Multiple Entry B Visa & Work Permit Cancellation

Hello everybody.

I know this subject has been treated many times, but due to the frequent changing in Thai laws, I would like to make sure I understood correctly.

I have a WP and I am here on a Multiple Entry B visa (obtained in Penang, after presenting my WP). My understanding (mostly from your forum) is that even if I cancel my WP, my Visa remains valid, as opposite as if I were on an Extension of stay (which should terminate the day I cancel my WP). So, my stamp is valid until June 13th and the Visa until December 17th.

If I cancel my WP today, I am still okay to stay in Thailand until June 13th and if I do a cross border I get another 90 days, regardless of the fact I cancel my WP. is it correct or I am missing something?

And finally, does anybody know it there is a fee to be paid to cancel the WP?

Thank you all for the help

In most cases this is true, however I have in two occasions been asked to see my WP upon re-entering on a multiple entry Non-Imm B. Not sure what would have happened if I could not present it. That said, my old passport had a stamp in the back stating I had a WP, while my new passport does not and I have not been asked since having the new passport.

In most cases this is true, however I have in two occasions been asked to see my WP upon re-entering on a multiple entry Non-Imm B. Not sure what would have happened if I could not present it. That said, my old passport had a stamp in the back stating I had a WP, while my new passport does not and I have not been asked since having the new passport.

Hello. I have heard this happened to other people as well, with the difference they did not have the WP with them. They told me what happened was the immigration at the border cancelled the B visa and let them in on a 30 day tourist entry.

So, I was aware of that, but my main concern is that they let me leave without giving me any hassle of overstay.

Edited by rogerpilly

Quavagirl was this at a border crossing or at Airport?

This is absolutely the first time I have ever heard or read of immigration wanting to see a work permit when entering on a multiple entry B visa.

There are many people that make entries everyday on this type of visa without a work permit because they live abroad and make frequent business trips to Thailand.

Edited by ubonjoe

Here's a new twist I cancelled my work permit with the labour office half way through this month (march) and my visa finishes on the 31st march , I've just gone to a new province to get another 12 month Teaching visa today (28th) and they have told me to return back to the the other province (10 hour away) to cancel the the old visa before the 31st (sunday) it's the 28th today!!!!!!!!. They told me that i will be fined because i didn't cancel the visa the same time as the w/p <deleted>. And i can't get a new visa/w/p until this is done TIT. I'll let you know the out come once i get there.

You apparently had an extension of stay from immigration rather than a visa and that ends on the day your employment ends and needs to be canceled at that time. You should also have a letter from your former employer addressed to immigration stating your last day of employment for this process.

Here's a new twist I cancelled my work permit with the labour office half way through this month (march) and my visa finishes on the 31st march , I've just gone to a new province to get another 12 month Teaching visa today (28th) and they have told me to return back to the the other province (10 hour away) to cancel the the old visa before the 31st (sunday) it's the 28th today!!!!!!!!. They told me that i will be fined because i didn't cancel the visa the same time as the w/p <deleted>. And i can't get a new visa/w/p until this is done TIT. I'll let you know the out come once i get there.

Well after a 24 hour round trip and only 5 minutes in the my old local office , it turns out there is nothing wrong from my end my visa was cancelled as by request 2 days before the end of the month so i could travel and set up in another area my w/p was cancelled earlier but the two officies dont comunicate and the question of when the w/p was cancelled was never asked by the office. I was on the same visa( 12 months) for the last 4 years and it seems if the two officies dont talk nothing gets cancelled until you ask because i just had 6 weeks difference between end of work and end of visa. But if i didn't cancel the visa before the end of it's life ,next time would of been painful.