Tour Desk Discounts

GiantFan

Friends in last week and even though they have been here many times, went down to a tour desk in Patong to see what was new and what sort of prices they were charging. Typical stuff like Cabaret show, Phi Phi day trip, Extreme Adventure, etc...

After a bit of talking about how I was a resident, was recommended by a Thai friend (a lie) and that I wasn't prepared to pay tourist prices we got down to brass tacks. On the few things that I was interested in, I was quoted a discount of between 30 - 50% off the published price. This was a bit surprising to me.

Did a Similans snorkeling day trip for THB 1900 vs. published THB 3800. Included transfer and food. Had a great time. Well worth it.

Didn't realize that such discounts were available with very little effort on my part. No idea what discount would have been offered if I went directly to the tour operator. Probably would have been closer to the published price. I assume the tour desk has a contract that gives them a preferred discount.

Just thought that some would be interested.

P.S. Don't know any tour desk operators personally. How much commish do they get?

The price quoted in the brochure is always hogwash, it is the price they reckon the most expensive agent would take, like the tour counter in a 5 star hotel. Of course you can haggle about the price, they will lower their profit a bit in order to make a sale.