Is Your Dog Coping With The Heat

its been getting so hot during the day and night how is your beloved coping,as ours has a double coat he is managing to find somewhere out of the heat.he will lay under the car with a fan on close by,he also likes to lay on our marble table we have outside but even that is holding the heat he will only get up on it in the early morn.and thats only 5-6am or he goes into the downstairs shower room again with a fan close by.we are having to feed him 6pm instead of 5 as the sun is still up,then its out for his walk,bottle of cold water and a cold cloth to cool him down.as our downstairs floor is large open plan our air con is in the bedrooms,but since its been so hot we are putting it on at 7pm and i am taking the dog to bed at 8,he loves the air con and we have a large fan to circulate the cold air,how these dogs that are left to fend for themeselves with no water is a sight i would rather not see.there are so many inconsiderate owners with no brains when it comes to looking after dogs its no wonder there are so many running the streets,i have even had to tell my bil when he comes to stop chasing the dog or getting him to run after his ball,some of them that are locked inside their property have no water.its 8am and ours already is looking for somewhere cool. taffy a considerate dog owner.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of my golden retrievers climbs into and sleeps in the fish bowl outside, the others sleep in the bathroom or stand bt the hose waiting to get a shower.

We have a polished granite floor which is fairly cool. I go for my usual morning walk from about 6.15-8.30, and three of the adult dogs come with me almost every day. The GSX comes only rarely.... but he was always lazy.

But when I turn on the aircon in my bedroom, they all queue up to come in.

I have something similar to this in the garden, they will always be near it. I usually switch on the aircon in afternoon, they know the timing and will be in the living room waiting. I also cut the fur to as short as possible. This should help them to get by.

we had ours clipped last yr.oh my god it wasnt our lovely dog and he did get a lot of hotspots,can you imagine a malamute in his birthday suit.we tried him in a kids swimming pool but he wouldnt have it,just lately he has taken to having a shower now even the water is warm.the fish in the pond are hiding and the wf.wont do any gardening and i am running out of drink every day,what a life.

My Shih Tzu's must be daft they appear to like to lay out in the sun, just the oldest male likes to go in the bathroom a lot, electric has been out for over 1 hour, just back on, all 6 dogs were outside with me in the sun.. no idea why the 4 girls all like to lay the same on there back with there legs up and wide open..!!

Don't like air con, so do not use, 3 of the girls come up to bed with me, one very long hair, sleeps at my feet nearest to the fan, one on my back, the other always on my head.

I understood that because dogs don't have sweat glands, clipping their fur doesn't make them any cooler.

Because they cool themselves by panting (evaporation cools the tongue and air passages), the fur actually helps insulate the dog and prevents heat entering though the skin.

A bit like the Nomads in the Desert covering them selves head-to-toe with fabric in order to escape the heat.

• Like 1

These are all lucky dogs with caring owners. But what about all the poor stray dogs you see in the streets? They are dying on their feet with no one to help them. I see many animal hospitals who treat rich peoples pets when there are dogs in the street outside dying of starvation. 18,000 in Chiang Mai.

Can the local government help in a situation like this? Maybe they do not want to know because there is no money in it.No backhanders.I always think people who are cruel to animals would be cruel to human beings, in the same way, if they got the chance.

I grew up in the mountains, shoveling snow, cutting wood, dealing with black ice, etc. I had a huge yard, and

I love dogs. One thing about Alaskan Malamutes is they need space to run, and they absolutely LOVE SNOW, and

most importantly - COLD WEATHER. Even with my large yard, and the cold climate, I was advised by a breeder

that it was not large enough. I'm glad I didn't get one, I had other friends that had the breed and they were diggers

and they always wanted to get outside and run away.

If anyone is considering getting a Malamute type dog in Thailand, please don't. They can't handle the temperatures

and this breed needs to run. I have no idea why they are in Thailand, it's like expecting a polar bear can exist in a zoo

around here.

OP - don't take any offense, and I hope you can second my opinion that this breed should not be kept in Thailand.

Edited by oakweb
  • Like 2

Our Lab and miniture Daschund came over about 2 years ago and adapted well. They don't get any special treatment. The Lab hates water and need to restrain her when its time to shower. The Daschund falls into the fish pond when hunting frogs, but dont like swimming. Only thing they must have access to plenty fresh water, although our bunch prefer the lotus pond water.

I have something similar to this in the garden, they will always be near it. I usually switch on the aircon in afternoon, they know the timing and will be in the living room waiting. I also cut the fur to as short as possible. This should help them to get by.

we had ours clipped last yr.oh my god it wasnt our lovely dog and he did get a lot of hotspots,can you imagine a malamute in his birthday suit.we tried him in a kids swimming pool but he wouldnt have it,just lately he has taken to having a shower now even the water is warm.the fish in the pond are hiding and the wf.wont do any gardening and i am running out of drink every day,what a life.

For nearly 20 years I have had Keeshounds and Boxers live long happy lives in SEA by learning how they manage heat and adapting our lives to their needs. No dog sweats (cools down) from their skin; only by their tongues hanging out is their blood cooled down.

Long hair dogs need their long hair for insulation from the heat (as well as for looking good). Please tell all who own long haired dogs to do some research if they need a higher authority. The guidelines: 1) keep long and double coated dogs indoors in the hot weather (air conditioning may be essential; 2) all dogs outdoors should be allowed to swim or at least play under a sprinkler (but then give them time to dry thoroughly as you would your own -- or your wife's -- hair before going into a cold inside; 3) never but never cut a long haired dog's hair short or risk killing your dog from heat stroke; 4) if your dog must be outside, get a short haired, long snout breed but still never leave your dog outdoors for extended time in the heat.

Oh, the same is true for short snout and short hair breeds such as Boxers, Bulldogs, Boston Terriers, Pugs, etc.

My sister in laws labrador uses the pool more than her children. When he is hot he just gets up and saunters over to the swimming pool and gets in at the childrens end and then swims up and down in the deep part of the pool and then back to the childrens end, walks out, shakes and lays on a concrete area under a roof. He uses the pool the whole year around and I often tease my sister in law about what a good owner she is to provide a swimming pool for her dog. The choice words she uses in reply are perfectly pronounced unlike her normal English!

Anyone out there know how to help those poor neglectet dogs in my neighborhood?

Would providing correct food and water help?

What does the vet say?

Access to clean water is always a problem for street dogs, so putting out some fresh water every day would be a kindness - particularly in this weather.

Whilst most street dogs do in my experience get fed to a certain extent, the food is usually table scraps with lots of rice. Giving them even a little of a properly-balanced food, or fish/meat scraps would help improve their lot. (That said, many street dogs will be unfamiliar with dry dog food and some may disdain it.)

However, the real problem is disease - ticks, fleas, heartworm, distemper, parvovirus, the lot. Almost inevitably, if a dog isn't taken off the street and given medical care it will die pretty quickly. Food and drink sadly only staves off the inevitable.

• Like 1

A few years back when it was extra hot, like now, we got our dogs a large block of ice from the local vendor. At first they did not know what to make of it, but after a bit of investigation were licking it like crazy.

Now, of course, they recognise it straight away and even grate bits off the block with their teeth.. Must cool them down a bit.

Would electrolyte powder from the local pharmacy, mixed with water, be suitable for dogs? i am not a vet nor any kind of physician, so am just posing the question.

i myself was having a tough time today until I remeMbered i had skipped my electrolytes. Corrected that, feeling stonger now.

Would electrolyte powder from the local pharmacy, mixed with water, be suitable for dogs? i am not a vet nor any kind of physician, so am just posing the question.

i myself was having a tough time today until I remeMbered i had skipped my electrolytes. Corrected that, feeling stonger now.

Dog's don't sweat, so they don't need electrolyte powder (except, possibly when they're vomiting a lot or have sever diarrhea). I doubt it would do any harm, but might place an extra strain on the kidneys of an elderly dog, or one with kidney disease.