Property Transfer On Death

eddy-ham

I am sure this has been asked before butI have not read it anywhere.

What happens to property owened by a non Thai on death either in Thailand or abroad

(OK I appreciate you cannot own legally anything except a condo).

What is the best way to set up a will or arrange the passing on of the property to non Thai relatives.

A little morbid but i would like any estate to go to the correct people, I am not married to a Thai

and don't expect to be...........!

Relates to houses, land and condos.

Imformative ans please........ don't buy.............won't do.

Many thanks Ed

Quite simple really ... you make a will.

Go to a lawyer and make a Thai will (plus an english translation) for any property

you may have in Thailand, possibly about Bt, 7,000 fee.

Get a lawer in your home country to make up a will to cover any property you may have there.

Naka.

Key Visa charges over double that fee.

Can anyone recommend a competent Thai lawyer in Pattaya that charges more like 7,000?

A Thai will should cost no more than 3000 baht .

Call Khun Naronglit 038412812 and ask for a quote.

Edited by COBBER

For info. If you (a farang) own anything in Thailand, you must have a Thai will. A will made in your own country is not valid or legal in Thailand.

If you are married to a Thai who owns land in Thailand, he/she must leave a will and the Farang has a certain length of time (6-12 months, not quite sure) to dispose of the land.

For info. If you (a farang) own anything in Thailand, you must have a Thai will. A will made in your own country is not valid or legal in Thailand.

If you are married to a Thai who owns land in Thailand, he/she must leave a will and the Farang has a certain length of time (6-12 months, not quite sure) to dispose of the land.

mr bj, who told you this? It is not true! A will drafted in the UK, or USA, is valid and legal in Thailand. For presentation in Court it must however be translated into thai and authenticated at MFA. Of course the content must also be legal in Thailand. Many thai lawyers will try and tell you this is not the case, and seem to want more money for drafting a will than in the UK. If you know someone independent who understands thai fluently, you can get a public will for about 100 baht. More acceptable than one drafted by a lawyer.

mr bj, who told you this? It is not true! A will drafted in the UK, or USA, is valid and legal in Thailand. For presentation in Court it must however be translated into thai and authenticated at MFA. Of course the content must also be legal in Thailand. Many thai lawyers will try and tell you this is not the case, and seem to want more money for drafting a will than in the UK. If you know someone independent who understands thai fluently, you can get a public will for about 100 baht. More acceptable than one drafted by a lawyer.

Interesting Dragon. A friend of mine who has lived in LOS for about 6 years, told me this last year and only last month it is was advertised on Sophon cable TV in Patters by some legal company. Only in LOS eh :o

Interesting Dragon. A friend of mine who has lived in LOS for about 6 years, told me this last year and only last month it is was advertised on Sophon cable TV in Patters by some legal company. Only in LOS eh :o

Whatever the truth of the matter may be, and I have no doubt that Dragon is correct. I reckon it would be much less hassle to have a Thai will prepared by a decent Thai Lawyer for property in Thailand. The cost involved is minimal, compared to having to drag a foreign will through the courts of Thailand, to have its authenticity established, etc :D

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

Interesting Dragon. A friend of mine who has lived in LOS for about 6 years, told me this last year and only last month it is was advertised on Sophon cable TV in Patters by some legal company. Only in LOS eh :D

Yes, and if you complained under the thai equivalent of the "trades description act" ( yes there is such a thing :o ), they would say "ah, but it isn't legal until you get it translated and authenticated". You would probably then get done for defamation and spend 6 months in jail. :D

Can anyone recommend a competent Thai lawyer in Pattaya that charges more like 7,000?

Before I made my Thai Will I rang several Thai lawyers in Pattaya asking for quotes.

The absolute minimum I was quoted was ฿8,000, and all pointed out it would depend on the content.

Several quoted a band of ฿8,000 to ฿14,000.

Clearly the level of detail, extent of assets and number of beneficiaries will affect the final price.

My Will went into to some three pages, appended with a stack of ownership document copies etc.

I was given four (as per my instruction) notarised copies of the full set with separate English translation (which I had independently verified) for a price of ฿12,000.

One set now forms part of my UK Will.

I was initially surprised that the cost was so high, but that seemed to be the going rate in Pattaya at the time.

That was about a year ago.

I was quoted 7,000 including the translation at the Lawyers office in Soi Post Office.

Can't remember the name, north side of the soi.

Naka.

Before I made my Thai Will I rang several Thai lawyers in Pattaya asking for quotes.

The absolute minimum I was quoted was ฿8,000, and all pointed out it would depend on the content.

Several quoted a band of ฿8,000 to ฿14,000.

Clearly the level of detail, extent of assets and number of beneficiaries will affect the final price.

My Will went into to some three pages, appended with a stack of ownership document copies etc.

I was given four (as per my instruction) notarised copies of the full set with separate English translation (which I had independently verified) for a price of ฿12,000.

One set now forms part of my UK Will.

I was initially surprised that the cost was so high, but that seemed to be the going rate in Pattaya at the time.

That was about a year ago.

Absolutely crazy prices for one of the simplest ( in most cases) legal documents :o

All the wills I drafted in UK took no longer than 1 hour to draft, plus say 1 hour meeting.

Public Will forms may be obtained from the Amphur office. Even "holographic wills" are legal in Thailand, that is scribbled on a piece of paper and signed with no witnesses. Although before presentation to Court it still has to be translated and authenticated, as english is not accepted in Court.

As a separate point, there is no Public Notary in Thailand, but registered lawyers are accepted under thai law for signature.

As a separate point, there is no Public Notary in Thailand, but registered lawyers are accepted under thai law for signature.

Yes, you are quite right of course. I should have put the word in quotes as that was the term the lawyer used when saying he could legally sign. :o