Brit, Dutchman, Filipino Busted In Bangkok Telemarketing Scam

webfact

Cops bust six for running telephone investment scam
By Coconuts Bangkok

Screen-Shot-2013-03-28-at-11.27.12-AM-57
Bangkok's Bang Na District

BANGKOK: -- Earlier today, Bangkok police announced the arrest of two Thais and four foreigners in Bangkok’s Bang Na district. The sextet had allegedly been running a telephone investment scam.

The foreign fiends included two Brits – Anthony Gunguly, 34, and Simon Murphy, 31 – as well as Michel Dingelhoff, 45, a Dutch national, and Manny Detera, 34, a Filipino.

Two Thais – Kampol Kongsrikan and Wichan Saluya – were taken into custody as well.

Pol Col Kanapat Pahumanto says that the group was contacting foreigners via the phone and inducing them to invest in fake oil, gas and mineral enterprises.

Full story: http://www.coconutsbangkok.com/news/cops-bust-six-for-running-telephone-investment-scam/

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-03-28

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

less of the criminal foreigner around the better is.

good job by the police.

Personally, less criminals full stop would be better.

The sad thing is, that these scams often have tacit approval from BIB, so the real big fish are never caught. These are just a bit of the regular sacrificial offering.

• Like 2

good job by the police.

The sad thing is, that these scams often have tacit approval from BIB, so the real big fish are never caught. These are just a bit of the regular sacrificial offering.

I rather think you mean fewer criminals ...

• Like 1

good job by the police.

I take it you are a TEFLER?

Edited by mrtoad
  • Like 1

good job by the police.

of course every arrest of criminal foreigners happens because the police is so corrupt.

what a nonsense.

Edited by ZhouZhou
  • Like 1

good job by the police.

of course every arrest of criminal foreigners happens because the police is so corrupt.

what a nonsense.

Are you reading a different post?

I did not say that, but maybe you are a bit new to what has been going on with this particular scam for a considerable time.

Therefore, your post is nonsense

• Like 1

good job by the police.

I take it you are a TEFLER?

Nothing wrong with being able to do more than grunt.

Two Brits, a Dutchman, a Filipino and two Thais walk into a bar .....

And it isn't a joke. What is a joke is that anyone falls for these scams? Are there that many gullible idiots out there?

Edited by sfbandung
  • Like 1

good job by the police.

...the better is........? What? You're missing a word

But grammatical construction aside - nice bit of trolling, which already has the fish biting.

But you're right the less illegal Thai / Chinese criminals in the UK the better - same principle right?

Edited by jonclark
  • Like 1

good job by the police.

Yes, the heads who earn the big money, survive and find quickly new guys working on....

good job by the police.

For those obviously who don't know.

Less:

adjective. lesser - minor - fewer

good job by the police.

But grammatical construction aside - nice bit of trolling, which already has the fish biting.

But you're right the less illegal Thai / Chinese criminals in the UK the better - same principle right?

I very much doubt that the poster is Chinese, possibly Thai, but more likely to be a troll

• Like 1

good job by the police.

I very much doubt that the poster is Chinese, possibly Thai, but more likely to be a troll

"but more likely to be a troll".......that is like saying the sun is more likely to rise in the East.

• Like 2

Bloody good.I am fed up with those 2 German sounding chaps and few Flippinas who keep calling me almost every day pretending to be in HK asking me to invest in what I am sure is a phony co and maybe shares. Despite my continuous rejection and even asking them to stop calling me they never stop.I dont know where they got my Brunei No from:) SOS anyone....

Oh dear,I was pondering moving to Thailand to escape....!!

Edited by mickymouse1

good job by the police.

no one needs criminals. at least i don't need them.

and it doesn't matter if the criminals are foreign from what country they are.

Edited by ZhouZhou

good job by the police.

what it has to do with China?

anyway - i doubt that you are a toad.

• Like 2

Buy one get 3 free deals on Stock purchases may be a "red flag". Human greed keeps these scams alive. Stop the demand end the supply.

A few years ago I was in Delhi. On the way from the airport to the hotel we passed a tailor shop with the sign outside "buy one suit get two free". Go figure.

The sad thing is, these operations have been going on for years. They aren't as blatant as they were 10 yeasr back, when they had big offices in central locations, but there are plenty of these little small operations dotted around Bangkok - many all linked to the usual suspects. Every now and then, a few of the juniors get offered up to the BIB, just so it looks like things are being done. Personally, irrespective of their nationality, they are despicable individuals and whilst the argument about greed is somewhat correct, they also prey on old people, who might not be so aware of these types of scams.

A particular blogger in Thailand has covered a fair few stories of this, but ultimately it doesn't seem to go anywhere.

good job by the police.

what it has to do with China?

anyway - i doubt that you are a toad.

Read the previous post, where there is an insinuation by the poster that you may be Chinese.whistling.gif