North Korea Moves Missile As World Watches

webfact

North Korea repositions missile as world watches

SEOUL: -- North Korea appears to have moved a medium range missile capable of hitting targets in South Korea and Japan to its east coast, the South's Yonhap news agency reports.

The movement was detected by both South Korean and US intelligence, Yonhap said, citing military and government sources.

"It appeared that the object was a Musudan mid-range missile," it quoted one South Korean official as saying on Thursday.

"We are closely monitoring whether the North moved it with a view to actual launch or just as a show of force against the US."

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/world/north-korea-repositions-missile-as-world-watches-20130404-2h8ot.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2013-04-04

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NK's are really so sure of themselves, just like Saddam was and remember how long his regime lasted! They have a nuclear bomb that they have let off uderground and have no conception of what happens when it goes off above the ground, they have not seen the damage it causes and all their tiny explosions were smaller than Hiroshima, much smaller. They seem to be spoiling for a fight and in some ways I think the US would like the opportunity to end this once and for all, before they can send missiles to the US mainland, it would also be a lesson to other would be's in the middle east, I hope it does not come to a conflict but its racheting up for one, I am glad its not on my doorstep or flight path. Common sense is something NK seems to be short of, like most things there.

• Like 1

The NK's are really so sure of themselves, just like Saddam was and remember how long his regime lasted! They have a nuclear bomb that they have let off uderground and have no conception of what happens when it goes off above the ground, they have not seen the damage it causes and all their tiny explosions were smaller than Hiroshima, much smaller. They seem to be spoiling for a fight and in some ways I think the US would like the opportunity to end this once and for all, before they can send missiles to the US mainland, it would also be a lesson to other would be's in the middle east, I hope it does not come to a conflict but its racheting up for one, I am glad its not on my doorstep or flight path. Common sense is something NK seems to be short of, like most things there.

Sabbam's quote .

The Mother of All Battles

The land-based PATRIOT system will soon be joined by U.S. ships en route to the area, the USS John McCain and the USS Decatur. Both are Aegis-class warships, meaning they're capable of intercepting and destroying ballistic missiles "above the atmosphere during the midcourse phase of a hostile ballistic missile's flight."

The holistic anti-North Korean missile system will also be bolstered soon by the deployment of another missile defense system to Guam, the Terminal High Altitude Air Defense (THAAD).

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-us-allies-could-shoot-203912481.html

And that's just what we're allowed to know... I imagine there is quiet a fireworks display ready in case NK pulls any stunt.

Edited by keemapoot
  • Like 1

On the east coast that would be for a strike at Japan, since there's no way that model of missile can reach even Hawai or Alaska.

mid range can be upgraded to full range

At worst NK could deliver a couple 100KG conventional explosive on there missiles. They do not have the payload capability to carry the primitive nukes which NK have developed.

If countries were children in a playground, NK is an arrogant, spoiled, bully-ish sort, and simply needs to be punched in the nose by a classmate whom he pushes too far, be given a suitable punishment in school and have his teacher talk to his parents. Then he needs to be watched and make sure his behavior turns around over time. Unfortunately the geo-political playground doesn't quite work as simply as that.

< Off topic comments removed. >

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 2

This means even more isolation from the international community, - and that means even more isolation for NK.

It is a very serious situation, because their options are now to "put up or shut up" The shut up part will probably come from outside. The USA does need any further excuses to bring that regime down - and they will most likely do it.

We will have to wait and see if he uses these missiles on the 10th or 11th of April, as this is the deadline he has given Sth Korea to have all of their workers and citizens out of the Nth Korean factories close to the border. 6 days and counting, or is it countdown?

Let's just hope it dosent go so far that any one pushes the big red nuke button

On ether side

I firmly belive the USA wont do it unless NK does it first And the consequences would leve a mess not only in NK with terrible results for civilians in and around NK

A world wide ban on Nuclear Powerd weapons

1 big step for mankind in the right direction

The world community is always on the Iranians about their nuclear program but what about NK ? The kind of rhetoric and threats coming out of Pyongyang along with the deployment of these missiles dwarfs anything Iran has ever done. Had they done so it would be raining bombs over Tehran. So why not NK? I think the Korean leasership have clearly made an case for any one or coalition country to conduct a pre emptive stike. And about time I say. A little softening up from the air may well be enough to change the status quo amoungst the Korean people.

At worst NK could deliver a couple 100KG conventional explosive on there missiles. They do not have the payload capability to carry the primitive nukes which NK have developed.

a "primitive" explosive device weighing 5kg distributing a miniscule amount of "primitive" 1kg non-weapon grade Plutonium dust can make a city of several million inhabitants uninhabitable for decades!

so much for payload capability dry.png

The land-based PATRIOT system will soon be joined by U.S. ships en route to the area, the USS John McCain and the USS Decatur. Both are Aegis-class warships, meaning they're capable of intercepting and destroying ballistic missiles "above the atmosphere during the midcourse phase of a hostile ballistic missile's flight."

The holistic anti-North Korean missile system will also be bolstered soon by the deployment of another missile defense system to Guam, the Terminal High Altitude Air Defense (THAAD).

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-us-allies-could-shoot-203912481.html

And that's just what we're allowed to know... I imagine there is quiet a fireworks display ready in case NK pulls any stunt.

Interestingly no mention of any of the carriers groups, dont suppose one or 2 will be too far away though.

Kim knows exactly what he's doing and what nuclear weapons are (there for). Don't mistake him for a wicked maniac. At least so far nobody has been that sick and actually used them apart from the Americans. Twice.

What exactly do you think he is doing? I dont think he understands the way America thinks, he thinks if he were America and that different, its a long time since we have seen brinksmanship like this, 1962 and something was going on 1980ish when all 1st aid trained medics were put on special alert, never did find out exactly what was going on, but then, the general public are the last to know.

Well we all have a good idea whats going on whilst the water festival is under way.

Easiest way to resolve this is get China involved. China definitely doesn't want a Nuke going off anywhere near it's country, they know that nobody wins a nuclear fight. The fallout would be devastating especially if the USA was pushed to retaliate by hitting them with one of their Nukes, even the smallest version they have one would destroy the largest city in NK. It's just posturing, I say ignore them and feel very confident China and even Russia would step up and put the hammer down if things started to spark.

Last thing anyone needs right now in Asia is a full out war on their doorsteps, of course, stupid things do happen and normally it's because of stupid irrational people.

• Like 1

I think the scariest part about all this is how insignificant the media/world is portraying Kim Jong-un. People joke about him. He's like the little kid that has big bully's picking on him and he has something to prove after being bullied.

In real gangs, typically it's not the real hardcore gangsters you worry about. They are mostly predictable. Cross them, come in to their territory, Offend them, and you're in trouble. It's the wannabes like Kim Jong-un that want to prove something to the world that are unpredictable.

If countries were children in a playground, NK is an arrogant, spoiled, bully-ish sort, and simply needs to be punched in the nose by a classmate whom he pushes too far, be given a suitable punishment in school and have his teacher talk to his parents. Then he needs to be watched and make sure his behavior turns around over time. Unfortunately the geo-political playground doesn't quite work as simply as that.

I'm not for warfare, but if this stand-off goes down that path, I at least hope the good guys end it (as Americans did in WWII with the use of nukes) and NK is taught a lesson or two or six or twenty-seven.

Do agree with that.

But you must replace NK by NK leaders.

NK people are already suffering a nightmare for decades.

a "primitive" explosive device weighing 5kg distributing a miniscule amount of "primitive" 1kg non-weapon grade Plutonium dust can make a city of several million inhabitants uninhabitable for decades!

so much for payload capability dry.png

Yes, a dirty bomb or biologicals could be used. I was speaking to the specific threat by NK of nuclear weapon attack, the type that go boom.

“North Korea may have been able to develop a warhead over the past

decade that is small and light enough to be delivered using a Nodong

missile, but there is insufficient information to make a confident

assessment,” according to the International Institute for Strategic

Studies. - Washington Post

However I don't think that NK was considering Western slang when it named its missile "Nodong". http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/dong

Oh dear!