Tourists Cancel Trips To India In Wake Of Sex Attacks

News_Editor

<p>NEW DELHI, INDIA (BNO NEWS) -- Brutal sexual assaults in India that made international headlines in recent months have contributed to a sharp drop in the number of foreign tourists over the last three months, according to a new study that said scores of women have canceled their bookings.

</p>

<p>Sexual abuse in India has received international attention since a group of men brutally gang-raped a 23-year-old student inside a moving bus in New Delhi in December, prompting nationwide protests to demand justice and better protection for women. The victim later suffered severe organ failure as a result of serious injuries to her body and brain, resulting in her death at a Singapore hospital on December 29.

</p>

<p>While most cases receive little to no attention, there have been several prominent incidents since. A 39-year-old Swiss woman was gang-raped in March while on a cycling tour with her companion near a forest in the state of Madhya Pradesh, and a young British woman was seriously injured several weeks ago when she jumped out of a hotel window to escape a sex attack in Agra.

</p>

<p>India's Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry (ASSOCHAM) said Monday that the brutal attacks on foreigners has resulted in a 25 percent drop in foreign tourists in the last three months, according to a survey conducted among 1,200 tour operators across India. The number of female tourists has dropped by 35 percent, according to the survey.

</p>

<p>"During last winter season, Goa, Jaipur, Agra, and Kerala happened to be highly congested tourist spots but, due to recent incidents in India, there has been a substantial fall in the tourist traffic," said ASSOCHAM Secretary General D S Rawat, adding that the reflection of the Delhi gang rape is now visible across the country.

</p>

<p>The survey found that tourism has mostly suffered in New Delhi, followed by cities such as Agra and Jaipur. "While India attempts to enhance its image in the eyes of foreign tourists, [the sex attacks] has raised concerns about the safety of female travelers to the country," Rawat said, noting that the incidents have received international attention.

</p>

<p>ASSOCHAM said nearly 72 percent of tour operators reported cancellations of previously planned trips, especially by female tourists. The tour operators reported that most of the tourists who had canceled their trips were from the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, and Australia.

</p>

<p>"Some tourists have e-mailed in asking whether it would be safe to travel and some have changed their mind about traveling to India this year," one tour operator said, while some tourists have opted to travel to other Asian countries such as Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines, and Vietnam instead. "Those who are determined to visit India are taking extra precautions and avoiding affected areas."

</p>

<p>Rawat said the sex attacks may impact tourism in the long term and could affect the government's plan to increase the number of foreign tourists by 12 percent a year. According to India's Tourism Ministry, about 6.6 million foreigners traveled to India last year, earning the country some $17.7 billion in foreign exchange.

</p> <p> (Copyright 2013 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: [email protected].) </p>

This should be a shot across the bow for TL.

The Press smells the blood in the water(no pun intended).

These attracts on tourists are hot news presently.

The competition for tourist are growing,

and negative press like this, if in TL will hurt TL tourism more going forward.

I hope they don't change their travel destination to Cairo and the Valley of the Kings. This is good news by the way governments and the people they purport to represent should feel the consequences of their actions, or inaction as the case may be.

As much as I dislike India and all things Indian, I think the country is being penalized because of the ability to bring such cases to light. Unlike many other countries, such as those in the middle east, north africa, pakistan etc. where such crimes are not even discussed, India at least has vocal human rights groups that are making the issue known.

I do however, find it slightly amusing that India a country that has often shot its mouth off about respect for minorities & human rights is in one heck of a pickle now.

It all comes down to how woman are viewed in these countries in general. {quote: the middle east, north africa, pakistan etc} and the LOS attitude is not too different. I believe the death penalty is expected for the perpetrators of the student gang rape - but only because it's now such high profile and international news.

You never hear [or at least I've never heard] of the outcomes of the tourist rapes that are often reported on ThaiVisa - why is that you think?

Good. Hit India in the pocketbook. Whatever it takes for a sea-change in attitude re; rape. India is better about dealing responsibly with rape accusations than Pakistan and all the Arab lands east of there, but India still has a ways to go. There is still a somewhat coddling attitude toward rapists, with excuses being accepted ("oh, they're just young men and they have natural urges, .....plus the woman was not wearing prudent garments,...") ad nauseum.

• Like 2

Maybe if the rape incidents that happen in Thailand get as much publicity and tourism suffers for it something will be done about them. Fat chance, for that they would need a real police force and a genuine criminal justice system.

It all comes down to how woman are viewed in these countries in general. {quote: the middle east, north africa, pakistan etc} and the LOS attitude is not too different. I believe the death penalty is expected for the perpetrators of the student gang rape - but only because it's now such high profile and international news.

You never hear [or at least I've never heard] of the outcomes of the tourist rapes that are often reported on ThaiVisa - why is that you think?

And one rarely hears about the outcomes of rape in the west. The poor dears are often let out on parole after a short stay in prison. The press rarely covers such releases.

And one rarely hears about the outcomes of rape in the west. The poor dears are often let out on parole after a short stay in prison. The press rarely covers such releases.

Rape is generally a class 1 or class 2 felony in various states in US. Rape us generally class 1 if accomplished through force or accompanied by injury. The presumption of alternative forms of sentencing (probation or any form of suspended sentencing) is inapplicable to rape and aggravated rape. Judges cannot deviate below minimum sentencing guidelines of (25 years for class 1), but can order more based on presence of enhancement factors.

Parole eligibility for violent offenses such as rape, aggravated sodomy, child rape and etc. Are not typically parole eligible and may have to serve day to day.

"1) An offender will not become eligible for parole consideration who is serving a non-life sentence for a serious violent felony (rape, aggravated sodomy, aggravated child molestation, aggravated sexual battery, armed robbery, or kidnapping) committed on January 1, 1995, or later. Contrary to a common misconception, these offenders are not eligible for parole after serving 10 years on sentences greater than 10 years. An offender convicted for any of these offenses, and not sentenced to life, will serve the entire prison sentence without the possibility of parole."

http://oldweb.pap.state.ga.us/parole_consideration.htm

Edited by F430murci

I was just recently in India - interesting country with lots of interesting people, but also a lot of garbage on the streets and chaos in general. Unfortunately, India is not yet a women's society but in places like the universities Indian women are making progress. I look forward to my next visit in May.<br /><br />

• Like 1