderful modern holiday we celebrate today! :o

Once upon a time, in about 1967, during the Vietnam War, American GIs stationed in Thailand used to take fire trucks out during Song Kran and ride around completely soaking the cute, polite little natives who were gently sprinkling water on each other during the quiet religious holiday with high pressure water hoses. The Thais thought it was funny - in their polite way - and so started throwing whole buckets of ice water at the GIs in response and covering them with colored powders and having loads of fun which everyone knows that Thais like.

This is how Song Kran turned into the wonderful modern holiday we celebrate today! :o

Nothing less could be expected of an undisciplined bunch if indeed there is any truth in it.

FYI The practice of using powder and water paste predates the Septics by eons

> If the bird flu dont get you then that turgit sewer mixture

> masquerading as water from the filthy klongs sure will....

Hello.. Not sure if you're still talking about Chiang Mai, but the moat water is pretty clean. No houses next to it, nothing gets dumped in. And the Tessaban has their annual pre-Songkran cleanuip where they treat the water. (Ever seen those yellow water treatment trucks). The result is something pretty clean. Not as in crystal clear drinking water, but pretty clean. Plenty of fish in the moat actually, take a look. Heck, little kids swim in it in the summer. I once fell into it, cut my foot, blood out, water in, applied some betadine, party on dude. :o

-------

> Once upon a time, in about 1967, during the Vietnam War, American

> GIs stationed in Thailand used to take fire trucks out during Song Kran

> and ride around completely soaking the cute, polite little natives who

> were gently sprinkling water on each other during the quiet religious

> holiday with high pressure water hoses. The Thais thought it was funny -

> in their polite way - and so started throwing whole buckets of ice water

> at the GIs in response

Hahahahhaha... (You don't seem the person to be blaming all kinds of stuff on 'Americans' at every opportunity though? :D )

-------

> Nothing less could be expected of an undisciplined

> bunch if indeed there is any truth in it.

Come on, they're very disciplined. Compare a typical R&R bash in Patters with a Samui bar full of Brits during the upcomign World Cup and tell me again who's disciplined. :D

(Woops.. I feel I'm taking this off topic.. :D )

Come on, they're very disciplined. Compare a typical R&R bash in Patters with a Samui bar full of Brits during the upcomign World Cup and tell me again who's disciplined. :D

(Woops.. I feel I'm taking this off topic.. :D )

Chanchao, respect your comparison, and fully agree with the "bar full of brits" analogy, however, in the late sixties and early seventies, "our american cousins" (and I'm being polite here) were completely out of order. OK, "we're fighting and unpopular war, so we deserve to trash the neighbourhood when on R&R".......and they did!

"Compare a typical R&R bash in Patters with..." In recent times, I have to admit that when the US navy comes ashore on leave in Pattaya, they are extremely well disciplined, but I'm talking about thirty five years ago.....A different breed.

However, back to Songkhran :o

Back in the early 70s I was stationed at Korat AFB. One year a few of us Americans did get together and rent a water truck for a couple of days. A number of people, including locals, would climb aboard. We then had the truck slowly drive us around town, similiar to what you see in Chiang Mai today. There was no use of high pressure hoses and everyone had a ball, including the Thais. I also take affront to the post that was made below:

Nothing less could be expected of an undisciplined bunch if indeed there is any truth in it.

FYI The practice of using powder and water paste predates the Septics by eons

First, we were not an undisciplined bunch. While I am against much of what the US does throughout the world, this was good time had by all and no harm was done.

Speaking of an undisciplined bunch, you're not from that place known for its unruly gang of football hooligans that circulate the globe causing trouble where ever they go are you? A snide remark will get a snide remark.

First, we were not an undisciplined bunch. While I am against much of what the US does throughout the world, this was good time had by all and no harm was done.

Speaking of an undisciplined bunch, you're not from that place known for its unruly gang of football hooligans that circulate the globe causing trouble where ever they go are you? A snide remark will get a snide remark.

Wasn't aware I made one, just telling it as I saw it. If you noticed in another post I wrote...."In recent times, I have to admit that when the US navy comes ashore on leave in Pattaya, they are extremely well disciplined"

I call the shots as I see them, and give credit when it's due. In answer to your other question...I loathe football and all the hype and hooliganism that attaches it'self to this so called sport! There again I will be cried down on that one by the duped masses I'm sure :o

> however, in the late sixties and early seventies, "our american cousins"

> were completely out of order.

:D Yeah, but how about the Germans in the late thirties and fourties. :D

Then there's them Romans in the late 00's, raping and pillaging their way through the world like they owned the place. :o

------

> Are the hotels going to fill up in Chiangmai?

Mid range tourist class: Yes.

High end: No, but will charge high season rates

Budget / guesthouses: No. (It's backpacker's low season)

If you want a good mid range hotel, it's good to book ahead.

Maejo, it used to iritate the hel_l out of me during Sonkran to return to base (Sattahip) and get written up for wearing a wet uniform and having powder smeared all over me. The Master Chief didn't accept excuses.

Didn't know we trashed the neighborhood, now that would have gotten me the Captains Mast!

The US Military during the Vietnam war was generally disciplined while in theater or on R&R, there were always a few bad apples, alot like the football hooligans. Please don't judge us all based upon the few..........

.....there were always a few bad apples, alot like the football hooligans. Please don't judge us all based upon the few..........

I probably saw every rotten apple with the exception of yourself, and a good friend who was also stationed at Satiheep, but I don't prejudge a nation by it's tatty minority.

Chanchao mentions the Germans and the Romans (naturally tongue in cheek) ..."Yeah, but how about the Germans in the late thirties and fourties"

We had a German POW as a gardner in the "forties", and he was a great guy, but the Romans were before my time :o