Tesco Lotus Is Building An Empire In Thailand

webfact

Tesco goes head-to-head with Thailand's wet markets
Tesco is building an empire in Thailand.
By Graham Ruddick

BANGKOK: -- The outskirts of Bangkok are an unlikely place to find inspiration for the future of Britain’s supermarkets. But the Tesco Lotus Plus shopping mall at Srinakarin provides a glimpse into the future.

The mall sits in a wealthy district next to one of Bangkok’s many chaotic main roads. The ground floor includes shops from Thailand’s best-known consumer names, such as clothing retailer Bossini, as well as a range of family restaurants and a food hall with a KFC, McDonald’s and Starbucks.

On the upper level sits a multiplex cinema run by one of the country’s biggest cinema chains, Major Cineplex Group. Next door to the cinema, there is a large Tesco – selling a range of food and non-food items including mobile phones and televisions.

It is approaching lunchtime on a weekday, but with the temperature hitting 40 degrees Celsius outside, the air-conditioned mall is buzzing with activity.

As well as visiting the shops and cinema, families are attending the doctors and dropping their children off at the theatre and music schools within the mall. And, despite the range of attractions among the 170 units, four out every five people visiting the mall are expected go into Tesco and spend money.

Full story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9963749/Tesco-goes-head-to-head-with-Thailands-wet-markets.html

-- The Telegraph 2013-04-01

• Like 1

Such a boring article. I dont really have anything else to say about it

Agreed.

The wet markets selling fresh, unwrapped meat, fish, fruit and vegetables etc will always exist here because they are very popular with the Thai people who like to pick and choose their purchases. However a few years ago the large supermarkets were nearly the death of what the British call "the high street shops" , butchers, fishmongers and bakers etc. There has been something of a revival in this in the UK and I think the large supermarkets like Tesco, C and Makro (which is more of a bulk purchase outlet) will have less of an effect on the Thai style markets. The Thai wet markets just need to clean up their act a bit more.

• Like 2

Well its not an April Fools joke as it was posted after midday (so the joke would be on the poster if it was meant to be a joke)...

I also don't actually see a reason for the report at all - life as usual - whats the big deal?

• Like 1

Jack Cohen's business motto was "pile it high and sell it cheap", to which he added an internal motto of "YCDBSOYA" (You Can't Do Business Sitting On Your Arse) which he used to motivate his sales force........obviously he never envisaged Tesco in Thailand. wink.png

Someone has to big up Tesco. They have been having a shocker the last year or so, and are about to exit their escapade in the USA.

Tesco is a british Company and in my humble opinion the most odious company in the UK. They have a lot to answer for. They force local councils - through outspending on lawyers - to allow them to open stores in inappropriate locations. We had a battle against them in my small town and we lost because the Council gave up the fight ("Tescos have so far used up 90% of the County budget this year ....."); Then that dreadful daughter of Jack Cohen (Dame Shirley Porter) who was the leader of the Westminster Council when it got embroiled in gerrymandering (homes for votes scandal), fled the country when the district auditor fined her 27 million UK pounds for her part of the scam. Off course she wouldn't pay and claimed that she was only worth 300k (I believe she owned 24% of the Texco shares and transferred her wealth to other members of her family). Then this self same woman had the cheek to castigate the Poll Tax protestors by saying that the only way to solve political problems was "through the democratic process". Tesco did not use the democratic process when they forced Sunday opening on the UK through blatantly and repeatedly breaking the law. Neither do they use the democratic process to overcome planning laws in the UK at the expense of cash-strapped communities. Nasty Woman. Nasty Company. Avoid at all costs.

Edited by ianf

I will tell you all good true story. There was a poor little man who had a groceries stall in a London side street.Through hard work he set up another stall then some shops then a bigger shop. He had to find a name for his group of shops. His daughter was called Tessa Cohen. So he took the first three letters of her first name and the first two letter of her last name and put them together to make......TESCO!<br /><br />That is how Tescos sarted. I think Supermarkets are happy,jolly places. Ilove them.

Someone has to big up Tesco. They have been having a shocker the last year or so, and are about to exit their escapade in the USA.

Tesco is a british Company and in my humble opinion the most odious company in the UK. They have a lot to answer for. They force local councils - through outspending on lawyers - to allow them to open stores in inappropriate locations. We had a battle against them in my small town and we lost because the Council gave up the fight ("Tescos have so far used up 90% of the County budget this year ....."); Then that dreadful daughter of Jack Cohen (Dame Shirley Porter) who was the leader of the Westminster Council when it got embroiled in gerrymandering (homes for votes scandal), fled the country when the district auditor fined her 27 million UK pounds for her part of the scam. Off course she wouldn't pay and claimed that she was only worth 300k (I believe she owned 24% of the Texco shares and transferred her wealth to other members of her family). Then this self same woman had the cheek to castigate the Poll Tax protestors by saying that the only way to solve political problems was "through the democratic process". Tesco did not use the democratic process when they forced Sunday opening on the UK through blatantly and repeatedly breaking the law. Neither do they use the democratic process to overcome planning laws in the UK at the expense of cash-strapped communities. Nasty Woman. Nasty Company. Avoid at all costs.

Every little helps.

• Like 1

The Srinakarin Tesco is purely by co-incidence our local and not far from Pak Nam.

Located just outside the "farang comfort zones" I cant remember the last time I saw a white face in the joint...its very Thai....and very very popular

Lots of good local ran-ahans outside including my favourite Moo Kata and its also got an AEON atm.

Again ref Jack Cohen purely by co-incidence I used to work for Westminster Council and on more that one occasion she ( Lady P)bought the round in the local gin joints.

Very pushy leader and got a lot of things wrong...ask Mr John McGill...who estimated her Gerry M at 49M quid...she settled years later on...9M..but she was fun to work with....MPrai

I think this is a very important issue, Tescos are springing up everywhere and if you think what they did to the UK high street, that is happening here. They are squeezing small businesses hard and no doubt their suppliers, but the crucial difference here is the absence of council tax, so these businesses will survive, but life will be hard for them

Large companies do untold damage all over the world, their lobbyists control governments everywhere, so there is little anyone can do.

Okay so this topic is a waste of time from that point of view.

• Like 1

There's a clash of the titans in building an Empire, Tesco and Thaksin, wounder who will finish firstcoffee1.gif

Well Done! First Prize in the "most unlikely thread to find a comment about Thaksin in" contest saai.gif

Congratulations to you too for being his faithful watchdogclap2.gif

• Like 1

I will tell you all good true story. There was a poor little man who had a groceries stall in a London side street.Through hard work he set up another stall then some shops then a bigger shop. He had to find a name for his group of shops. His daughter was called Tessa Cohen. So he took the first three letters of her first name and the first two letter of her last name and put them together to make......TESCO!<br /><br />That is how Tescos sarted. I think Supermarkets are happy,jolly places. Ilove them.

Well done, this puts the human face on Tesco for me and whilst the Staff could do with a bit of hospitality training, by and large they seem to be getting it right. Evidence? The speed at which they seem to be integrating themselves as one of the foremost retailers in Thailand. Mind you, not universally popular with all Thais, especially the small private retailers.

What's with the Tesco bashing?

Don't you remember what shopping as a farang in Thai small shops, where nothing has a price label on it, was like. It was pot luck whether you were given the same price as everyone else, or got quoted an outrageous (for Thailand) amount because you were a farang.

As for Tesco's finances. Thailand is the bright spot in their books, while they've been struggling in the UK (because internet retailers cut down on profit margins on electricals), and weren't doing well in the US.

I shop by price - I can't afford the luxury of supporting small business by conscience. If Tesco has the pricing advantage they have my business no matter where they are - sorry Thai mums and dad's it's tough on everyone right now. How unurbane I have become since living in Thailand.

• Like 2