Pangolins - Yet Another Disgraceful Hub For Thailand

francescoassisi

I think the above poster is being a bit naive.

Below is from the save the pangolin web site.

Pets medicine or food, farming wild animals has a tendency to increase demand and therefore pressure on the wild population of endangered animals

This also tends to make people less concerned about the wild population whose habitat is then destroyed at an ever increasing rate....

"Pangolins are hunted for food, for use in traditional medicine and as fashion accessories, and for a rampant illegal international trade in scales, skins, and meat. There is high demand for nearly all of their body parts, principally from China. The large-scale illegal trade in Asian pangolins is drastically driving down their numbers throughout Southeast Asia. Rapid loss and deterioration of available habitat places added pressure on the dwindling numbers of remaining pangolins".

what are some examples of farming and breeding animals causing the demand to increase and pressure the wild ones?

Just curious

Good question. It would seem that if the animal-rights folks are most concerned about extinction, they'd be in support of farming and breeding these animals to meet both demand and ensure survival of the species. Apparently not.

I don't have a dog in this fight. In fact, I wouldn't know a pangolin if I was pissing on one. But every time an animal-rights activist opens his/her mouth, I cringe. They seem to love animals more than people...which is certainly their right. But in fact, pretty much every culture/country has examples of what could constitute animal cruelty. Why should a pangolin be treated any differently than a cow or pig? If they're endangered, certainly, but breeding them doesn't seem to be the answer that animal-rights folks want to hear either.

On a somewhat unrelated note, why does it seem that every endangered animal on this planet that gets smuggled always ends up in China? Is everything considered medicine over there?

They seem to love animals more than people...which is certainly their right.

That does seem to be the case,considering the way some humans treat animals,it's hardly surprising animals need help to survive,humans don't.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least the Chinese don't eat Panda

YET.

Or maybe that's why they breed them.

Who knows.

Pandas are a good example how China cares about endangered species.

Only if it's a good money spinner,like Pandas in Zoo's.

Boners have been critical to human history.

What if the Pangolin produced some crazy Matrix powers boner? You know you want it.

Sure some people eating say Pangolin doesn't do that but have they actually tried it?

Eating oysters with their high zinc content is supposed to increase testosterone production and I have personally verified this as very effective.

So what if the Pangolin was beyond category sex power but none of these activist losers have ever tried it.

"What if it worked"? That phrase is essential to human history and the future of mankind.

Who cares a toss about another mans boner (no pun intended),perhaps nature intended their genes had a limited shelf life?

Edited by MAJIC

Pandas are a good example how China cares about endangered species.

-

Only if it's a good money spinner,like Pandas in Zoo's.

-

Actually the Chinese government's main benefit from exporting pandas is international relations, both country-to-country diplomacy and general "image marketing" public relations, not financially motivated that directly. But I agree it all comes down to practical considerations, zoos are hardly a solution for environmental issues.

Very few zoos that qualify to receive Pandas are actually self-sufficient from user fees, in most decent societies these institutions are subsidised with public funds.

I think the one in Chiang Mai tries to operate self-sufficiently, may even be a private for-profit organisation, but of course TiT where even private schools and hospitals are rarely non-profit.

Edited by FunFon
  • Like 1