New Immigration Program To Be First Field-Tested In Chiang Mai

orang37

Isn't this merely a covert relaunch of the Thailand-Elte Card, but dropping the word 'elite', which is nowadays deemed offensive by the newly-risen red-elite ? whistling.gif

And as for reducing 'social pollution' in the North-West, might I suggest the same approach as with smoke pollution, the use of a high-pressure water hose, to spray areas where these undesireables congregate ? Or is this perhaps what Songkran has already become ? rolleyes.gif

Should be some test for those females who you see walking round airport plaza barking orders at the young girl balancing a white toddler on her hips walking the regulation 3 paces behind them at all times.

Sawasdee Khrup, Fellow Fools of April ("Kon ngoo Maesaayon" ?),

While I can't claim this video (family-safe, imho, as long as you warn your children not to imitate this) on YouTube was done as an April 1, joke, like Khun Rasseru's entertaining vid, I do think it would have been superbly appropriate for the day.

I would assume that the entire town (particularly the government, and the police), and everyone seen in the video, is "in on the game," since, in this "age of terrorism" I can imagine that such tomfoolery being enacted in public, in any town, would have brought SWAT teams, snipers, and drones, while smile-laugh-count would have been replaced by body-count.

yours, ~o:37;

p.s. what is this b.s. about April Fool's stunts having to be performed before noon ? That's certainly not traditional where I was bored.

• Like 1

Sawasdee Khrup, Fellow Fools of April ("Kon ngoo Maesaayon" ?),

While I can't claim this video (family-safe, imho, as long as you warn your children not to imitate this) on YouTube was done as an April 1, joke, like Khun Rasseru's entertaining vid, I do think it would have been superbly appropriate for the day.

I would assume that the entire town (particularly the government, and the police), and everyone seen in the video, is "in on the game," since, in this "age of terrorism" I can imagine that such tomfoolery being enacted in public, in any town, would have brought SWAT teams, snipers, and drones, while smile-laugh-count would have been replaced by body-count.

yours, ~o:37;

p.s. what is this b.s. about April Fool's stunts having to be performed before noon ? That's certainly not traditional where I was bored.

Certainly where I come from it was /is only before noon.Anything after that the joke was/is on the original perpetrator.No joke!

• Like 1

Indeed. Note that the BBC spaghetti harvest documentary I posted above was broadcast in the evening. I can only suppose that the gentleman who made the morning only comment hales from a land with traditions that differ from those of the native English-speaking world.

April fools jokes are only done before mid day ,maybe that could be included in the test.

April fools jokes are only done before mid day ,maybe that could be included in the test.

It was before midday in the UK. So that's ok.

• Like 1

Should be some test for those females who you see walking round airport plaza barking orders at the young girl balancing a white toddler on her hips walking the regulation 3 paces behind them at all times.

Missionaries? Just teachin' the heathens some fear of God.

Indeed. Note that the BBC spaghetti harvest documentary I posted above was broadcast in the evening. I can only suppose that the gentleman who made the morning only comment hales from a land with traditions that differ from those of the native English-speaking world.

http://www.wikihow.com/Celebrate-April-Fool's-Day

http://www.wikihow.com/Celebrate-April-Fool's-Day

Ah! Presented with such a perfect opportunity to use a somewhat young person expression, how can I refuse: That's so helpful . . . Not! laugh.png

Not funny at all. Fail

Has the OP ever been remotely funny before ?

Regularly. Thank you Orang, although on opening the thread I was hoping for 90 day check in at the local police station.

• Like 1

Obviously an April Fool's joke. But, nonetheless, the OP needs a Thai Language lesson. The OP coupled the words "goo farang," and said it was an insult. He/she went on to say,

'For those of you not familiar with Thai insults: the word "goo" is an extremely deprecatory personal pronoun which is an absolute face-breaker of the eighth-degree; if you were to use this in conversation, it could well get you immediately involved in mayhem. So, after reading this, be sure and forget you ever saw the word: "goo" !'

Okay, "goo" is a personal pronoun and it is extremely impolite, though often used jokingly between good friends. However, it is strictly a first person personal pronoun that, in English" replaces is "me" or "I." Thus, to be used with the word farang, one might say, "Goo bin farang," which means "I am a farang," and is a very rude way to say it. The word is never used to describe somebody in the second or third person.

Now, one might wonder, how can I use a first person personal pronoun referring to myself and, yet, insult the person to whom I am talking? This is simply one of the strange differences between English and Thai. You can use an insulting first person pronoun, but the insult it to the person to whom you are speaking. There is nothing like this in English. If you walked into immigration and said to the officer, "Phom bin farang, krup." He might smile and say something like, "Tell me something I did not know." However, if you were to say, "Goo bin farang," he would be very insulted and you would more than likely have problems.

The very fact that the OP says that his Thai friend in immigration referred to the farang problem, 'which they are referring to covertly to at IHQ as "goo farang,"' belies the fraudulent nature of his post. No Thai would ever use "goo" in that context. So, OP, you need to go back to the drawing board and get to work on next year's joke. Only, please, if you are going to use the Thai language, run it past a Thai first.

And sorry I did not even read your entire post. I was unable to get past your obvious misuse of the word, "goo."

• Like 2

'Now, one might wonder, how can I use a first person personal pronoun referring to myself and, yet, insult the person to whom I am talking? This is simply one of the strange differences between English and Thai. You can use an insulting first person pronoun, but the insult it to the person to whom you are speaking. There is nothing like this in English.'

Simply fascinating, Ticketmaster, and I am so glad you explained it. English, of course, offers about as limited a choice as possible in the area of personal pronouns, for all persons. I have been struck by this in comparison with Japanese, my other language besides English. Japanese has what seems at times like an endless number of personal pronouns. And, as apparently in Thai, one must be careful about using only proper ones, in relation to the situation and the people to whom one is speaking. As you describe here, the use of some first person pronouns -- and second person ones too, naturally -- can in some cases be quite insulting.

Edited by Rasseru

The Eskimos have 31 different words for "snow." I believe Arabic is much more descriptive of emotions that English. But for technological detail, I suspect that English is hard to beat. I am not very good with Thai, but when I observe the amount of dialogue that seems to have to pass for a matter that would take a five word query in English and a one word response, it am forced to think that Thai lacks any efficiency at all.

What time does the hilarity stop?.

In the uk and countries to whom the Brits have passed their way of celebrating April Fool's day on the japes tradionally cease at midday. The idea is that if you try to prank someone after 12pm,then you become the fool.

Extract from Metro news UK.

After 12 noon and you are the fool ,where I was (bored) or should that be BORN??.