Dogs Chasing Bikes And Cars In Maenam, Soi 2.

Hi,

Sorry if this has been posted before but i couldnt find any recent related posts...

Ok, so I live on Soi 2 in Maenam and there are some vicious dogs that charge at cars and bikes daily and it's getting worse- this scares the bejesus out of me and the road is unfortunatley the only way I can access my house. The other western locals and Thais shout at the dogs, beep and also try to dodge them but I was wondering what the heck I can do to make my commute a little easier- I dread it every day. sad.png

Common sense tells me to contact the owners to ask them to lock the gate to the complex they stay in, however, I am unsure if it is Thai or westerners living there and I daren't approach the complex for fear of getting bitten.

Any advice out there please?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dogs are encouraged to chase, by their 'pray' running. Best thing to do is retrain the dogs. Next time in your car when you pass, come to a complete stop if the dogs chase the car. Don't drive off until they calm down and stop barking. If most people do this, the chasing of cars will soon stop. They will get used to this, and you can then try it on the bike. First time best to do with 2 or more bike riders together. Dogs chase and bark? You stop. Then ignore the dogs completely. Only drive off when the dogs are calm. Warning; 4 dogs or more can show pack behavior, then do not try this on a bike unless you outnumber them. Do not shout or threaten the dogs. Just ignore them and claim your ground. Good luck.

.....or call Ceasar Millan laugh.png

Dogs are encouraged to chase, by their 'pray' running. Best thing to do is retrain the dogs. Next time in your car when you pass, come to a complete stop if the dogs chase the car. Don't drive off until they calm down and stop barking. If most people do this, the chasing of cars will soon stop. They will get used to this, and you can then try it on the bike. First time best to do with 2 or more bike riders together. Dogs chase and bark? You stop. Then ignore the dogs completely. Only drive off when the dogs are calm. Warning; 4 dogs or more can show pack behavior, then do not try this on a bike unless you outnumber them. Do not shout or threaten the dogs. Just ignore them and claim your ground. Good luck.

.....or call Ceasar Millan laugh.png

My mentor...

• Like 2

Tasers do the trick with vicious dogs that attack moterbikes so i'm told.

Not as well as a jiff lemon (or similar-a small water pistol full of vinegar etc). The Taser thing sounds macho enough but this option has a range of 2-4 meters (a taser requires contact), is rechargeable & can be suspended from the wing mirror of a 'chicken-chaser' without attracting adverse attention.

One squirt is enough for the offending animal(s) to acknowledge a 2 meter exclusion zone whenever your paths cross in the next few weeks. There'll be plenty of noise but you'll be given free passage & your calves won't have become lunch:)

HTH

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

Always carry a big stick and let it be known by anyone and anything around that you are willing to use it. If it's a small pack then judge which one is the Alpha a put your attaention on that dog. When that one backs down the others generally follow.

Unless they are in bigger packs, picking up a medium-sized stone in plain view, juggling a bit with it, maybe throwing one in their direction once or twice, usually does the trick for me, they seem to have a hell of a respect of those stones.

Talking with the owner more often invites trouble than not, in my humble experience.

Talking with the owner more often invites trouble than not, in my humble experience.

For sure.

The owners have seen me take a good hefty swipe at their dog with the crutch I use to walk with and generally call their dogs to them if they see me.

Seems like fair game to me smile.png

We have em around my way once the lights go out and you just have to give em a boot.... frankly

If you did complain to a local about this they would think you were some sort of wuss and laugh at you. This is not West Kensington.

• Like 1

May be i missed something, but dogs chase cars and bikes and its vicious?blink.png

Did dogs bite anyone? Not according to your post.

So you are scared? and hence dogs became vicious?

If there was a group of drunk guys, would they also be rapists?

Or if they yelled a few words in your direction, would they then be hardcore criminals?

Maybe try one of those ultrasonic dog anti barking devices. A friend of mine was harassed by dogs on his daily run. He carried this thing around on his keys and as far as I know never had a problem after. Suggest you take some pepper spray too should your battery ever run out.

Yes. My own experiences & also the knowledge of dog attacks (at lest in America). In Thailand, there is no animal control, no (Thai) animal training. Its TiT as always for generations. A wild society which I embrace. And as we conclude, the need to protect yourself from random animal attacks by whatever means or strategies. Whether it be human or another mammal.

I don't like cats because I'm allergic to them, but would NEVER kill an animal that is NOT a threat to my or other's I care...life.

My words & done with this topic.

Again, where does it say in OP dogs attacked or bitten? Who cares what happens in US or anywhere else, the thread is about dogs running after cars-totally harmless.

You advocating FIRST to hurt a dog and then to KILL it.

You like animals but you do not like cats because you allergic, is that really a logical excuse?blink.png

You would never hurt an animal and yet in the same post you advocating not only to hurt it but to kill it after its hurt.

Thank god you are done with this topic, as i am not sure i could handle any more contradicting drivel out of you

Hmmm. If I am attacked by a dog/s or perceive I have a good chance I will be attacked by a dog/s then I will kill said dog/s. The people who choose not to do so will for the most part not pass on their genes while those who do, will. We can choose to fight it but ultimately evolution is the master.

Strain the peppers out of your fish sauce and put in a small hand squirt gun (make sure the squirt gun does not leak first) do not handle sensitive bits or eyes, wash hands after filling.

I did this in Bangkok when I ran, 2 particular dogs always nipped at my heals. One squirt in the eyes or ass will do the trick, no permanent damage to the dog.

It seems this method imprints deeply on the dogs memory, they never chased me again, watched me pass but no chasing.

May be i missed something, but dogs chase cars and bikes and its vicious?blink.png

Did dogs bite anyone? Not according to your post.

So you are scared? and hence dogs became vicious?

If there was a group of drunk guys, would they also be rapists?

Or if they yelled a few words in your direction, would they then be hardcore criminals?

Great postsmile.png

Tell me, do you know anyone that has had a bad accident because they were taken out by an agressive street dog that charged out at them? Obviously not.

see if you can get a cattle prod. i have not sympathy for dogs owner if they let there dogs play on the road and they get run over. n

not fair on the dog but a road is ment for cars and dogs have no right of way. stray dogs can be moved to a temple.

a few jabs with an electric cattle prod shall make them stay away as they shall associate pain with you

I have deleted several posts & replies condoning killing the animals & ways to do it. Amazing what some humans can do, perhaps it should be tried on them.

i dont suggest killing th dogs but if the dogs do get hit by a car then i hold the owners responsable as they say no such thing as a bad dog only a bad owner

Edited by BigC
  • Like 1

Emsaree, how long have you been living there?Are you riding a bike or driving a car?We have lots of dogs out here also and there are far better ways to deal with them besides trying to scare them away.

Always carry a few hand fulls of dry dog food with you,when they start chasing you just stop and slowly throw some food at them.I guarantee you within a week or so they come running when they hear the sound of your motorbike or your voice but they will be happy to see you and they will no longer show aggression to wards you.

Yes, dogs do not bite the hand that feeds them.

I've been thinking about this problem. We have one dog in the area that runs loose, mostly during the day (it's obviously somebody's pet). Into yards and crapping and chasing motorcycles. I've been thinking about getting one of those very loud compressed air horns for my motorcycle, the kind they use for emergency signaling from boats in the West. Also, a few weeks ago I heard a motorcycle that had a loud, high-pitched horn. A dog came after him and when the driver hit the horn, the dog took off the other way. This was in Khon Kaen (with a Thai driving), so they must be available somewhere around the country. However, I haven't been able to find out where to get them. If anybody knows about these, I'd like to hear where to get them.

In my experience coming face to face with a pack of 8+ strong running riot thinking it was a good idea to chase me proved the wrong decision, I had come off my bike in the jungle terrain of wat chalong and carrying with me only my motorbike helmet. I found becoming the attacker instead of the victim was the best option. Using my helmet in a violent swinging motion in an attempt to crack one of the dogs skulls like a watermelon and yelling at the top of my voice whilst chasing the pack back into the trees worked a treat. You have to be become the animal and show no fear for they are simply mutts! You sir need to grow some balls!

• Like 1

Emsaree, how long have you been living there?Are you riding a bike or driving a car?We have lots of dogs out here also and there are far better ways to deal with them besides trying to scare them away.

Always carry a few hand fulls of dry dog food with you,when they start chasing you just stop and slowly throw some food at them.I guarantee you within a week or so they come running when they hear the sound of your motorbike or your voice but they will be happy to see you and they will no longer show aggression to wards you.

Yes, dogs do not bite the hand that feeds them.

Are you seriously suggesting bike users carries dog food with them?! So intime presumably every dog makes a bee line for a motorbike thinking a meal is fast arriving.

Thats utterly mental!!biggrin.png

Emsaree, do you know someone who has experience with dogs and understand their show off?

Maybe you could ask such a person to share a ride on the bike with you on this soi, pass through the dogs controled area, and give you his (or her) feeelings on the risks and how to behave ?

This could lower your apprehension.

I am a cyclist. I have two bottle cages on my bike, one of which usually carries vinegar. I have re-trained many dogs by squirting them with vinegar. Usually a drop anywhere on the dog is enough to dissuade them, because their sense of smell is so important to them. I consider it a bonus if I get them in the eyes. Guaranteed you'll never see that cur again. Don't flame me for animal cruelty for two reasons: 1) I have a right to defend myself from irresponsible owners and their vicious, untrained dogs; 2) the dog's blindness from vinegar is temporary.