Thai Adults Drinking Less, But More Teenagers Gulp More Booze

webfact

Thai adults drinking less, but more teenagers gulp more booze
By English News

bx.jpg

BANGKOK, March 27 – Nearly three million Thai people quit drinking alcohol in the last decade, but the number of alcoholic beverage shops has increased by 120,000 outlets, according to an independent survey.

The Centre for Alcohol Studies (CAS) reported that successive counter-alcohol campaigns have mainly contributed to a decline in drinkers. A total of 2.6 million people have ceased drinking alcohol in the past 10 years.

With mushrooming alcohol shops, alcoholic drinks are easily accessible to people.

The CAS said people aged above 15 drink alcohol on an average of 7.1 litres per person every year, or equivalent to 61 bottles of beer, one bottle of wine and 18 big bottles of distilled whiskey in combination.

The number of young female drinkers is increasing at one per cent per year while male adults drink less.

People in low-income household groups buy more alcoholic drinks than those in higher-income household group due to heavy marketing campaigns, especially due to online advertisements and activities on corporate social responsibility by beverage companies.

The heaviest drinkers are teenagers in Thailand’s North and Northeast, while the drinking rate in three southernmost provinces of Pattani, Narathiwat and Yala is the lowest in the country. Muslims are forbidden to drink alcohol by their religion. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-03-27

Where does this BS come from whistling.gifblink.png

Lies, damned lies and Thai statistics. It's good to know I'm drinking less and my neighbour's kids are right into it but I'm sure the mom and pop store in my soi sees more of me than them, a lot more

Hmmm. On Ragnam road in front of King power and the soi by the park. I dont see teenagers drinking whiskey and beer. I see grown adult mini-van drivers getting waisted by 9am till 2pm then sleep for couple of hours till 7-11 starts selling again.

You can tell who has been drinking longer by the volume of their music blasting for every one's enjoyment.

• Like 1

Snip>The CAS said people aged above 15 drink alcohol on an average of 7.1 litres per person every year, or equivalent to 61 bottles of beer, one bottle of wine and 18 big bottles of distilled whiskey in combination.<Snip

Excellent reporting, the bottles of beer must be very small wai2.gif

"People in low-income household groups buy more alcoholic drinks than those in higher-income household group due to heavy marketing campaigns, especially due to online advertisements and activities on corporate social responsibility by beverage companies."

So am i reading this right - corporate social responsibility campaigns by beverage companies is resulting in more alcohol sales to low income groups??

Be socially responsible - get pissed!!

• Like 1

From the Ministry of useless information.....

How they would ever know the numbers of drinkers and non drinkers is beyond me......it has to be completely fabricated information to appease some minister....and the press.

Snip>The CAS said people aged above 15 drink alcohol on an average of 7.1 litres per person every year, or equivalent to 61 bottles of beer, one bottle of wine and 18 big bottles of distilled whiskey in combination.<Snip

That's one hell of a bottle of wine!

Yeah I remember this was a big problem in banda pygmy people at one time , the problem fixed it's self, the adults started gulping along with the teenagers , there is however a distinct line between gulping and and drinking and and my vision is is s s s faking Gulp.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif hIC

• Like 1

If the latest government figures are true???

26,000+ die on the roads each year in vehicle accidents, this was quoted as 9000+ to 16,000+by other government spokesmen.

drinking is the major cause of accidents/fatilities

Bingo I have found a potential winner on the BS circuit

Next scientific resurch will tell us, "dead men tell no tales", but they have been known to vote.

Excellent reporting, the bottles of beer must be very small wai2.gif

What lightweights. I can drink that in one month. burp.gif

no sh*t... yesterday saw what must have been 13-14 year old on motorobike and proud owner of sixpack beer in his 108 shop baggie

they really don't care whom they sell to

no helmet dough, not even that free soam box "padding"

The article is actually informative and easy to understand. If you guys try to sober up for a few hours every week, you might be able to understand it as well cheesy.gif

Yes, I think a few missed the words '.......in combination', meaning that adding up the alcohol content of beer, wine & whisky to arrive at 7.1 litres of pure alcohol.

However, how many of the 2.6m supposed to have given it up - actually died?

If the latest government figures are true???

26,000+ die on the roads each year in vehicle accidents, this was quoted as 9000+ to 16,000+by other government spokesmen.

drinking is the major cause of accidents/fatilities

Bingo I have found a potential winner on the BS circuit

Next scientific resurch will tell us, "dead men tell no tales", but they have been known to vote.

Iron Maiden CD comes out again. "The Number Of The Beast" album is great for a 7/11 pub crawl.

Well what do you expect! with people drinking freely on the streets, teachers consuming alcohol after hours at school while the students practice sports, ministers under the influence during parliamentary sessions, bus drivers reeking of drink, The peers are sure to follow.

This is exactly what happens when you follow the USA model of demonizing a substance. The more they tell people not to do something, the more likely the kids are going to do it. There is a reason why kids who grow up around puritanical beliefs are more rebellious, because they have something to rebel against. Drop the stigma, and the problem lessens. Hype up the stigma, and watch the problem explode.

• Like 1

Muslims are forbidden to drink alcohol by their religion.

LOL AYE OK THEN.

They should visit the area around Sukhumvit Soi 3 and its equivalent in Pattaya. A long time ago a bar at the entrance to Soi Nana bar area had a sign up " Moslem men not welcome ", I can't remember the rest of the sign exactly but it was to do with them drinking and harassing the girls BUT the official line is they don't drink

It is not BS. Maybe it is where you live, in the city. But out in the country more teens are drinking everyday because there is no enforcement to any laws out there. I know i live way out in the boonys. So it is not BS.

Lies, damned lies and Thai statistics. It's good to know I'm drinking less and my neighbour's kids are right into it but I'm sure the mom and pop store in my soi sees more of me than them, a lot more

Maybe you should slow down on your drinks and take a look around and really see what is happening.

Muslims are forbidden to drink alcohol by their religion.

LOL AYE OK THEN.

They should visit the area around Sukhumvit Soi 3 and its equivalent in Pattaya. A long time ago a bar at the entrance to Soi Nana bar area had a sign up " Moslem men not welcome ", I can't remember the rest of the sign exactly but it was to do with them drinking and harassing the girls BUT the official line is they don't drink

Suspect that sign was aimed more at Arab men confirm to Thailand to partake in some sukhumvit fun rather than Muslims generally.