webfact

KLITY CREEK
Knowledge is the new weapon for villagers

TANPISIT LERDBAMRUNGCHAI
THE NATION
Kanchanaburi

30203191-01_big.JPG

The young must be educated to continue the battle, residents say

KANCHANABURI: -- More than 10 years has passed in their battle against health and environmental problems, but residents in a Kanchanaburi community nicknamed "the village of lead" will never forget the hardship that has cast a dark shadow over their lives.

The story of Lower Klity villagers' fight in Thong Pha Phum district has now been passed onto the younger generation, who are being given access to better education in an attempt to boost the knowledge of those on whom the future of the village depends.

Lower Klity villager Pracha Arunsrisuwan, 47, says that more than 10 years ago, he was one of many in this Karen community struck down by a mystery illness. The herbal remedies they usually used had no effect and failed to relieve the pain. At the same time, their cattle and poultry began dying for no obvious reason.

Finally, they heard rumours from outside the village that the water in Klity Creek, which they had used for generations, was contaminated with lead released by a mine.

"At that time we did not know we could fight the mine owner and request help from government agencies," Pracha said.

"Fortunately, the media has brought our problems to the public. The government agencies knew about this and helped us address the problem of lead contamination. But the help was not continuous and the problems continue to exist. So we organised among ourselves to claim our lawful rights, and the continuous news coverage has helped our battle in the courts.

"We feel that our generation of villagers are not knowledgeable. If our children also grow up without education, I cannot imagine what the future of our village will be," Pracha said.

With this concern, the residents have worked together to support education for their children. Those aged between two and four-and-a-half are attending a child development centre. The villagers gathered funds to establish the Lower Klity Village Kindergarten School last year to educate older kids aged five to six, before they enter primary education at Thungsuathon School, which is 20 kilometres away.

Parents are encouraged to send their kids to both village facilities as a way of instilling a love of their community, Karen local wisdom, culture and dialect.

Pracha's daughter, Sawitri Arunsrisuwan, is now a teacher at Lower Klity Village Kindergarten School. She said that apart from core subjects like Thai, English and mathematics, she also teaches local traditions, culture, dress, and writing of the local dialect.

"Of course, the story of our struggle is passed on to them so they can learn how their grandparents and parents came together to fight as one," she said.

Chalalai Nasuansuwan, a master's student at Chiang Mai University, is one product of the new enthusiasm for education among the families of Lower Klity Village. She has now become a mouthpiece for people here.

But she says that Lower Klity Village Kindergarten School is short of funding. One solution would be to place the kindergarten under the educational service area office, which would bring more funds but also an Education Ministry-approved curriculum and teachers from outside the village. "This would go against the villagers' desire to have their children learn about the local way of life from locals. We fear globalisation's negative impact. Local educational provision will protect our traditions and culture," Chalalai said.

Despite the problems, residents are determined to continue providing their own kindergarten education to children. They are even planning primary education in the village, in an effort to produce a knowledgeable new generation who cherish the village and will win the fight for its future.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-02

Good for the people of Klity Creek.

More people with more knowledge strikes fear into the hearts of those in "control" as they will lose that battle.

The more the common people learn the more embarrassing questions they will ask and the can and WILL change Thailand for the better.

The amart of ALL colours and stripes, Pu Yais etc can't keep the lid screwed down for ever and the quicker they change the less painful it will be for ALL Thais.

• Like 2

What a wonderful story. My heart goes out to these people and I wish there was some way I could help them in their struggle.Unfortunately, I cannot. Hopefully there are others who can and will. Wouldn't it be great if this idea of education spread to other communities? Just think of the possibilities. smile.pngrolleyes.gifclap2.gif