Doi Suthep -Scooter Suitable?

willfreeman

For a beginner, go slow. There are a lot of nut-case drivers who come around mountain corners fast, and in the wrong lane. Stay to the left and go slow.

Most of the road is fine except near the top - oil, water, potholes, and a steep sharp hill.

Also, keep going up to Doi Pui behind Doi Suthep and even further (take the first right after Doi Pui goes to a nice lookout - when no smoke...).

(edit) An afterthought - the most dangerous part of the ride is probably after the last hill (the very steep one that has a very sharp left curve) before you reach the level road to the temple. There is a small lane that comes in from the left, and people come out of there quickly. And also people turn across the traffic to go in that lane. I have seen a few bikes wiped out by tuktuks and things right there. Just as you are coming onto that level road with all the little shops etc...

Edited by wjmark

Easy peezy! Just make sure you know how to ride one.

Its actually a doddle, ive taken a basic automatic scooter up Phu Chi Fa, Doi Inthanon, and Mae Salong..now THAT was a challenge! biggrin.png

Edited by eek
  • Like 1

Sure, a scooter will get you up to Doi Suthep.....its coming down you have to worry about w00t.gif

If you are on one of those "girlie" automatic scooter with the small tires I would be careful on rough road or off-road action,very easy to blow-out those type of tires since the bike is basically designed for street hopping in the city.

• 11 months later...

the road has recently been repaved (just days ago) the traction is much better than it use to be.

closer to the top there is some loose dirt to watch out for from the repaving.

Just remember going up is the easy part... But be careful when you are coming down as speed apcan pick up and it is a lot harder to stop... And if you ride the brake you might make a couple stops to let the brake drums cool down...

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 1

Absolutely fine but just watch out for any spilled diesel on the corners deposited by songthaew's.

Is there a law that say's only songthaew's are allowed to spill diesel?

Errr, no law that I am aware of!

But the most likely culprit.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app