Chalerm: Immigration Bureau Needs To Implement Tougher Screening On Foreign Arrivals

webfact

Chalerm plans to set up new anti-terror center

BANGKOK, 4 April 2013 (NNT) - Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung plans to set up an anti-terror center, following the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)’s report that Thailand is one of the region’s most vulnerable terrorist targets.

Police Captain Chalerm who oversees national security said the Immigration Bureau needs to implement tougher screening on foreign arrivals as the country’s lax immigration policies and relative freedom has permitted regional terrorist movements to steadily build up influence.

After a meeting with the Department of Special Investigation chief Tarit Pengdit, Pol Capt Chalerm said the new command center is poised to tackle violent crimes and international terrorism threats.

The FBI has warned Thailand ranks top of the region as a possible terrorist target and ranks fifth in the world as a possible target for terror attacks.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-04-04 footer_n.gif

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just returned to thailand from an eight day visit to Cambodia, what a joy pleased to see you anxious to grant on arrival visa ASAP welcomed by immigration oh so different, return to thailand with proper marriage visa extension and greeted like we really are not welcome hvae to renew later this year expect again more hasstle, I support about ten people in thailand and still not welcome not complaining because if you do not like it leave as I was told by one immigration official, I choose to live here and most of the time so long as I satay away from immigration I am very happy

Right, no need to socialize with them, so they become somewhat irrelevant.

It should have been implemented years ago, tougher visa regulations, ie criminal history checks would be a good start. Perhaps a linked computer to Interpol to cross check as well

Exactly, and one or two weeks in quarantine in a detention center for tourists before allowed entry for ALL! Until everything is clarified in detail!

"When are you born? Where are you born? Why are you born?" - tongue.png

• Like 2

It should have been implemented years ago, tougher visa regulations, ie criminal history checks would be a good start. Perhaps a linked computer to Interpol to cross check as well

Exactly, and one or two weeks in quarantine in a detention center for tourists before allowed entry for ALL! Until everything is clarified in detail!

"When are you born? Where are you born? Why are you born?" - tongue.png

With some esteem guests just tattoo cross checks is enough to know what jails they have called homebiggrin.png

• Like 2

To do this I would think closer co-operation with foreign intelligence and border control authorities is needed. Some sort of global database that just raises a flag as soon as the person tries to enter. Not easy to implement perhaps, but long term it makes sense. Wouldn't cause any more delays than we already experience too.

To do this I would think closer co-operation with foreign intelligence and border control authorities is needed. Some sort of global database that just raises a flag as soon as the person tries to enter. Not easy to implement perhaps, but long term it makes sense. Wouldn't cause any more delays than we already experience too.

Such a data base already exists, linking to it or ability to access it is they key. Though not sure if some officers can be trusted to use computer for more than one operationbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Better enforcement inside the country, and a higher entry and training standards for police recruits might also help to ensure government staff are motivated and willing to enforce laws. If internationally wanted individuals whether they be terrorists or wildlife traffickers feel free to roam the streets without fear of apprehension by the authorities, lax law enforcement is the main reason Thailand has the reputation it has. Interesting who is talking up the need for more stringent law enforcement.

• Like 1

Interpol already has online communications in place for all member countries, Thailand being one. Will depend on authorised Thai staff to actually access the system Refer http://www.interpol.int/About-INTERPOL/Priorities

"We run a secure global police communications and support system (known as I-24/7) that connects all 190 National Central Bureaus (NCBs), along with other authorized law enforcement agencies and strategic partners, allowing them to instantly access, request and submit vital data"

Edited by simple1